PDA

View Full Version : Accident Record Book question ..

Lainey Lou
16-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Hiya everyone, just wanted to as what your views are on 'when is an 'accident' an accident that should be recorded in the accident book?'

One of my mindees was accidentally hit on the forehead with a small torch, she didn't cry but got a red mark. I put on a cold compress to alleviate any bruising and by the time dad came to collect there was nothing there. I mentioned it to him and wrote it in the diary (just in case a bruise appeared), mum has signed the diary like she does everyday. I didn't record it in the accident book as I didn't feel it was a 'serious' enough accident as kids get bumps and knocks all the time, if you recorded everything you would fill your book up in a month!

As I am due an inspection and I have written it in the diary, if Ofsted read it, would they expect to see it recorded in the accident book? You thoughts would be appreciated, sorry to waffle!! :) XX

TheBTeam
16-08-2009, 10:25 AM
I personally if i felt the need to write it in the diary would write it in the accident book, If i felt it was minor enough to not need to be in the accident book then I would not write it anywhere else either.

I figure that if it needed writing down then it needs to go in the accident book, if it was so minor then I wouldn't record it anywhere in writing, that way OFSTED would be none the wiser, I think it is a poss that they could think that if you felt the parent needed to be aware then the accident book is the place for it to be recorded iyswim.

I have had very minor bumps that i have said in passing to the parents which i felt did not need recording as there was no mark, no crying and no interruption to what the child was doing (the almost like they didn't notice situations), I do not record these.

This is obviously just my take on it, so will be interested to see what other people think too.

Pipsqueak
16-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I would agree with what BTeam is saying tbh. I would also say a head bump - even seemingly minor ones should be recorded.

An accident should be recorded (in the book) if it has required treatment of any kind even it its just a cold compress.
I agree about if we recorded every bump and scrape we would have reams and reams and occasionally a 'cold paper towel' is enough to soothe an upset child - this I wouldn't record though!

childmind04
17-08-2009, 07:03 AM
bumps on head or anything that really upsets the child i record in the accident book, scraped knees etc i write it the diary, one of my mindees would go through a full book every week otherwise :D

I wish ncma would make a miner injury form just like the schools use when children hurt themselves, some kind of small tear off strip that does the copy for our records :)

rickysmiths
17-08-2009, 07:13 AM
bumps on head or anything that really upsets the child i record in the accident book, scraped knees etc i write it the diary, one of my mindees would go through a full book every week otherwise :D

I wish ncma would make a miner injury form just like the schools use when children hurt themselves, some kind of small tear off strip that does the copy for our records :)

Thats a very good idea and I will pass it on at my next Forum meeting, perhaps you could do the same?

personally I would record it in the accident book as i do every graze and scrap.
I was pulled up by Ofsted many years ago for not having enough accidents of this kind in relation to the age of children I had. I was so proud, as well, that I didn't have lots of accidents recorded!

FizzysFriends
17-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I only have 2 accidents in my book and Im a bit worried that Ofsted would expect more, but my lot aren't very accident prone and dont fall over/bump

Mollymop
17-08-2009, 07:25 AM
The only things I don't put in the accident book are skimmed knees when the little ones fall over. It happens so often that I would be filling in a report every day (or so it feels, bless em)

On friday one of my mindees was sitting on the swing and fell off backwards on to her back, did bump her head but bumped onto her back and she cried. No injuries or marks but to cover myself I fill in a report.

miffy
17-08-2009, 07:27 AM
I would record anything in my accident book that caused a mark or bruise, even if they had disappeared by the time mum/dad collects. You can't be too careful - I have known cases where a child had hurt themselves at home and parents had tried to say the injury had been caused at the childminders but her accident book showed the injury whilst in her care was in a different place and where, during an inspection, a mindee had mentioned an injury they'd had at the childminders and the inspector had insisted on seeing the records even though it had happened 4 years earlier.

Miffy xx