PDA

View Full Version : Help please? Will explain later

jessie1
16-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I just had a 2 year old and 5 year old dropped off to provide overnight care for supposedly Sunday to Wednesday AM. (that is another part that I will explain later)

But mum left 5 year olds Asthma pump at home so went back (she should have been back already) but her 2 year old is so much in every way like a 14-15 month old, hardly walks, uses lots nappies when i care for him during the day. Just checked the bag, mum left only 10 nappies. He just did a right old stinker meaning 9 is left. How many times does a a child that age need to be changed. My daughter is 21 months but dry quite a lot.

This mom is messing me about a lot and basically waiting for her to get back to tell her to take the kids. As yesterday after much trouble she gave me £100 deposit from 16th - 19th as per invoice.
Her older son didnt want to stay so I went outside to and promised him everything under the sun and he came. Whilst outside she completed a temporary contract that I created and only when she left she completed days as Sunday, Monday, Tues, Wed, and thursday AM. our agreement was Wed AM and she never answers her mobile, please what am I to do?

sweets
16-08-2009, 11:57 AM
ooh you are in a pickle! ten nappies should only just do really she should have left you more though! tell her any more needed will go on her bill.
i wouldn't have done the job without full payment up front, but if you have agreed a deposit then thats what you have to go with. When she comes back, make her come in and sit down and go through the contract with you to confirm when she is picking these children up! if she refuses and says she is in a rush or something then i would tell her that i'm sorry but she has to take them NOW then, if she doesn't then you will be ringing emergency contact numbers. Stress to her that she MUST be contactable at all times.
good luck

Monkey1
16-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Has she been back yet? I would get her to change the contract and sign, you don't want to be left with them for longer. If you do end up having them longer, charge her DOUBLE by the hour. Hope you get it sorted!

FussyElmo
16-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Has she come back come back yet. If not tell her you need more nappies and her mobile must be turned on because of emergencies

You are having them for a really long time and its not a good sign she had added another day on what if you hadnt have noticed!!!

jessie1
16-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh this woman its honestly the last time that I care for her kids and its such a pity as I love caring for the little one.

Waited and waited and nothing so called her and for the first time every she answered her mobile. Saying "oh sorry for not ringing back but I decided to not leave the asthma pump cos I cant find it and if something happens rush him to hospital. " I dont even drive:angry: :angry:
How can people be so dont care about their kids?
I then asked her when she is picking the kids up and she said we agreed Thursday which I said no we didnt. I said I suggest that you turn around and come and pick them up. To which she replied I gave you the money I said agreement was £400 upfront for Sun to Wed AM. and you now paid £350. So i made her promise that she is getting them before lunch on Wednesday because I have something else arranged (not really but told her so) and the eve and Thursday morn.

I just hope she does thats all I can do cos I cant really do anything with the kids as its not their fault their mum is such a dont care

ZoeAlli
16-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Has mum been back with asthma pump yet?
If not, when she does I would ask her to make sure she is contactable at all times- this is very important as if her child has an asthma attack you need to be able to get in contact with her!!
Before the mum returns to collect the children, I would sit down and look through the contract you have drawn up with her- temporary or permanent a contract is still a contract and should be abided by, by both parties! If you are not happy with the way things are going you need to sit down with mum and talk about what needs changing!
I would say to her that as the agreement was wed AM and not Thurs, this extra time will be charged at double time as non-contracted hours. Also let her know that any extra costs such as nappies will be charged to her too!
I think before you mind them again this needs sorting and you need to ask for payment upfront.
Sorry that you are experiencing this, I hope you get it sorted quickly!! :(

sarah707
16-08-2009, 01:10 PM
If a child has diagnosed asthma then you must have his spacer, pump and inhalers.

If you do not have his equipment it is a child protection issue and you must take action to get hold of it all.

It is not acceptable for a parent to say you should call an ambulance - that is very bad practice and Ofsted will not like it.

I strongly suggest you contact the parent, explain the very dodgy position you are in regarding the equipment and say that if she does not provide it then she must come and collect her child immediately.

Give her a length of time then contact emergency contacts.

This might mean you have to refund for the days you were supposed to be caring for the children. Better that than have a child die in your care because you do not have the equipment to save his life.

