PDA

View Full Version : Wow my ds age 7 just said something amazing

youarewhatyoueat
18-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Just had a very profound conversation with ds age 7, he came in and said if someone kicks me I kick back, he knows this is wrong so he said thats how I feel.
I said ok what colour does that make you feel like
he said red
he noticed the blue background on my laptop and said if he drank blue water it would put the fire out in his tummy when he gets angry
I was so stunned and amazed
So we had a quick chat about when he goes back to school if he feels angry hes going to drink out of the fountain.
Lets hope it works he does have slight anger issues and Ive taught him to walk away in the past which works some of the time.
But I was reading about this colour thing some time ago.
Wow doing this nvq is certainly giving me some good ideas and its actually beginning to sink in.
Thought it may help someone else but i'm actually quite proud of him and wanted to share.

miss mopple
18-08-2009, 02:18 PM
wow. Bless his heart, I hope it helps :thumbsup:

LittleAcorns
18-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Wow Caroline, what a fantastic idea!!! what a clever little boy!

nannymcflea
18-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Do let the teachers know of your/his plans when you go back to school and that if HE is doing something about HIS anger then the person who has kicked/hit him should be reprimanded and made to deal with theirs too.

My dd (6) was bullied for ages until she pushed 2 of them over, she'd had enough, she'd controlled her anger for months!Luckily the teacher saw her side, she wasn't punished but was told it was wrong...as the teacher had to.

Oh and well done to your ds for such a proactive thought.:D

jess
19-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Its great when they can figure out their own way to deal with things!
my dd once said that angry is like a strong ball in her stomach, so I told her to grab hold of it and throw it away as hard as she can! {looks a bit odd sometimes but hey it works for her!}:)

mandy moo
19-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Just had a very profound conversation with ds age 7, he came in and said if someone kicks me I kick back, he knows this is wrong so he said thats how I feel.
I said ok what colour does that make you feel like
he said red
he noticed the blue background on my laptop and said if he drank blue water it would put the fire out in his tummy when he gets angry
I was so stunned and amazed
So we had a quick chat about when he goes back to school if he feels angry hes going to drink out of the fountain.
Lets hope it works he does have slight anger issues and Ive taught him to walk away in the past which works some of the time.
But I was reading about this colour thing some time ago.Wow doing this nvq is certainly giving me some good ideas and its actually beginning to sink in.
Thought it may help someone else but i'm actually quite proud of him and wanted to share.

How does this work Caroline?
My 10yr old son has a few slight anger issues, Maybe this would help him?

youarewhatyoueat
19-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I wish I could remember where I read about this,or seen it on the tv, but a child has to visualise how they feel and express that feeling in a colour, then they have to try to see the colour that they want to feel. But I also like the ball of anger in the stomach and throwing it away. Its all about visualisation, its easier for children to express how they are feeling. I've a friend studying psychology and will ask her.

her8y
19-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Wow. Thats so cool. I bet you were stunned and sooooo proud.:D

Will try this with my son. Bottles things up for ages then the wrong person gets it!

mandy moo
20-08-2009, 07:42 AM
I wish I could remember where I read about this,or seen it on the tv, but a child has to visualise how they feel and express that feeling in a colour, then they have to try to see the colour that they want to feel. But I also like the ball of anger in the stomach and throwing it away. Its all about visualisation, its easier for children to express how they are feeling. I've a friend studying psychology and will ask her.

That would begood, thanx

youarewhatyoueat
20-08-2009, 01:22 PM
This is an interesting read and also if you google colour viualisation to control anger and anger management in children it comes up with some recent cognitive behavioural techniques, Beck1988, Ellis 1994, Faupel et al 1998 and they make some interesting reads as well.

youarewhatyoueat
21-08-2009, 11:03 AM
bump for mandy

chewy sweets
21-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh bless he's so clever! Fingers crossed it works. I might try the colour thing with my mindees now! :laughing: