PDA

View Full Version : on line security

mushpea
16-08-2009, 05:56 PM
i am going to let the minded children use my computer (we are getting a new one) but am wondering what to do about security, how do i stop them accesing sites that are shall we say 'rude'?
have tried the parental controls but when i put certain words in the search bar i still come up with the 'wrong' sites
really would love them to access all the good sites like cbbc etc but am concerned about what they see, it is in the kitchen and i would be in there with them when they are on it but obviously they can still see stuff b4 i get to it to turn it off.
is there some free downloadable security software somwhere?

sarah707
16-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I use this - http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

It is free and very secure.

It's a pain to start with if the older ones want to browse, but once you've set it up with ok sites it retains them and you don't have to mess about again.

It wuffs and locks them out if they push it to go somewhere they shouldn't! :laughing:

Also set up a desktop that does not have download privileges and clean it every day with www.ccleaner.com to get rid of all the rubbish kids can't help but collect as they browse.

Hth :D

FizzysFriends
16-08-2009, 06:07 PM
You can buy software to put on, but I have put their favourite sites into a favourites list and they are only allowed to use those, no googling allowed. If they want to go on a site thats not in the favourites then they have to ask me to get the site for them. Has worked so far.