PDA

View Full Version : PHOBIAS

It's a small world
16-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi

does anyone have any phobias and know how they started ????

Been out today watching hubby play cricket and there were loads of butterflies out....sorry I knaw they are pretty and everything they still scare the hell out of me.

It came about when I first started dating hubby and he took me to the local park and where there is a butterfly house. He asked if I would like to go in and I said yes thought it would be nice........however................i thought they would be behind glass...:doh: as soon as we walked in one the size of my hand flew straight in front of me..dh said its the quickest he has ever been through the place....:laughing: laughing aside ever since I have been terrified of most things that fly...moths...'floaters'-(yes another one) oooohhhh just talking about them is making me feel sick :panic: ...also scared of ants after previous house got infested....I do like some things honest...(guess minibeasts was not a good topic to have just done with lo's:blush: )

What about everyone else ???

LOOPYLISA
16-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Spiders :eek:

Crabs :panic:

Frogs :(

Moths, not keen on butterflys (we went to the butterfly farm last weekend :laughing: )

nannymcflea
16-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I USED to be scared of spiders and thunder storms.

My mum gave me these phobias, she would make us hide under the stairs during a storm and would scream and get the neighbours in when we had a spider.

When I had my kids I refused to pass these on. It has been tough sometimes but I can now cope with storms( though don't like being outside in them) and spiders, I can put them in a glass and get them outside.

My kids have both held tarrantullas and take no notice of storms.

I now have a fear of heights, though not so much without the children....I fear for them falling, I have had nightmares about them running next to cliffs...I guess it's a control thing :( but I will overcome this, it's getting easier now they are getting older and less likely to run off.

zillervalley
16-08-2009, 08:15 PM
fire engines, I freeze, dont know why, never had a fire in my home or at mums home

ziller

Gizmo
16-08-2009, 08:16 PM
mmmm I cant stand slaters (woodlice) oh they give me the willies :blush:

misst104
16-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I too am scared of anything that flies!! I especially hate pidgeons - creepy red feet!!!! I am also terrified of horses ( I was bitten by one when I was 14) although I can be near them without freaking out.My brother owns a livery stables so I've kind of had to get over that one. The birds however, no way!!!!! :)

xxx jo

LOOPYLISA
16-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I USED to be scared of spiders and thunder storms.

My mum gave me these phobias, she would make us hide under the stairs during a storm and would scream and get the neighbours in when we had a spider.

When I had my kids I refused to pass these on. It has been tough sometimes but I can now cope with storms( though don't like being outside in them) and spiders, I can put them in a glass and get them outside.

My kids have both held tarrantullas and take no notice of storms.

I now have a fear of heights, though not so much without the children....I fear for them falling, I have had nightmares about them running next to cliffs...I guess it's a control thing :( but I will overcome this, it's getting easier now they are getting older and less likely to run off.

This is very true, because ive always screamed the house down, dd is scared to death of spiders now :panic:

We once were sat on the kitchen work top for ages untill hubby came down and saved us from a HUGE spider !! :laughing:

Dotty
16-08-2009, 08:37 PM
going in lifts and small spaces.:laughing:

it all started when I went camping to Reading Festival - got a bit tipsy and went into my friend's tent. I couldnt breathe and felt very claustophobic and had to spend the weekend sleeping in my little mini!!!

It's a small world
16-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Just thought of a couple more.....sorry mids still on the butterflies ....

Heights
Heights over water..:eek:

couple of weeks ago went on the London Eye :eek: had eyes shut all the way round...made the mistake of looking up and down as we were the next one to be at the top..then closed them until we wer about 3 from bottom..

Also done paragliding in Jamacia...had dents in my hands for about 2 days from where I held onto parachute so hard...had a majo freakout when they dipped me in the water....

Neither of these have cured me onf my fears...

Glad ds's haven't got any fears..little weary of spiders but I have overcome my fear of these (only if they are no bigger than thumb can put in glass and take outside)

Bit of a wimp really aren't I.....I'm really not selling myself here am I :blush:

Watch out probably more on the way :laughing:

cabby
16-08-2009, 08:45 PM
:blush: :blush: FISH :blush: :blush:

havent a clue how it started, i dont even remember it starting just know that i have never liked them, we have marine fish in the front room and im ok with them because they havent got fish faces:laughing:

oh and dead fish are even worse than live ones!!!!!

sweets
16-08-2009, 09:14 PM
BUTTERFLIES! i think they look very pretty from a distance but if they flutter round me i hate it! I recently had to walk through a butterfly house as was with friends and didn't want to look a wimp, i vertually ran through and was absolutely sweating by the time i got out!

Daddy Day Care
16-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Im scared of heights, hate then, feel sick climbing a little ladder, but nyet when i climbed mount kilamanjaro and was thousands of eet up i loved it

Lou
16-08-2009, 09:26 PM
OMG i have so many phobias

spiders

moths/butterflies

bats

rats

crocodiles

hairnets

tights

birds

god its a wonder i actually get through the day!!!!

Daddy Day Care
16-08-2009, 09:27 PM
so sorry i klnow its not nice to laugh at someones phobias but lmao @ hair nets, sorry again :blush:

Pipsqueak
16-08-2009, 09:32 PM
small enclosed spaces
lifts

heights can't go up Blackpool tower but I am happy as pie on the Big One (rollercoaster or other high type things like that EXCEPT the drop tower thingys) - I think its because I am strapped in! lol

Small spaces and heights leave me panicky - short of breath, head spinning, shaky knees the whole lot - totally leaves me cold
If we are somewhere - for example when we were in Whitby last weekend walking along the quayside - huge big drop down to the water, I grabbed the kids and walked the furthest side from it! Kids think its hilarious:rolleyes:

Don't know when it came on

misst104
so sorry i klnow its not nice to laugh at someones phobias but lmao @ hair nets, sorry again :blush:

me too. Sorry! Do you have much contact with hairnets Lou??? :D

xxx jo

Pipsqueak
Im scared of heights, hate then, feel sick climbing a little ladder, but nyet when i climbed mount kilamanjaro and was thousands of eet up i loved it

Wow - amazing acheivement DDC. When did you do that. Start a new thread and talk us through it - any pix?

Daddy Day Care
16-08-2009, 09:35 PM
had a crappy camera when i went but have got pics, last time i tried to put pics on here the next day they dissapeared but will try tomorrow when i can see straight....

one thing i can say foir sure other than the birth of my children was the best experience of my life

Lou
16-08-2009, 09:41 PM
me too. Sorry! Do you have much contact with hairnets Lou??? :D

xxx jo

LOL i know its silly but i mean those nylon stretchy ones they phsically make me feel sick, i used to work in McDonalds a long time ago and if you were cooking you had to wear one, and i physically couldnt touch it, so some one else had to put it on me and take it off and dispose at the end of the shift!!! YUK YUK YUK.

Its the same principle with tights, once you have worn them they go all saggy and gross and OMG i have gone cold all over just talking about it.

OK i know you are all thinking i need to go to the funny farm!!!!!

It's a small world
16-08-2009, 09:43 PM
going in lifts and small spaces.:laughing:

it all started when I went camping to Reading Festival - got a bit tipsy and went into my friend's tent. I couldnt breathe and felt very claustophobic and had to spend the weekend sleeping in my little mini!!!

Another one...lifts....got stuck in one for 20-30 mins on my own saw emergency phone and some b*****d had ripped it out.:eek: After pressing every button several times eventually moved and got out. Don't go in one on my own..even if with my ds(2) wait until someone else goes in or go to another shop...

Do I have the record for most phobias :clapping:

It's a small world
16-08-2009, 09:44 PM
BUTTERFLIES! i think they look very pretty from a distance but if they flutter round me i hate it! I recently had to walk through a butterfly house as was with friends and didn't want to look a wimp, i vertually ran through and was absolutely sweating by the time i got out!

snap ... as you can see from first post ..:eek:

It's a small world
16-08-2009, 09:53 PM
small enclosed spaces
lifts

heights can't go up Blackpool tower but I am happy as pie on the Big One (rollercoaster or other high type things like that EXCEPT the drop tower thingys) - I think its because I am strapped in! lol

If we are somewhere - for example when we were in Whitby last weekend walking along the quayside - huge big drop down to the water, I grabbed the kids and walked the furthest side from it! Kids think its hilarious:rolleyes:

Don't know when it came on

Ive done Eiffel Tower / Empire State Building. (lifts and heights :eek: ) Was going to do Statue of Liberty but it was 6 weeks after 9/11 and was not open...ooh did have a helicopter ride around it (not alllowed too close as restrictions..look at that more heights over water)

Done loads of high things...but only as I say to myself if I don't do it will never never get the changce again..at least I can say Ive done it..who cares if I didn't see anything..only get to see what it was like when I see the piccies my husband takes get developed lol :laughing:

Cant believe Ive done loads of things Ive been scared of but nothing cured my fears..may have to get in touch with Paul Mckenna (sp)

Pipsqueak
16-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Can't believe I forgot slugs - gross gross gross things

yuk yuk yuk

Twinkles
16-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm scared of heights and frogs and slugs.

They're not phobias though these things are really dangerous.....................:laughing:

My daughter is scared of..................velvet ?? .............go figure :rolleyes:

Trouble
16-08-2009, 10:56 PM
heights

sharp corners in the road:( :( :(

sounds silly but hey :D

Minstrel
16-08-2009, 11:31 PM
same as above- falling!

especially phobic about my kids falling.

Flying- to the point where i get a pill from the doc

Anybody else needing first aid- fine with myself getting hurt but if anyone else does- i freak out and have a panic attack- i'm going to be such a rubbish CM :panic:

Cazz
16-08-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't like spiders, rats or mice and not keen on heights but I suppose my real phobia is birds etc flying around me in an enclosed space. It started when I was young and we had a budgie that my brother let out of the cage and it flapped around the room and our heads like mad - scared the living daylights out of me!

happytotschildminding
17-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Ever since I was little I've been petrified of balloons - cant remember the exact time it happened, but mum made me have balloons every birthday party (despite me begging her not to) and I'd run upstairs to get away from them, same for christmas, we had to have balloons dangling from the ceiling above the fire = which made them move when it was on, (making my palms sweat just writing this) - spoiled birthdays and christmas for me. Now I try and ask if there'll be balloons (had to miss the school fair:( ), have to check before I take the kids to parties and they know they're not allowed to bring any home. How sad am I - dont even want therapy for it cos they face you with your fear:panic: Afraid of nothing else though - just as well really!
Carol

Tatia
17-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Mine is water. I can't swim because I have panic attacks. I know how to swim but when I'm in it, especially on my own, I feel that I'm going to be attacked from below by...something. Sharks are my biggest fear. Even in a swimming pool that I can clearly see contains nothing. Doesn't matter. My body takes over and I freak out and tuck my legs up and flail for the side. My heart races, I feel sick, I have no control over the way my body reacts.

My father swears it's because I watched Jaws when I was a little girl but I think I had the phobia before then and that's the reason the movie scared me so much and not the other way around. He'll tell me I loved swimming but I always say 'Dad, just because you enjoyed throwing me into the water doesn't me I enjoyed it!'

I think it stems from a past life experience, I really do.

Mollymop
17-08-2009, 07:28 AM
I am scared of

Spiders,
heights
looking through telescopes (although I love astronomy , someone has to be there with me while i am looking out to sea or up in the sky through one)

Driving near rivers
water

FussyElmo
17-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Heights!!! Well getting there if I can see below me its an issue. I can go on any rides if I can get to the start. Couldnt do Blackpool tower went with some friends freaking at the thought of it but one of my friends dd was scared so I volunteered to stay with her!!!

Can deal with anything else!!!

It's a small world
17-08-2009, 08:50 AM
same as above- falling!

Anybody else needing first aid- fine with myself getting hurt but if anyone else does- i freak out and have a panic attack- i'm going to be such a rubbish CM :panic:

I don't do blood...wasn't very good on first aid course..had to keep looking away when videos were on...I have actually passed out on a number of occassions at the sight of blood :blush:

Any children I have are going to love me....don't do insects (flyng ones anyway/climbing frames out of the question...-heights/no running incase of blood lol :laughing: ..)

Risk assessments...v long lol..guess Im goipng to have to be brave....;)

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
17-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Frogs is mean I hate them if I see them I just scream and scream hubby thinks it is so funny but he does get cross sometimes and says oh they will not hurt you, I know that but I just hate them with a passion.:panic:

2045amanda
17-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Dentists - started when had tooth pulled as a child and dentist didn't tell me what he was doing!! just did it.

Spiders - don't know when this started!!

sue m
17-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Heights for me too. Even seeing people on the telly on a high building makes my palms all sweaty!!!! :o

Bazza
17-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Spiders. And i know how it started. A long time ago, and i mean when Scooby Doo was a new TV show, my parents both worked so i was (rather ironically) looked after by a childminder.

One hot summer day in the garden as i recall, i was eating my lunch. A ham sandwich with white bread. It was in a green plastic tupperware bowl. The son of my childminder who was older than me come over to me and had his hands cupped, and being a small boy i didnt suspect anything as he opened his hands and dropped a massive (to me at the time) spider on my sandwich. I remember freaking out and dropped my sandwich on the floor of the garden.

Since then i have never liked spiders. Cant even look at them without shivering (doing it now just thiking about it).

So yeah, emotionally scared for life by the actions of a nasty child.:(

emler
17-08-2009, 04:19 PM
spiders

heights

snakes

sandpaper

feet - especially mens naked feet - they freak me out :eek:

LOOPYLISA
17-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Frogs is mean I hate them if I see them I just scream and scream hubby thinks it is so funny but he does get cross sometimes and says oh they will not hurt you, I know that but I just hate them with a passion.:panic:

Frogs :eek: :panic:

venus89
17-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Vomit

I know nobody likes it but it's controlled my life to a degree.

I'm a lot better now but I used to walk half a mile out of my way to avoid a spot where somebody had recently been sick (in the last week or two......). My husband has to deal with the kids if they throw up. I try to avoid fast rides at fairgrounds, pubs late at night..... Any situation where I think people may be. I also discounted Primary School teaching and nursing as careers because of people being sick. I can remember incidents of people being sick twenty or more years ago.

I've been a lot better since I worked out where it came from - there was a boy at my primary school called Chris Eccles. We'd only just started so I could only have been 5 at the most. He sat next to me whenwe had lunch and for some reason every lunchtime he was sick - over his plate. I don't know how long it went on for but it must have been at least a week or two because I know sometimes I was sat next to him, sometimes opposite, sometimes diagonally opposite. And every time we ate, he's throw it all up again and I'm sure that's where my phobia of vomit came from and possible has soemthing to do with the eating problems I had in my teens.

If I ever meet chris Eccles again I think I'm goig to stamp on his toe :laughing:

venus89
17-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I don't do blood...wasn't very good on first aid course..had to keep looking away when videos were on...I have actually passed out on a number of occassions at the sight of blood :blush:

When i was at secondary school we were watching a dissection video and one of the girls fainted. She was sitting on the table, fell down, landed on another girl on her way down and gave the other girl concussion :laughing:

