PDA

View Full Version : Storage...

flossybeth
16-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I know it's probably on here somewhere but I can't find it; so I'm asking for ideas please.

I don't have a dedicated playroom so most of my indoor play happens in our living room, up until this weekend it's worked fine (I have a large Ikea TV bench with drawer under which has been fine) but this weekend we have finally given our soon-to-be 7 year old his own bedroom (he's been sharing with his sisters but now wants room for his lego!), which means we no longer have a spare room to house all of the "extra" toys that didn't fit into the living room (such as jigsaws and games for the older mindees who know what we have so can ask for it rather than need to see it to want it etc) and I'm at a loss as to how to fit it into the front room without being avalanched - so far I've been piling it on the top of the unit but it is in danger of toppling as soon as someone pulls a game out from the bottom.

So what I really would like to know is how do you store jigsaws/games etc? I was thinking more Ikea storage but don't want to "lose" puzzles in the bottom of pull-out drawers.

Many thanks for any ideas,
Jay

ZoeAlli
16-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I am fortunate enough to have a playroom now which I keep all the toys in!
I have a homemade ( by dh), large, locking cupboard unit which houses my own childrens toys(those that are special to them!), on top of this we have screwed two wooden shelf units, side by side to the wall- these hold colouring books, older childrens' books, my resource books and small piece games. We also have a free standing shelf unit which i stack games on, books and videos.
If your jigsaws are small piece ones you could always put them in labelled, plastic zip bags and put them in their boxes, stacked on a shelf. I have done this with most of mine as I had had enough of trying to find all the pieces in the bottom of the box.
HTH
:)

childmind04
16-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Im like you and use my living room, i have some toys stored in my ds bedroom who is the same age as you ds and this room is registered so the older ones can go up and choose and a couple who i trust can play games which the youngers ones might spoil or if i have crafts on the large table, i just use baby mointers and check on them if they are quiet ;)

I have had to extend into the garden and got a 6x4 metal shelf which is floor to ceiling shelving where i store other toys which are not being used, then i have the photo book so children can see, i also have the 3 tier trofast in living room plus a few extra bits on top :)

jeanybeany
17-08-2009, 12:43 PM
At the moment I store all my toys etc upstairs in my childrens bedrooms but am just in the process of doing the back garden which will have a shed so they can all be moved. Then I am going to do a photo book so the children can choose. In my living room I have two storage towers (the plastic ones) which I use to rotate the toys round. For the older children I have to go and get what they want and bring it down.

I would love a playroom but with a quote of almost £30,000 to extend to the size of a garage, it's never going to happen (lol).

mammumof4
17-08-2009, 03:01 PM
i use my shed and i have labeled clear plastic boxes stacked ontop of each other and a few other larger items around them,its organised chaos! not sure what i will do when the weather gets cold as its just a wooden shed and the roof isnt great! :panic: ive also got a walk in locked craft cupboard and i keep all sorts in there! all my craft stuff, paperwork, oh and dog food, treats and his brush! :blush: :blush:

might try and make space in there for buiscuits, snacks and juice that i buy for minded children but my own kids swipe it all !!:blush: :blush:

helenlc
17-08-2009, 08:16 PM
We have recently had a conservatory built and I have some Trofast storage out there.

I also have the cupboard under the stairs which has my files, books and otehr resources in.

I still feel like I have no room though and would love more but its storing it all. I like the idea of a shed but already have a play house and hubby's large shed in the garden, so am in danger of it looking like a shanti town out there soon!!!:laughing:

buildingblocks
20-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I am very lucky in having a dedicated playroom but puzzles and games are on shelves in the front room. They used to be in a cupboard with doors on and the children never accessed them freely unless I got them out. We had an alcove and we had a friend build some shelves in for us and since then the puzzles have been accessed on a daily basis by the children themselves

TheBTeam
20-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Just an idea but do you have space on a landing that you could put a narrow book case that the boxes could sit on, I have a three draw white plastic unit on my landing that i keep all of the craft stuff in, it goes slightly across the doorway of my dd's bedroom but has never been a problem.