PDA

View Full Version : So many different opinions

twinkle3005
19-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I Read this link and was really surprised at some of the replies. I only read a few but was shocked by some opinions and how little some childminders charge. It also shocked me that a lot of people still don't realise what we childminders have to do once we're registered and still see us as 'babysitters'.

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/lifestyle-8/work-study-childcare-44/135368-how-much-does-your-childminder-charge.html

Jo xx

Blaze
19-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Ahhh - netmums:rolleyes:

Not very childminder friendly there:( :angry:

....You'd be shocked at a few other threads as well!!!!:eek:

miffy
19-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I stopped reading that thread before I got too cross!

Nothing like an open, friendly debate :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
19-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I saw this yesterday and was quite surprised to see a couple of replies to a thread that is essentially over a year old.

I know of cms within 20 miles of me who charge £3 ph and others who charge £7ph There will always be a wide difference for all sorts of reasons. Where I used to live we were all charging about £3.50-3.75ph and some new cms registered and cahrged £1ph :eek:

We still filled our vacancies and so did they.

Pipsqueak
19-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I think its a really old thread!

jaja
19-08-2009, 02:45 PM
I read this and got my knickers in a twist and posted this.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth L(66)
I think that is a lot of money especially for a child minder. Normally they are unqualified and charge what they want. Dont think there is and hard and fast rules over what can be charged.
I looked into it but decided against it as i was qualified and didnt fancy the paper work side of things. Most i have spoken too are charging between £2 and £2.50. And thats the max. Hope this helps. i think area and that does matter too. You can search the web for a list of registered chilminders and see what they charge and compare. liz x
"normally unqualified" i think that you should get your facts straight first, I am a fully qualififed registered childminder, i hold first aid, diploma in home based childcare (level three,graded a) music links courses, food hygiene, parent support, and many many more courses which enable me if i wanted to to open a nursery and manage it. The reason why i dont is because i want to be near my children with them when they do things for the first time and be the first person they turn too if they need someone.

I charge £3.00 per hour, more for unsocialable hours, extra for food and outings, for this i provide, entertainment, safety, security, care, warmth and a homely envirnoment.

I then spend time with the most precious thing a person can have, a child. I teach and show them things, we learn and care together and build a network of friends staring form birth to 14 years old. Once a child has one home we then settle down to do paperwork, Early Years Foundation Stage observations and planning for the next key steps for children (same as teachers do for students)then i ensure all my other paperwork is upto date, insurance, contracts, toys are clean and safe, risk assessments are updated, websites are watched and updated and then collect, manage and provide ofsted with all the information they need to inspect us (just like schools ,my last beig 5 hours and i got an outstanding, same as school levels)

So i think £3 is really low especially when you are restricted to numbers and income, and the amount and the level of care and service that we provide.

I only provide care for 2 children (ofsted registered for 6) at any one time as i feel that i can provide the best level of care including my own children, therefore my min wage with one child is £3 then minus at least £1.50 for outgoings (food, water, heating, lighting, resources etc)then i make a profit of £1.50 per hour.

Show me a job which does everything that i have mentioned 52 weeks at year and are flexible to what ever needs your parent wants whilst providing a suitable place for your little one to attend. "

rant over with, feel better now xxxx

sue m
19-08-2009, 03:07 PM
I stopped reading that thread before I got too cross!

Nothing like an open, friendly debate :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

I'm not even going to read it - this time!!! :angry:

childmind04
19-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm not even going to read it - this time!!! :angry:

nor me, i always end up knotted with the cheek of some of the replies :angry:

nannymcflea
19-08-2009, 06:09 PM
It's a very old thread. I still read it though and for "that other site" it was actually tame!:rolleyes:

Tatjana
19-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Oooh, I'm such a twit, I went and had a read and am now quite irritated :angry:

xx