PDA

View Full Version : Childminding and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Ellies2009
14-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi,

I've had my pre-reg and am waiting for my CRB to come through. Whilst waiting I've been fostering dogs for an animal rescue. I've got my 4th dog in as many weeks and have fallen head over heels for her ... but she is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I am scared that this will put off potential parents. I also have my own dog who is a lurcher so would have 2 dogs at home.

I just wondered if I could get some sort of feedback from you guys as to whether you think parents would be put off by a childminder who had this particular breed.

Thanks,

El x

sweets
14-08-2009, 10:06 PM
i'm sorry but i'm afraid it would put me right off even if it was stressed that the dog and children didn't mix as slip ups can happen and gates can be left open. sorry but just being honest i know people say that staffies can make lovely pets they also have a reputation.

ORKSIE
14-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Well maybe i am ignorant.. But if I see a dog that looks like a Pit bull it is probably a staffy, thats because I dont know the difference. I have been told that you are not allowed to own a pitt bull in this country.. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
So if I am walking along the street and a dog comes towards me that looks like a pitt bull/ staffy:huh: I steer my Mindees well clear, because I am ignorant and cannot tell the difference.
I hope this post does not offend anyone, I just do not know the difference between the two, and i would rather be safe than sorry:)

Ellies2009
14-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Eugh - just found this http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5628&highlight=fence

5ft fence between mindees and dogs?????????????

ORKSIE
14-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Eugh - just found this http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5628&highlight=fence

5ft fence between mindees and dogs?????????????

OK so, so long as your mindees and the dog are not together then this should be ok, but dont take my advise, seek proffesional advise on this, I would hate to see tears anywhere on this. Hope you get this sorted Proffessionally. For your sake, Mindees and the dog's sake, because at the end of the day its not the dogs fault he is of this breed! Like I have said I am totally ignorant and I am putting myself in the place of a parent, BUT you may get a parent who is Knowlegeable of this breed:D Hope i havnt offended you!

Ellies2009
14-08-2009, 10:47 PM
No - not offended at all and thank you very much for your replies.

I have grown up training and showing dogs in both obedience and ringcraft and am confident in my training abilities (could include training certificates in risk assessment?) and will have a comprehensive pet policy anyway because of my resident lurcher. My lurcher sleeps all day so will spend most of the day in a room blocked off with a stair gate upstairs and if he wants to come down he will be in kitchen/garden - i.e. wherever I'm not with mindees

ORKSIE
14-08-2009, 10:59 PM
No - not offended at all and thank you very much for your replies.

I have grown up training and showing dogs in both obedience and ringcraft and am confident in my training abilities (could include training certificates in risk assessment?) and will have a comprehensive pet policy anyway because of my resident lurcher. My lurcher sleeps all day so will spend most of the day in a room blocked off with a stair gate upstairs and if he wants to come down he will be in kitchen/garden - i.e. wherever I'm not with mindees

If this can be proven to an inspector "on the day" Then this should be fine, If you have R /A's in place and pet policies in place too hopefully this will be ok to.
I wish i could help you more, but I am not Knowledgable enough, hopefully someone who is will give you more advise.... Good Luck:thumbsup:

Mollymop
14-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I am a big dog lover but.... I wouldn't pick a minder with a staff. sorry if it sounds ignorant and i do have a dog myself ( a lhasa apso)

But there has been too much in the press about these kinds of dogs and I wouldn't trust one near my kids, even I am scared of them

My s.i.l has 5 of them, and I'm scared of them all and won't let my kids go round there becasue of them.
One or two of them have taken chunks out of my sil in the past because they play rough with them and I know that not all staffs are like this, but I can't help feeling intimidated by them

On facebook I have been asked to join a group named "sign up to keep Staffs off the dangerous dogs act list" I have never signed up to this, because even though all dogs canbe dangerous in my mind they seem one of the most dangerous

Sorry xxxx

Ellies2009
15-08-2009, 07:03 AM
I totally understand where you're coming from, as both my parents feel the same way, but I just find it so sad for this breed as they were affectionally known as "Nanny Dogs" (and if you google that it comes up with info about Staffs) because they were so good with children.

So I think the conclusion is that it would affect my business if I kept her :o

FizzysFriends
15-08-2009, 07:13 AM
I went to see a CM the other day and she had a Staffy and we where talking about where the dogs sleep (Im having my garage converted to a room for my springer as even though shes in another room at the moment she isn't getting any sleep they children are always calling her, throwing things in for her to play with and she looks so tired,LOL). She lets hers in the room with the mindees and her parents aren't put off by this she is almost full so it is possible.

sweets
15-08-2009, 07:13 AM
i'm sorry but i think it will. i feel sorry for you as its a horrible decision to have to make.

miffy
15-08-2009, 07:16 AM
I've always had a thing about Staffies since one attacked my labrador pup years ago but a friend has one now and she is the sweetest, gentlest and very intelligent animal but I still think you might run the risk of putting some parents off if you adopt this dog.

Miffy xx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
15-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I have had a bad experience with staffs, as i posted on this forum once, 2 got into my garden killed my cat and attacked me, luckily mindees were strapped into their high chairs in the kitchen.

I know not all staffs are like this but people are definatly wary of them because of thier reputation. So i think this would put parents off. I personally wouldnt put my children with a minder with dogs.

Like any animal if provocated enough they can lash out and i couldnt take that risk.

You say the staff is a rescue dog, do you know about its history, if it was abused or not etc? As im sure you know more than me but can that effect their temperment and make then do things that would usually be out of character?

FussyElmo
15-08-2009, 07:25 AM
When we were choosing our dog we went for a breed that wouldnt put potential parents off. My dh wanted a rottweiller :eek: but I refused because of their reputation. We ended up with a labrador cross.

I know plenty of people who have staffie bull terriers and they all say they are the best dogs to have around children.

They are no bad dogs just bad owners in my opinion and any dog can turn on a child.

Would I be put of from using a cm with a staffie I would like to say no it wouldn't but something tells me I would be as I would for the same reasons I wouldnt let dh get a rotty.

amirose
15-08-2009, 09:02 AM
I am scared of Staffordshire Bull Terrier's.
There are just too many of them owned by young hoodlams who think its cool to have a big mean dog which has taken a dog that can be very loyal and loving and given it a very nasty reputation. Of course we also have to bare in mind what they were bred for.
I have known a couple of friends with staff's and the dogs have been, as I say, loving and sweet but it only takes one snap and its going to be serious - because of the size of their heads and teeth, they also have lock jaw.
I worry about my own dogs being around mindees and I have two whippets! But even then I think the mindee has only got to pull them the wrong way and the dog could give them a warning = not good. Hence the dogs are usually separated and on rare occasions they are allowed in they are 100% supervised. The kids also know to never ever run when we walk the dogs as one of mine is walked off lead.
I also would be put off more by the fact its not just a Staffordshire Bull Terrier but a rescue Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
The fact is though some parents are just put off by the fact you have a dog in the first place - regardless of breed!!!

MrsT333
15-08-2009, 09:22 AM
I have a 10 year old staffie, I have been minding for 2 years and it has never put anyone off, he is the most docile and loving dog i have ever had, i also have 3 kiddies of my own, i trust him 100%. all my parents have fallen for him! Although no child is ever left unsupervised with him.

However, i think is the owners who hjave given this breed a bad rep, its a shame......we wouldnt have another staffie as they have such a bad image.

Would it put parents off? I think if i was to choose a cm for my own kids, I wouldnt choose a cm with any dog that I got a bad vibe from, and i would assess the owner and the dog and the relationship they have.

tashaleee
15-08-2009, 12:43 PM
From a parent point of view I dont know if I would want my child anywhere that there is a dog (which will probably not make me popular sorry....). I have had dogs in the past and I had to let my border collie go when I started childminding as I couldnt trust her - lovely dog but if the kids squealed with excitement she wanted to join in and DD had countless holes in her clothes. The dog would never deliberately have harmed anyone, but I couldnt take the risk and as much as I could have kept her shut away I didnt think it was fair as I didnt get her to shut her away and childminding can be long hours.

As for staffies - my DH had several over the years and loves them. His opinion is yes he would trust them totally - but he doesnt think parents will. Personally I can see exactly where he is coming from - if a parent doesnt have the knowledge then the will make an automatic judgement and it could easily cost you the job.

Then again, I know of a ex-childminder friend who has a dog I wouldnt trust (has nipped me a few times as well as her and all her family) yet the parents had no idea and thought it was fine right up until she stopped minding - luckily I dont think it ever bit any of the minded kids.

I also know of several parents who wanted a childminder without a dog - including one who actually had a dog themselves.....

Sorry no easy answer but good luck with whatever decision you make :thumbsup:

Spangles
15-08-2009, 01:08 PM
It would put me right off too I'm afraid. I know they are supposed to be child friendly dogs but I've heard of ones that have attacked children so wouldn't be happy for my child to be around one.

Plus, on another point, I'm allergic to a few breeds and this is one of them so I wouldn't be able to go into the house but obviously that's just me!

Isn't it sad because I'm sure most of them are just lovely and adorable.

tinkerbelle
15-08-2009, 03:45 PM
sorry there is no way on earth i would leave my kids with someone who owned a staffy or equivelent my mum has one and so does my sister and i wont let my kids stay there unless the dog stays outside and those 2 dogs have been around my kids since they were puppy's
the strength of the jaws of these dogs is unbelievable sorry just being honest
i do own a dog but he's a shih-tzu and he is never left alone with mindees even though he's extremely soft and allows my nephew to lay on him to sleep

Hebs
15-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I've been fostering dogs for an animal rescue. I've got my 4th dog in as many weeks and have fallen head over heels for her ... but she is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I am scared that this will put off potential parents. I also have my own dog who is a lurcher so would have 2 dogs at home.

El x

Hi,
Now before i write this i want to say I AM AN ANIMAL LOVER :thumbsup:

Staffs do make wonderful pets, and are actually noted to be one of THE best family pets

HOWEVER

this is a stray Staff, you have no real idea of it's temprement or how it has been brought up or treated in the past, and this makes me VERY wary

i know ALL dogs can turn on you BUT staffs are very powerful (cos thats the way they are ment to be) and when one does attack the damage can be fatal.

IF you had this dog from a puppy (aka 8 weeks old) and it was trained properly then maybe i'd be ok with it being around mindees BUT as it's a stray then NO sorry i wouldn't trust it cos you never know what willpush it over the edge

sorry :(

Ellies2009
15-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi,

Thank you so much for all your advice and opinions - exactly what I needed. I do know her full background and she has been well brought up and looked after and lived with a family who had children, other dogs and cats since she was a pup. However, they have had to move to a property that wouldn't allow dogs and so she was handed to the rescue to find a new home as they never put a healthy animal down.

Anyway, much as it breaks my heart (new this fostering thing wasn't going to be easy) I have decided that I will wait until she finds her new forever home and not adopt her myself.

Thanks again,

Ellie

Hebs
15-08-2009, 05:05 PM
i know it's hard hun but her forever home is out there waiting x x

jellytot
15-08-2009, 05:06 PM
I feel I need to come on here and defend the poor staffie dogs that have been trained and brought up properly. They really can make fantastic family pets as can any breed, just as much they can turn just as ANY breed can. ANY breed can be pushed too far, NO breed of dog should be given 100% trust with children.

If a parent is put off by you having a dog then they are not the right parent for your setting.

ORKSIE
15-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I feel so sorry for you and rather sad too.
But I think the new home idea may be the right one.
What a decision to have to make.

miffy
15-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi,

Anyway, much as it breaks my heart (new this fostering thing wasn't going to be easy) I have decided that I will wait until she finds her new forever home and not adopt her myself.

Thanks again,

Ellie

That must have been a very hard decision to make.

Hope she finds a loving home soon

Miffy xx

Spangles
15-08-2009, 06:56 PM
This decision must have broken your heart.

I feel so bad for you that you've had to let her go to find a new permanent family.

I hope you find another dog that you love just as much.

xxxxx

Mollymop
15-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I didn't realise you had fostered her, oh bless. I thought you were adopting her and knew not too much about her, ifyswim

You could still adopt her, have a run for ther in the garden that is enclosed so that she is away from the children - say you finish work at 5-6pm - she could come in then and be part of the family, when everyone has gone home.

I posted and said it would put me as a parent off, but.... if she wasn't allowed contact (harsh i know bless her, I bet she is lovely so i am sorry) iwth the children I would be ok with it.

Is there anyway you could do this? Pen her off/keep her outside in minding hours?

I didn't check to see if you were "pre-reg" or minding, but you may find that while working, if youhave parttime children there will be days in the working week where you have time spare (I have tuesdays off as I am not required on this day and somedays I finish earlier than other days) so she won't have to be outside from 8 til 6 - ifyswim.

Hope that helps.
x

mushpea
15-08-2009, 07:42 PM
every staff we have come accross has been loving and caring, i have never owned one but i have never been scared of them because i have never had a problem with them.
we have a labrador and i have only ever had one parent say no to commin because of him as she owns a dog and her child was rough with her dog and was worried about he would be with my dog!!:rolleyes:
the children do mix with the dog all the time (not unsupervised), they stoke and groom him and take him for walks sometimes but we dont play with him because if they played with him he would see them as exciting and playful and be too excited with them as it is your lucky if he gets out of his bed to great you cause hes that lazy:laughing:
keeping dogs shut away or seperate to children does neither the child or dog any good, each time the child comes the dog is shut away how is that fair on the dog and what does the dog then think about children? also what do the children learn about dogs? they are to be shut away in a cage such as a bunny and left alone, hence potencial dog owners (when the child grows up) who have no idea of how to care for a dog.

nannymcflea
15-08-2009, 08:46 PM
My dogs have very little contact with my mindees.I have a 12 year old JR terrier and a 9 year old Fox terrier. When we did painting/craft in the conservatory they would wander around when the kids were at the table but they are not allowed physical contact with the fox and the JR is too old to be bothered.

I don't think either would do anything but the Fox is a rescue, he was ill treated before us and is a breed that can be very snappy and aggressive (usually towards other dogs), he hasn't been but I wouldn't risk it. They can see us during the day so are not alone and come into the lounge/diner when kids have gone.

I like staffies, though they are again terriers, they are easy to fall in love with as they are so soppy looking, shame they have a bad reputation that most owners don't deserve.

Leannetrim
16-08-2009, 09:06 PM
I have a staffie and when i will be minding he will be in his crate in the shed, so he won't even be in the house. Ofsted are fine with this arrangement

andreaschildcare
17-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Hiya

I think people either love dogs or they dont! So depends on the family.

Personally if I had the choice between placing my children with a CM without dogs or one with - id go for the one without! Sorry :o

AliceK
17-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Hi
I have always had dogs, my current dog is 13yrs old and a labrador X lurcher. I've had him since he was 11 weeks old and he has grown up around children however when I used a CM for my DS when he was a toddler and she had a dog, a boxer pup, I must admit it did worry me slightly. I'm afraid to say that there is no way I would leave my kids with a staffy. Personally I think that a lot of parents might have 2nd thoughts about using a CM with any type of dog but a staffy might just put them off completely. Sorry :blush:

xxxxx

kingdom
17-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi, I have been a childminder for a year now and have two dobermann dogs. The children do not have any contact with them at all, Ofsted were happy with the way the situation is handled. The dogs have a seperate part of the garden to the children and as one is incontinent only have access to a front porch via a dog flap. It has worked really well for me and I do not know of any parent who has been put off by me having this type of dog.

Curly Quavers
17-08-2009, 02:52 PM
well I am sorry to say if I were looking for a childminder I wouldn't put my kids where they would be anywhere near it.

I am a doggy person don't get me wrong I have 2 spaniels in my house but absolute no to that bread I'm afraid.

I think as far as running your business you are going to have to put in place VERY detailed policies on dog contact and access in the hope that is may put parents like me minds a rest.

Not sure this has helped but good luck
x

~Chelle~
17-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi,
Now before i write this i want to say I AM AN ANIMAL LOVER :thumbsup:

Staffs do make wonderful pets, and are actually noted to be one of THE best family pets

HOWEVER

this is a stray Staff, you have no real idea of it's temprement or how it has been brought up or treated in the past, and this makes me VERY wary

i know ALL dogs can turn on you BUT staffs are very powerful (cos thats the way they are ment to be) and when one does attack the damage can be fatal.

IF you had this dog from a puppy (aka 8 weeks old) and it was trained properly then maybe i'd be ok with it being around mindees BUT as it's a stray then NO sorry i wouldn't trust it cos you never know what willpush it over the edge

sorry :(

This is so true, the dog may have had a bad experience with children too, you never can tell unless you have raised them.

I have told my children that they are not allowed a dog until I give up minding because I know that it does put parents off. Was even casually talking about it with one of the parents and she said that if we got a dog she would move her son to another minder.

NO dog can be trusted, no matter what anyone says, they could have been a family pet for years but they can still turn.

Staffs, imo, are not trustworthy dogs, my neighbour has one and she nips at you when she is excited, left me with a nasty bruise on my arm but all they said was that she was playing!!

I know my aunt had to have her staff put to sleep because it went for a child who started playing with its toy, just started growling and bearing its teeth then grabbed the child by the arm, just missing her face! She had had the dog for a few years too, from a puppy.

I am sorry but if these are rescue dogs, I wouldnt trust any of them with children as you dont know their history.

Sorry, just my opinion x

~Chelle~
17-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I have a staffie and when i will be minding he will be in his crate in the shed, so he won't even be in the house. Ofsted are fine with this arrangement

What if you have a child from 8am-6pm, will the dog be in the shed all day??

Dont mean to offend but it wont be very fair on the dog really.

barbarella68
17-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I personally would not have any dog near children. When I was younger I was waiting at my friends house waiting to pick her up for work, when her dog who was sat curled up on the sofa with her 8 year old daughter just suddenly went for the little girl around her throat we spent what seemed ages to get it off her.The girl was ok but still has a scare and the doctor said that the girl was very lucky.The vet said that the dog just had a brain storm.
I was baby sitting one time and the child was sat on my lap and when I got up to get the child a drink the dog bit me in the stomach for no reason.
Dogs and children do not mix.
I think and (this is my opinion) that dogs should be banned from any house where children live,I know they aren't all going to attack but I wouldn't take the risk.
I am sorry if this offends but it is just my opinion.I would not leave my son anywhere there is a dog ,I don't even leave him at my brothers on his own,he has a terrier.

russell
17-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi I have been childminding for nearly 25 yrs and always had dogs. At the moment I childmind with 2 staffordshire bull terriers, the kids absolutely adore them and they like a fuss of the kids as well. I do not leave them on their own with the kids but would not do that with any dog .I mentioned to the parents at the time that we wanted to get a staffy and asked their opinion,no problems with any, as lmg as not on their own with the kids. MY dogs are quite lively as they are only1and ahalf and two but lovely animals .They dont bother when the mindees wander to the loo etclike a little fuss on the way,but would recommend to anyone Jean(DRAGON)

Louise_Oaktree
18-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I have 2 cocker spaniels who have a separate part of the house and their own part of garden which they have access to all day.

They never mix with the children unless I only have older children (after school) and we may go for walks together and throw a ball for them in the field.

I have only ever had 1 parent not happy with this but her child was a very small baby and it was the hair she was worried about.

I currently am full and have never had a vacancy for more than 2 weeks (thank goodness) which is more than I can say for other CM's in my area.

However, I would never choose a Staffy as a pet around children, I know all dogs are potential biters but at the end of the day some have strong instincts which are for guarding or fighting and I think it's irresponsible to put children at unnecessary risk.

I do think there are LOTS of positives for owning dogs, they give children friendship and responsibility but my dogs are here for my family not for minded children (we have a rabbit with no teeth for them lol).

Louise_Oaktree
18-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Whilst I understand your role as a responsible parent I think your "views" are quite extreme. I would personally worry about how my children would cope around dogs in society if they were to share your views.

It also saddens me that there are some people who have not shared the affection and loyalty that a canine companion can bring.

I personally would not have any dog near children. When I was younger I was waiting at my friends house waiting to pick her up for work, when her dog who was sat curled up on the sofa with her 8 year old daughter just suddenly went for the little girl around her throat we spent what seemed ages to get it off her.The girl was ok but still has a scare and the doctor said that the girl was very lucky.The vet said that the dog just had a brain storm.
I was baby sitting one time and the child was sat on my lap and when I got up to get the child a drink the dog bit me in the stomach for no reason.
I think and (this is my opinion) that dogs should be banned from any house where children live,I know they aren't all going to attack but I wouldn't take the risk.
I am sorry if this offends but it is just my opinion.I would not leave my son anywhere there is a dog ,I don't even leave him at my brothers on his own,he has a terrier.

nannymcflea
18-08-2009, 01:12 PM

Hi, I'm not offended but do think it's a shame you feel this, there would be a lot of dead/abandoned loving dogs to be got rid of if we couldn't mix kids with dogs. You could say the same for cats, I don't like my kids to touch them as they are more likely to get a nasty scratch from one than a bite from my dogs but I DO let my kids stroke cats as I know it's good for them to learn to be gentle. I have been kicked by a horse and trodden on too but I would still let my kids ride one if they liked.

YES you do have to be sensible, cautious even and i don't let my minded kids near mine as they are dogs but to say I should get rid or put them to sleep makes me sad. :(

russell
18-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I do not think it is irresponsible if they are only in contact with them when going to loo etc or walking them .If we are irresponsible for childminding with them what does that say for the parents who leave their children with staffies. They do say that a lot more accidents from attacks and bites are more likly from badly oned animals as well as other breeds and little dogs can be more snappy than a lot of bigger dogs. DRAGON

naomiesian
26-08-2009, 09:11 AM
[QUOTE=Ellies2009;500985]Hi,

I've had my pre-reg and am waiting for my CRB to come through. Whilst waiting I've been fostering dogs for an animal rescue. I've got my 4th dog in as many weeks and have fallen head over heels for her ... but she is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and I am scared that this will put off potential parents. I also have my own dog who is a lurcher so would have 2 dogs at home.
I just wondered if I could get some sort of feedback from you guys as to whether you think parents would be put off by a childminder who had this particular breed.
Thanks,

I have a staffy and I am awaiting pre-reg visit from ofsted, worried sick they will judge her on her breed and not her temperament, my dog is 7 and has been with me since she was a pup, bought up around my own children, families children and friends, she is not and never has been anything other than a family pet, have many parents who have reserved a place for their child with me and my dog has not been an issue as they either already know her or have met her and have seen how good she is, I`ve only had 1 parent who had a fear of dogs themselves who refused me because of my dog and I just wished them all the best in their search for childcare, I know only too well these dogs are judged by the bad press they receive but personally I would never keep another breed as I think staffs are very much people dogs and love nothing more than being part of a family, my dog is my baby,that said she is a dog and knows her place, I do think that it all depends on how the dog has been bought up though and I myself would be extremely cautious about bringing an older fostered/adopted dog (any breed) into a setting with children as you never know.

Wishing you all the best in your decision xx

balloon
26-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Sorry I haven't read all the replies so this may well have been already said...

Is a staffy on the dangerous dogs list?

If it is Ofsted will not allow it anyway so it will not matter what parents think...

I am about to get a pup and rang to ask advice and was told it's fine to get a dog so long as it isn't on the dangerous dogs list.

No idea if Staffys are or not personally, and certainly not saying that Staffys are any more dangerous than any other dog...
.................................................. .................................................. .....
EDITED TO ADD _ have just read through the posts and seen that a few other CMs have staffys so obviously not a problem with Ofsted

Also read you have made your decision, must have been very hard for you ((hugs)) but for what it's worth I think you did the right thing for both you and the dog. xx

LOOPYLISA
26-08-2009, 05:49 PM
My friends dd has just been operated on after being bitten by a staff, on both her hands :(

My dad also has one, yes he is the daftest dog ever BUT a dog can turn(any dog), but once a staff gets hold of something he will not let it go, their jaws almost lock.

I would also not place my dd with a cm with a dog, just my personal opinion :thumbsup:

Ellies2009
01-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Well ... I have failed miserably and after a lot of thought have decided that can't bear to part with her. I have however arranged for her to be with friends while I'm minding so she won't come in to contact with mindees.

As previously said, I know her full history she has been brought up around children, dogs and cats and has been assessed by a dog psychiatrist and has been declared sound. I am a competent and experienced dog handler and will be working closely with her in my spare time to ensure she keeps up her training. I would never leave my own children with a dog let alone a mindee.

Do I need to inform Ofsted of a change in circumstances?

Thanks,

Ellie

leesbusybees
05-03-2010, 11:10 AM
recent study carried out on 6,000 dogs and their owners found out 33 of the most aggressive dogs, and also those which have good temperaments. The study involved collecting data from two different groups. The first group consisted of 11 different breeds and the second was an online survey mainly involving owners, including 33 breeds. The conclusions from both groups were similar. It looked at the different types of aggression such as towards other dogs, towards strangers and towards owners. Some of the results were surprising, below are the top ten most aggressive breed:

1.Dachshunds
2.Chihuahua
3.Jack Russell
4.Australian Cattle Dog
5.Cocker Spaniel
6.Beagle
7.Border Collie
8.Pit Bull Terrier
9.Great Dane
10.English Springer Spaniel

Sorry but where on here does it mention STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIERS ? Ignorance is apparantly bliss !

http://www.dogbiteclaims.co.uk/compensation/dangerous-breeds.html

Carol M
06-03-2010, 08:35 PM
I am sorry to say but I don't think dogs and childminding sit well together.
I love all animals and agree that children can learn an enormous amount from being around them but I would personally feel uncomfortable with having a pet family dog whilst minding.
This is just my personal opinion, dh owned a lovely doberman and would dearly love another but I would not take the risk.
I am glad you have managed to keep your lovely dog by making suitable arrangements.
Carol:)

Dare4Distance
06-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Wow, this whole thread makes me sad :(

Staffies are the most loving dogs. Yes there are some that are dangerous but the same can be said of ALL breeds, in fact, the same can be said for EVERY living thing on earth. Including humans.

More people egt attacked by small dogs than they do from big ones, they just cause less damage so it doesn't get reported as much.

I have a chihuahua, she's perfectly well behaved around children, was brought up around my nephew from birth. I wouldn't leave her with any children on her own though. Because she is a dog.

My cousin has Rotties, they have been brought up around their children and they are GREAT with them. My friend also has 2 of them and her kids climb all over them. Neither would leave them with their children alone. Because they are dogs.

A very good friend of mine has just had a baby. She has a chihuahua, Staffie and a German Shepherd. The Staffie was a rescue dog. She rescued him 10 years ago. He was almost starved to death when she got him. He probably suffered a lot of neglect. He is the nicest most perfect example of the breed. You could never meet a nicer dog. Seriously.

I would rather leave my children with someone with a dog than someone without one. They add so much to the home.

It's not the dog that's bad, no dog is born bad. They just happen to get bad owners.

Mollymop
06-03-2010, 11:19 PM
It's not the dog that's bad, no dog is born bad. They just happen to get bad owners.

Yes that is very true, but a dog ( I am a dog lover) that has been created for the purpose, all those years ago, to tear bears apart and to fight pitbulls ( a dog illegal in this country for their violent/fierce nature) is allowed aroud children after all that has been in the media, you have to wonder why people/parents would be kind of put off by these types of dogs

I love dogs, like i said , my sil has 5 SBT's and I would never let her look after my kids.

Sorry, fair enough if they were kept away all the time in the garden etc, but I would not want ONE not even ONE of them around me not even my children

I do feel kind of small minded and petty for writing this on here, but that is my opinion on these types of dog. Lovely that they might be...but I'm afraid of them...

sonia ann
07-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I currently care for a little girl who came to me after being bitten on the face by her previous childminders border collie.....she has scars and was lucky not to have lost her eye. The legal case is still ongoing 8mths later. This was a trusted family dog.:(

caz3007
07-03-2010, 08:49 AM
I have know some staffies with a really nice nature but would still think twice, especially as this a rescue dog. I know that my hubby would definately say no about our own child being looked after where a staffie was present

Hope you manage to work something out

Ripeberry
07-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Staffies may look cute and be really good family dogs. But their mouths are far too big for their bodies. One bite from a Staffie is much worse than a smaller dog, who may nip more.
My mum used to 'invite' the neighbour's staffie over to play with our Jack russell terrier and to see them 'play' was quite scary in itself :eek:
Sadly, Staffies also have a darker side to them and they are used by ignorant people as 'status' dogs and that image stick in my mind more than a Staffie being a familly dog.
Dogs homes are full of Staffies, but not many people want to rehome them now :(

Minstrel
07-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I agree that its not really the temperament of a dog that you need to be wary of as all dogs can turn. However the strength of a dog and its bite could be the difference between nipping a child and killing them.

I would never have a dog whilst mine are small or place my child with a CM who had one. Sorry just my personally preference.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
07-03-2010, 04:42 PM
I agree that its not really the temperament of a dog that you need to be wary of as all dogs can turn. However the strength of a dog and its bite could be the difference between nipping a child and killing them.

I would never have a dog whilst mine are small or place my child with a CM who had one. Sorry just my personally preference.

Couldnt agree more, I just couldnt take the risk, what if the dog is having an off day or the child accidently steps on its foot, pulls it tail and the dog snaps at it, the results could be unthinkable!

jumpinjen
07-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I have to comment on this, I think staffies make lovely pets if they are properly trained, exercised and handled, as you are obviously capable of doing!! And yes I wold make it clear to parents about your qualifications with dog training to put them at ease.... you of all people know how unpredictable they can be.

ANY DOG, can be dangerous... a grumpy yorkshire terrier can scar a child's face for life, but it is sensible advice that you don't know the history of the dog and it's experience with children. Staffies don't sleep all day like lurchers do!!!

perhaps rather than looking at it purely from a minding point of view, you could approach it from a dog owning viewpoint and ask yourself if you will have the available time to exercise, train and entertain this dog that will be energietic and want to play?

is there an area in your garden that you can fence off for the dog?

I have involved the midees in training my dog to do tricks.... they love this, and throwing toys for her, all supervised obviously!!

there will be people that you put off by having dogs, but also others that like it as it satisfies the child's desire to have a dog that mum and dad don't really want !!!!

You sound as if you want to be convinced out of falling for this dog and keeping her???? if you mind and continue to foster dogs, you will need very robust policies and separate areas in place anyway as they will allbe unpredicatble!!!!

Think about it some more, and see what you can come up with!!!!

jen x

Bushpig
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
My mum looked after kids for over 20 years.. and had other dogs and a much beloved staffy... no prob at all. Just the usual safety measures with the kids not having access to the dogs etc.

I come from South Africa and the staffy there is a dog much loved. It is such a shame that here in the UK it has such a stinky reputation because a certain type of person likes to use them as a status symbol. :mad: :angry:

This negative reputation only adds fuel to the fire and is so unfair to this breed. As mentioned there are other breeds that are a lot more aggressive and nippy!!!

ALL dogs need training, love and care. I wouldn't NOT send my child to a CM with a dog.. it would depend on how he/she looked after the dog in relation to the kids that would concern me much more.

cas2805
07-03-2010, 07:13 PM
As an owner of a very well trained rottweiler, yes they do put potential parents off! Though most of the time, they come up with different excuses. I am more impressed when they do say it is because of my dog and wished they all would be so honest!

I have been childminding since 2003 and some parents love the thought of their children being with a dog family, usually when they can't have pets themselves. My dog stays the other side of child gates and is not left with children, neither my son or mindees.

It is a shame that certain breeds have bad reputations, but understand their concerns and wish that the stupid owners would train their dogs and not leave children alone with them!

Sorry for the rant!

mushpea
07-03-2010, 07:37 PM
A dog is what you make it and how you treat it for example,
i had a 6yrold come to me who was frightend of dogs, his aunt has a very loving but loopy and bouncy labrador which had in the past knocked him down and jumps up him,
have a labrador but when children are around he is the most dopeist dog around and your lucky if he gets out of his bed to meet and greet.
I belive its because we have never encouraged the children to play with the dog or to give him treats therefore the dog dosent see the children as fun and excitable but boring so leaves them alone,
the child was encouraged to treat the aunts dog and play with it in an attempt to get him to like the dog but all it does is make the dog see the child as its playmate and gets excited everytime the child visits. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with the dog or behaviour just that the two dogs are treated differently.
we do walk the dog with the kids somtimes and they are allowed to stroke him but most of the time they ignore each other.
if a dog is constantly pulled about and teased by kids then it will attack in what it sees as self defence.
I belive its good for kids to be around all types of animals in the hope it will teach them to respect and care for animals.

nokidshere
07-03-2010, 09:54 PM
I think that you should do what you want as a family really. I would never use a childminder who had a dog because I am terrified of them - all dogs (and don't go much on animals full stop). If you are prepared for the parents who won't use you because of their fears then I don;t see what the problem is.

Only people who feel comfortable with their children around dogs will use your setting so it might restrict you a little, but i doon't think thats any reason not to have a dog you want.

jelly15
08-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I was bitten quite badly by a Dalmation :eek: . You can't trust any animal 100%, a cat can scar a child for life and Jack Russells have killed small babies in the past, but bull terriers do have a reputaion as with Rottweillers etc. So I presonally would not use a CM with one of these dogs.

Sharon-H-E
08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
It makes me sad:( that some people have so little education about certain dogs, Staffordshire bull terriers were bread in the midlands especially for families, ie bulit up areas that are heavily populated, they are loving friendly dogs and are excellent with children and do not have any characteristics of the pitbull terrier, it is a shame they get confused with the pitbull because other than the name and the fact they look similar that is where the similarity ends. I had a Staffy and she was the best dog ive ever known:) she loved everyone and everything, in fact my cat was tougher than her, however because of peoples misconceptions i have had trouble getting mindees, since then she has passed:littleangel: and i have had loads of enquires but people only seem to be interested as long as im not intending to get another dog:(
I have to admit its only because i have had a Staffy that i know about them though.
I wish you the best of luck, keep us posted on what you decide
Sharon xxx

Sharon-H-E
08-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Oh and ps, Staffys are not on the top ten dangerous dog list, however, Dalmations and jack russels are:(

Dare4Distance
08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
This is how the Staffordshire Bull Terrier's temperament is.

Although individual differences in personality exist, common traits exist throughout the Staffords. Due to its breeding, the modern dog is known for its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity. This, coupled with its affection for its friends (and children in particular), its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog. It has been said that "No breed is more loving with its family" Because of their affinity for children, Staffordshire Bull Terriers are sometimes known as “Nanny Dogs” in England.

The breed is naturally muscular and may appear intimidating; however, because of their natural fondness for people, most Staffords are temperamentally ill-suited for guard or attack-dog training.

mumx3
08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I like dogs but I would not in a million years leave my kids with a minder with this type of dog, or possibly any dog unless they were kennel at all times when the children were present.

