PDA

View Full Version : Reserving a place for 6-7 months??

OrlandoBelle
15-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Hi everyone

I have had an enquiry for an 8 month old baby with a start date of feb-march. The lady has just emailed me asking if I can reserve a place for her now.

Can anyone tell me what they would do in this situation? I will have a place for a baby from 27th September when one of my current mindees turns 1. However I could get another enquiry in the meantime.

My DH is currently registering and should be up and running by Feb/March, so he could take the baby on, providing Ofsted grant us more spaces.

What should I do???? Really need to fill spaces now so really want this one :panic:

Mollymop
16-08-2009, 12:27 AM
I myself would ask her to ring back nearer the time, it is hard to hold a place too early especially when you could fill it

peanuts
16-08-2009, 07:59 AM
if shes will int to pay a retainer from september, that is an option but you wouldnt be able to use the space.

Chimps Childminding
16-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I have also got one booked in for April 2010. Baby isn't due till November so have told her to come and see me after Christmas to sort things out then.

singlewiththree
16-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Hello, what I have done is said that I will reserve the place however if I get an enquiry for that space earlier then I will ring them and they will need to decide whether to keep the space or pay a retainer/deposit to keep the space theres. Its fair enough but they have to rely on you being honest.

mumof4
16-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I have done something similar, booked whilst still pregnant for 6 months in advance. It was abit of worry in case she changed her mind but all went well. Next time though I will ask for deposit so that im not worrying about anything going wrong:)

ZoeAlli
16-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Sorry I haven't had experience with this situation, however has been interesting to read!
TBH I think I would ask them to ring back nearer the time and see if the place is still available, unless she is willing to pay a retainer fee until then!

breezy
16-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Sorry I haven't had experience with this situation, however has been interesting to read!
TBH I think I would ask them to ring back nearer the time and see if the place is still available, unless she is willing to pay a retainer fee until then!

same here!

OrlandoBelle
17-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Excuse my thickness... but just to make sure... is a retainer half the fees of whatever the hours she'll need when she takes up the space? She doesn't know what hours she'll need yet which will make it difficult. Also, if it's only for a few hours a week I might only be getting a few quid a week from the retainer in which time a full timer might (fingers crossed) come along.

So confusing :panic:

Minstrel
17-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I have a similar situation where mum is still pregnant (due Sept) and wants care for next may.

I can't see her paying a retainer for all that time so we've agreed that she'll come back and see me sometime between sept and dec and paying a resonable deposit to hold the space which is non-refundable if she doesn't take it up, but i will refund off fees if she does.

hth

OrlandoBelle
17-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a similar situation where mum is still pregnant (due Sept) and wants care for next may.

I can't see her paying a retainer for all that time so we've agreed that she'll come back and see me sometime between sept and dec and paying a resonable deposit to hold the space which is non-refundable if she doesn't take it up, but i will refund off fees if she does.

hth

Thanks Minstrel. I think I will ask her to come back in December to pay a deposit. What would you all class as a reasonable amount to ask for?

Minstrel
17-08-2009, 11:31 AM
We have agreed on £160 which is 2 weeks fees. I'm not looking to fill this spot before she wants it anyway because i am a newbie and have another full timer starting before that and want to ease myself into the job.

OrlandoBelle
17-08-2009, 11:57 AM
OK, thats great. I have just thought of something else that might throw a spanner in the works. We are currently TTC. If I fall pregnant, she might not want to use me as I will be due a few months after the baby starts. However, DH will still be working and hopefully this one will be his first mindee when he's registered. Fingers crossed!

Minstrel
17-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a plan thats coming together!:clapping: