PDA

View Full Version : 7 seater 4 x 4's which is best?

Paws
17-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Hello!
I need to get a bigger car to accomodate mindee's. Unfortunately it has to be a 4x4 as we need one to tow the horse trailer at weekends. My current 4x4 will have to go. Can anyone reccomend a 7 seater 4x4? Are the additional 2 seats on the 7 seater Discoveries acceptable for child seats?

Thank you.

Pipsqueak
17-08-2009, 09:37 AM
with regard to the rear seats best to check with insurers and NCMA I would think.

We have a kia sedona and that pulls our caravan (all 23ft of it - fully laden plus car fully loaded) no problems, the kia also pulls a quad trailer with 3 quads on no probs

Paws
17-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi.
The Kia Sedona can only pull 2 tonnes which is no good for us as it would mean towing illegally at weekends. But thanks anyway!

flora
17-08-2009, 02:25 PM
What sort of budget do you have paws????

I think you can't beat a good landy but the newer ones are prone to a few engine and gearbox probs.

With lwb you can tow the box no probs :D

Jen4Kids
17-08-2009, 02:29 PM
My brother had a Landrover which he had to sell as the rear seats (the ones in the boot) couldnt take booster seats, at the time he had a newborn in a rock-a-tot seat which would only fit in the front (made looking in the mirror quite hard) then 3 in high backed boosters as well as another adult, so unless one of them sat in the boot with the pushchair and shopping, then they couldnt all go out together :(

He then got a Vito van against all protests from his wife which he installed another row of 3 seats to make it a 6 seater :laughing:

anneriddington
17-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I have a Toyota Landcruiser Colorado, love it love it :)
Bonus is it has 8 seats all forward facing not like to ones in the discoverys and we to our 8m twin axle caravan with ours with ease.

Mine is a diesel and is lovely and comfortable and the little ones always say "we love your big car Anne". Not too heavu on the juice but hey what can you expect its a big heavy car.

Paws
17-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Oooohhh, Colorado sounds good! Maybe I'll give one a test drive. Do you find it a bit big to park?

Jen - Do you know which sort of LR your brother had? I have just spoken to a LR dealer and he said the new Discovery 3 should take child seats in the back no problem (but then he would say that, he's trying to sell me one!)

Flora, I think budget will be around 18K so I'm guessing a second hand Disco 3?

anneriddington
17-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Oooohhh, Colorado sounds good! Maybe I'll give one a test drive. Do you find it a bit big to park?

Jen - Do you know which sort of LR your brother had? I have just spoken to a LR dealer and he said the new Discovery 3 should take child seats in the back no problem (but then he would say that, he's trying to sell me one!)

Flora, I think budget will be around 18K so I'm guessing a second hand Disco 3?

No, hubby has an insignia estate and i find that harder on mine you can see the bonnet where it ends etc really well, have a go in one.

helenlc
17-08-2009, 08:07 PM
My friend has the Toyota Landcruiser - its lovely.

kingdom
18-08-2009, 10:57 AM
my husband has just bought me a volvo xc90 which is a 4x4 and has 7 seats so it will be interesting to see what its like , i also need to tow a trailer but only have fell ponies so they are not so heavy as some.

Jen4Kids
18-08-2009, 09:53 PM
I dont know what reg his LR was, but the two rear seats flipped down and faced inwards so by law, you cant use booster seats on them hth xx

Paws
19-08-2009, 06:52 PM
I am getting so confused.
So, in a 7 seater, is it illegal to put actual childseats on the additional 2 seats at the back which fold down? Or is it ONLY illegal if those seats fold down then face sideways as opposed to forwards?

childmind04
19-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Its the type of folding action i think, something to do with the locking of the seats, i have a verso that the seats fold down and this is fine as i checked but we asked about the peugot 309 that you can add seats too (facing each other ) and our insurance company would only insure adults to use these seats????