Oh and if you don't have the spacer I do not think you will be insured either if the worst does happen to the child.

has she ever seen a child fighting for breath I wonder? My friend died from an untreated asthma attack :(

Monkey1
16-08-2009, 01:13 PM
If she is more than half an our late collecting them on Wednesday hunny, ring social services and tell them about it. She doesn't sound like she gives a s***. Write it all down in your incident book to cover yourself and you have a record of the conversation while it is fresh in your mind. To leave a child without a Asthma pump is total NEGLECT! Have you got a permission form to seek medical help in an emergency?

Monkey1
16-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Great advice from Sarah...as usual!

her8y
16-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Great advice from Sarah.

I have watched my DS struggle for breathe even after using his inhaler and spacer. He was taken into hospital and place on a nebuliser (SP?) and steroid tablets and all I could do was watch. Awful. I wouldnt wish anyone have to witness this. Day to day/ month to month he is fine but it only takes one thing to set off an attack.

I dont mean to scare you but I would be ringing parent to collect child if she doesnt bring the inhaler.

xxx

Monkey1
16-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Any developments???

FizzysFriends
16-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I can't believe mom would be so relaxed about it, what happens if the child has an attack?

jessie1
16-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi Guys

I just came to sit down for the first time and read all the replies, what am I todo now? As she just said she thought she had it and no idea where it is?
She has no family here but her daughter is staying with a friend and a lady that she knows. They were suppose to leave her number with me as agreed on the phone in the week as an emergency contact.
When they got here they didnt have it and I insisted on it and the daughter took my number saying that she will call me from the lady's house and give the number and haven't. So now no inhaler, no emergency contact no nothing?
I did this so wrong didnt I?

sweets
16-08-2009, 07:36 PM
hi don't sit and worry about it, whats done is done. just make sure that if LO is slightly wheezy then get him up to hosp and INSIST mum comes home.
When she does come back then you need to have a serious word with her about the neglect on her children. and seriously think about giving notice to her.

BlossomCC
16-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Is there an out of hours telephone number for the child's doctor, whereby you could arrange for a replacement, if not for tonight, then first thing tomorrow? Are you close enough to the child's surgery/local hospital to be able to pick it up.

I know it's dropping the mum right in it but the child has got to come first.

If you are able to contact her eventually, could she pick up a replacement?

Emma
:(

Ripeberry
16-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Sorry you're having such a rough time with this parent. So am I right in thinking that you are looking after two children, one with a possible health problem for 3 days and nights?
Where is the mum going? Is she on holiday or something? But make sure you get your money from her and if I was you I would treat this as a one-off arrangement.
If you get anymore of these type of enquiries it may be a good idea to get some NCMA short-term contracts (up to 28days).
Hope the children have settled well :)

Pipsqueak
16-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi Guys

I just came to sit down for the first time and read all the replies, what am I todo now? As she just said she thought she had it and no idea where it is?
She has no family here but her daughter is staying with a friend and a lady that she knows. They were suppose to leave her number with me as agreed on the phone in the week as an emergency contact.
When they got here they didnt have it and I insisted on it and the daughter took my number saying that she will call me from the lady's house and give the number and haven't. So now no inhaler, no emergency contact no nothing?
I did this so wrong didnt I?

you have already had some terrific advice already BUT don't beat yourself up over this.
I would recommend documenting the saga of this mum as an incident and getting her to sign it when she arrives pointing out that she left you potentially uninsured and with a safeguarding issue.

I would also give NCMA a call tomorrow and get their professional advice - and at least you have advised someone of the situation.

What a mother - I can't believe that she would not give a stuff about keeping her sons pump handy for the C/M. To me that is a serious incident and smacks of neglect.

Lou
16-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Im not being funny and i dont like to judge but what is this woman doing for 3 days and 3 nights??? I cant get my head round why she would leave her children with a childminder for that length of time?????

Mollymop
17-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Im not being funny and i dont like to judge but what is this woman doing for 3 days and 3 nights??? I cant get my head round why she would leave her children with a childminder for that length of time?????

I was thinking the same thing. Unless it is a course she must go on, but I love my kids that much I wouldn't go anywhere and leave my children with a childminder for that length of time.

I am quite shocked at this thread. I really hope she comes back on Wed am as agreed.

FizzysFriends
17-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Can you ring people that are on the child record form? Sure they must be able to contact her?