PDA

View Full Version : A bit confused with full obs or post its or notes

katickles
17-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I am quiet happy doing my observations now (another one has finally gotten their head around linking to EYFS & next steps:D - well most of the time:laughing: ).

BUT - I am a little confused as to what type of ob I should be doing sometimes. That probably makes no sense so will try & explain better.

This month I have already done 2 detailed written up observations. Both times I have done full ones as mindee had done something for either the 1st time (wow moment) or the 2nd ob was because she had finally grasped something that we had been working on.

Now today we have been talking about our bodies - where is your head? Where is your eyes? etc & again she is now able to show me the majority of body parts I ask her about.

Now I could go on & write this as another full observation, which I don't mind, but am concerned that I am maybe going to end up with to many full on observations.

I have a page in her folder that has post it note on, when I have noted just little things, but I do tend to write a more detailed ob instead.

How do you actually write your obs - am I on the right track or should I maybe try & simplify it ??

Eileen322
17-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I use the observation sheet from the active learning book. I sometimes stick the post it note on the 'what did the children do' part, then fill in where it links to the EYFS and briefly fill the other bits. If I want it detailed I fully complete the observation sheet, including photos ect.

Eileen

Pipsqueak
17-08-2009, 02:36 PM
I use post its or address labels for those quick wow moments (like Iz today managed to get her shoes on teh right feet and do them up herself) when I don't have a camera handy or we are out and about and i have nothing to write an obs on (and no I don't carry post its!!! lol I do it when we come back).

These labels just get stuck on a sheet in the folder (dated)

tashaleee
17-08-2009, 08:53 PM
This is one of those areas where there is no right or wrong answer unfortunately.... I know lots of childminders and we all do it differently - from a roll of labels they fill in, to post it notes, to scraps of paper to write up later, to own forms they have designed, to forms handed out via LAs.

As long as you are happy I dont think it matters - you could easily have a mix of long written obs and post it notes if you are happy with that system....

sarah707
17-08-2009, 09:02 PM
A post it note is useful as a guide for how much writing you might be doing for a quick observation...

It works on the principle of keeping it short and sweet :D