RedDragon
17-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Ever since I was little I've been petrified of balloons - cant remember the exact time it happened, but mum made me have balloons every birthday party (despite me begging her not to) and I'd run upstairs to get away from them, same for christmas, we had to have balloons dangling from the ceiling above the fire = which made them move when it was on, (making my palms sweat just writing this) - spoiled birthdays and christmas for me. Now I try and ask if there'll be balloons (had to miss the school fair:( ), have to check before I take the kids to parties and they know they're not allowed to bring any home. How sad am I - dont even want therapy for it cos they face you with your fear:panic: Afraid of nothing else though - just as well really!
Carol
I'm not fussed on balloons - it's the unexpected bang I don't like - but I stood on 1 years ago just to put myself out of misery (1 Christmas Eve) and fell and broke my wrist :panic:

My big big BIG fear is dogs - most types - next door neighbours moved in and I got the estate agent to put my house up for sale - they had an Alsatian who I thought would be vicious who turned out to be soft and sweet - I can actually touch him if he is on a lead and sitting quiet :) so luckily didn't have to move.
Have always been scared of dogs and will only go to a park if accompanied by an adult who is prepared for me to virtually piggy back them if a dog approaches (I'm not small - think Welsh Prop Forward).

It's a small world
17-08-2009, 07:20 PM
When i was at secondary school we were watching a dissection video and one of the girls fainted. She was sitting on the table, fell down, landed on another girl on her way down and gave the other girl concussion :laughing:

OH NO Poor thing..

I used to work at ASDA on the deli...one night when we were cleaning a girl slit her finger open and blood went everywhere..i took one look and passed out..did get carried into the office by the store hunk though..the girl then came in to check if I was ok told me she was fine..showed me her finger...and yes passed out again:blush:

Eldest son cut chin open at nursery had bandage wrapped around his head to stop the bleeding had to sit a t nursery for 5 mins to compose myself...got to hospital(not a good place for someone who doesn't do blood) anyway I was told to hold his head whilst the glued chin together..almost went then, then had to sit outside for 10mins before taking him home as almost went again...got stop writing feeling a little lightheaded....no more talk of blood :panic:

Amaranth
17-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I am scared of level crossings!!
I will go out of my way to avoid driving over one. I am quite happy if the lights are flashing and I can watch the trains go past but I hate actually going over the tracks?! I think it is the fear that the signals might not work properly and there might be a train coming to get me! :eek:
I have to close my eyes as we go over them (although how this would help me if a train was coming I have no idea!:laughing: )
I must just add though.......I don't close my eyes if it is me that is driving :D

I'm also not keen on old wooden piers. I cant look down through the gaps in the wooden slats. It just makes my legs go to jelly. I have no fear of heights though, so no idea where the fear of piers came from?!

breezy
17-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Clowns :eek: they really freak me out:eek:

oh and Monkey of course:D

nannymcflea
18-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I am scared of level crossings!!
I will go out of my way to avoid driving over one. I am quite happy if the lights are flashing and I can watch the trains go past but I hate actually going over the tracks?! I think it is the fear that the signals might not work properly and there might be a train coming to get me! :eek:
I have to close my eyes as we go over them (although how this would help me if a train was coming I have no idea!:laughing: )
I must just add though.......I don't close my eyes if it is me that is driving :D

I'm also not keen on old wooden piers. I cant look down through the gaps in the wooden slats. It just makes my legs go to jelly. I have no fear of heights though, so no idea where the fear of piers came from?!

Piers is one of mine too but again only since I've had kids. I fear the pier collapsing and I'd only be able to grab one child....:eek:

jaytravis
18-08-2009, 03:24 PM
mine is ants after my sis had a picnic set when we were kids and took it upstairs without being washed i woke up covered in ants they were everywhere in my hair , mouth , we had ants once in the house i took everything out the front room and cleaned everywhere hubby said he had never seen me move so fast nad clean so much lol
also raw meat makes me feel sick i cant pick it up even if its wrapped up i n the supermarket makes me balk

LOOPYLISA
18-08-2009, 04:07 PM
mine is ants after my sis had a picnic set when we were kids and took it upstairs without being washed i woke up covered in ants they were everywhere in my hair , mouth , we had ants once in the house i took everything out the front room and cleaned everywhere hubby said he had never seen me move so fast nad clean so much lol
also raw meat makes me feel sick i cant pick it up even if its wrapped up i n the supermarket makes me balk

Eeewww raw meat :panic:

ORKSIE
18-08-2009, 07:22 PM
My Phobias are....
Spiders

Tomatoe Pips

Clowns

Men in drag

People inside those costumes,Eg Pudsey Bear ( Mascots I think their called)

nannymcflea
19-08-2009, 12:26 PM
My Phobias are....
Spiders

Tomatoe Pips

Clowns

Men in drag

People inside those costumes,Eg Pudsey Bear ( Mascots I think their called)

Wonder where the "men in drag" one came from...Mr ORKSIE?:laughing:

Forum Widower
19-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Okay, know i'm a big burly man but not ashamed to say - Needles. And no, i don't mean knitting needles i mean needles used for injections.

Never had a problem with them until i was 8 years old and had to go to hospital for tetanus after managing to impale my foot with a fat 10" screw. Anyhow, the nurse insisted administering the injection in my thigh, not a problem until she started to remove the needle and it promptly snapped in my leg and blood started spurting everywhere.

Suppose i should have a phobia of nurses rather than needles but that would have totally ruined a very exciting certain aspect of my marriage, just as well its needles then eh? :blush:

FW

ORKSIE
19-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Wonder where the "men in drag" one came from...Mr ORKSIE?:laughing:

OMG Who told you, thought taat was a well kept secret:eek: :laughing:

Minstrel
19-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Suppose i should have a phobia of nurses rather than needles but that would have totally ruined a very exciting certain aspect of my marriage, just as well its needles then eh? :blush:

FW

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!!! :eek:

ORKSIE
19-08-2009, 04:45 PM
TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!!! :eek:

:eek: I missed the POINT of that comment:laughing: :jump for joy:

Bazza
19-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Its interesting that many peoples phobias seem to be picked up as children through traumatic events.

Does anyone have a phobia that is related to something that happened in their adult life? I wonder what the cut off age for "learning" a phobia is?

childmind04
19-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Im quiet glad i dont have any major fobias after reading some of your stories :eek: i am a bit scared of wasps but i can ignore them most of the time :)

sweets
19-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Its interesting that many peoples phobias seem to be picked up as children through traumatic events.

Does anyone have a phobia that is related to something that happened in their adult life? I wonder what the cut off age for "learning" a phobia is?

lifts never used to bother me, was quite happy to go in them, but i have a friend who won't use them at all, she has made me scared of them too! i will go in with other people but am not comfortable, and will never go in one on my own.

Twinkles
19-08-2009, 08:00 PM

I think I'm beginning to be scared of children :rolleyes:

Sarahbelle
19-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Spiders for me. My mother used to scream when she saw them! And my DD is scared of butterflies.

ORKSIE
19-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Buttons is my phobia:eek:

Bazza
20-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Buttons is my phobia:eek:

You mean like buttons on clothing? I have this vison of you turning on your PC with a long sitck...!

I did see a show on TV a while ago about a lady with a button phobia and they cured her by slowly exposing her to more and more buttons to the point where she was literally showered with them. I never watched the spider one as i would have hated to see someone get showered with them....!:eek:

ORKSIE
20-08-2009, 11:59 AM
You mean like buttons on clothing? I have this vison of you turning on your PC with a long sitck...!

:
Nope the button on here we are afraid to push:laughing:

It's a small world
20-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Nope the button on here we are afraid to push:laughing:

This topic should be avoided ....:panic:

ORKSIE
20-08-2009, 12:23 PM
This topic should be avoided ....:panic:

I totally agree:ROFL1:

village kids
20-08-2009, 12:46 PM
I have one phobia..............wait for it!
I am scared of vomit:panic:
I have not been sick myself for over 10 years even though i'd have felt better
if i had i can sort of talk myself out of it,
I cannot clean up after my own children my husband has to do it:blush:
I don't go out drinking with certain freinds anymore if they have a tendancy to puke,when i go cinema,theatre or concert i make sure i am right at the wall so nobody has to run past me to be sick:panic:
I have re-accuring nightmares where i'm in a nightclub & someone is running at me to be sick,hands covering their mouth,I move left,right,left & they dont make it & chuck up down my shoulder/back.
I cannot bear even the wretching spitting sounds my stomach knots up & i get a lump in my throat & feel like i can't breathe,Horrible:eek:
I love holby & casualty but watch with either fingers in ears or eyes closed!
I don't know where it came from/started i have had it as long as i remember:( :( the proper name for this is Emetophobia.I think childminding may help me overcome it:idea:
does anyone else suffer from this?
Claire X

buildingblocks
20-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I have many fears and a few I class as phobias (I wonder where the difference is)

My main phobia is spiders and I mean any size hubby and I tend to disagree how big a spider is big. I am absolutely terrified and did once spend three hours on the sofa refusing to get off as one was sat on the floor watching me and tried to make hubby climbing the front room window t get in the house as I refused to get of the sofa to unlock the door for him - he won that time. The strange thing is when I am with the children I still won't touch them or go near them but do not have the hysterics I would if they weren't there. I am the same with thunder and lightening but this stems from when I was about 20 and I was in a park in St Albans and two children were killed sheltering under a tree in a thunder storm.

My other real phobia which I have no idea where it stems from is affecting my life as a childminder. I cannot bear to be near or touch or smell play dough. I have even tried some with lavender oil in which I love the smell of and couldn't go near it. I make parents aware of this phobia and they know I do not use it in the setting so I do not pass on my fear to the children and they are okay with this. They access it at the Children Centre groups we attend and the staff know I won't be near it with them.

village kids
22-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Vomit

I know nobody likes it but it's controlled my life to a degree.

I'm a lot better now but I used to walk half a mile out of my way to avoid a spot where somebody had recently been sick (in the last week or two......). My husband has to deal with the kids if they throw up. I try to avoid fast rides at fairgrounds, pubs late at night..... Any situation where I think people may be. I also discounted Primary School teaching and nursing as careers because of people being sick. I can remember incidents of people being sick twenty or more years ago.

I've been a lot better since I worked out where it came from - there was a boy at my primary school called Chris Eccles. We'd only just started so I could only have been 5 at the most. He sat next to me whenwe had lunch and for some reason every lunchtime he was sick - over his plate. I don't know how long it went on for but it must have been at least a week or two because I know sometimes I was sat next to him, sometimes opposite, sometimes diagonally opposite. And every time we ate, he's throw it all up again and I'm sure that's where my phobia of vomit came from and possible has soemthing to do with the eating problems I had in my teens.

If I ever meet chris Eccles again I think I'm goig to stamp on his toe :laughing:

Re: PHOBIAS...sorry it's long!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am scared of vomit too venus 89
I have not been sick myself for over 10 years even though i'd have felt better
if i had i can sort of talk myself out of it,
I cannot clean up after my own children my husband has to do it
I don't go out drinking with certain freinds anymore if they have a tendancy to puke,when i go cinema,theatre or concert i make sure i am right at the wall so nobody has to run past me to be sick
I have re-accuring nightmares where i'm in a nightclub & someone is running at me to be sick,hands covering their mouth,I move left,right,left & they dont make it & chuck up down my shoulder/back.
I cannot bear even the wretching spitting sounds my stomach knots up & i get a lump in my throat & feel like i can't breathe,Horrible
I love holby & casualty but watch with either fingers in ears or eyes closed!
I don't know where it came from/started i have had it as long as i remember the proper name for this is Emetophobia.I think childminding may help me overcome it?
Glad i'm not the only one on here to suffer from this condition.
Have you ever thought about/had any treatment?
claire X