I am happy to be seen as whatever people want to see me as because of my views.

It is not worth taking the risk...which could be a dead or mauled child in a split second....however well behaved the dog has been their entire life.

I would be even less inclined to leave my child if their were more than one dog....pack instinct and all that.

Not worth the risk.

Good luck though whatever you decide.

Minstrel
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
It makes me sad:( that some people have so little education about certain dogs, Staffordshire bull terriers were bread in the midlands especially for families, ie bulit up areas that are heavily populated, they are loving friendly dogs and are excellent with children and do not have any characteristics of the pitbull terrier, it is a shame they get confused with the pitbull because other than the name and the fact they look similar that is where the similarity ends. I had a Staffy and she was the best dog ive ever known:) she loved everyone and everything, in fact my cat was tougher than her, however because of peoples misconceptions i have had trouble getting mindees, since then she has passed:littleangel: and i have had loads of enquires but people only seem to be interested as long as im not intending to get another dog:(
I have to admit its only because i have had a Staffy that i know about them though.
I wish you the best of luck, keep us posted on what you decide
Sharon xxx

I think that it's a bit of a sweeping statement saying that just because some of us would not leave our child with a CM with a dog that it must be because we are not educated about it. The thing is, YOU might know your dog and trust it but a parent will not and for them not to want to take the risk with your staffy does not mean they are uneducated about your breed of dog.

amirose
08-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree these dogs can be great with kids/people, but my two dogs (whippets) were attacked by two of these blasted dogs just before Christmas and I have seen the damage that they can do :panic: £250 vet bills and countless staples they were lucky to be alive
It nearly happened again 2 weeks later, different staff
And 3 weeks ago my friends greyhound was nearly killed, another different staff
I can only walk my dogs early in the mornings, I do not understand why so many of these staffs are so dog aggressive? There are so many of them too :(

Bushpig
08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I have been viciously attacked by cocker spaniels and dobermans... and I would in no way malign their entire breed due to this... they weren't trained and goodness what else they've been through in their life. They were not supervised at this time either.

A dog is a dog as a child is a child... both needing a correct and proper upbringing. Abuse leads to rage and anger... taken out on others.

At my mums nursery school (75 kids) she had a big swimming pool... this put some people off (in CASE anything happened... which didn't in all those years)... but for most this was a plus... as she had swimming lessons with a swimming teacher coming in.

So ..... each to their own.

Some love CMs with dogs, some don't. There is no right or wrong per say... just what is right or wrong for you and your family.. due to your own perspective and personal experience.

Staffies are wonderful pets... I had one for 15 years and he was a delight... was terrified during thunderstorms and used to hide in my shoe cupboard, bless him... and he was the most caring and loyal dog I could ever have had (he was trained and cared for properly tho!). I will definitely be getting another when we have a bigger garden (and kids!). :thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
08-03-2010, 03:19 PM
i can see everyones POV here and i agree with both sides. I trained as a kennel&cattery manager and did dog training too. i cant say that i have lots of experience but i do have some and as far as im concerned, any dog regardless of breed has the potential to be a killer. sometimes its their wiring (inbreeding) other times its because of abuse and sometimes it is simply because the baby/child did something to startle/frighten the animal.

you know deep down i am terrified that my dog might do something. he is now 17 and can barely walk to the end of the road but in his day he was awful and i had to muzzle him to walk him as he had been so badly treated as a pup (we rescued him when i was 15 in saudi arabia) we are having a small conservatory put on and i intend to make him comfortable out there when i have mindees but until that time i only have my sitting room for him or upstairs. now he cannot climb the stairs so what i do is build a barricade around him so that ds2 cant pester him. Max became a changed animal once i had ds1 and became protective of him. he would alert me if ds1 so much as whimpered in his sleep and has been the same with ds2 but that could easily change and i am ever vigilant. My mindees dad is concerned about my having a dog but they were both mollified when i explained the above to them. i know that i cannot trust max and and i am on red alert all the time.

i also know that once max leaves us, i wont be having another dog until the boys ask for one and then it will be something dopey. you know i say that? my mum has a golden retriever and he recently attacked max - totally floored him and he has growled at my baby so my post trips back to my original comment

any dog regardless of breed has the potential to do anything, for any reason.

i wouldnt leave my children with anyone that had;
staffs,
rotties,
dobermans,
ridgebacks (especially as i have been attacked by 4 of them!)
collies
alsatians/GSDs
jack russells
and i will add the lhasa apso to my list too because i have been attacked and bitten by everyone of those breeds. the lhasa apso nearly deprived me of my last 3 fingers on my right hand and i had to have 15 rabies injections to boot as we were in saudi arabia.

dlissaman
08-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Can't say anything that has already been said. Except my Scottish Collie (Lassie) was attacked by a Staffie when he was 8 months old the Staffie went for his jugular and apparantly Stafffies jaws lock on to the victim and it is almost impossible to get the dog off. :eek:

Sharon-H-E
08-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I think that it's a bit of a sweeping statement saying that just because some of us would not leave our child with a CM with a dog that it must be because we are not educated about it. The thing is, YOU might know your dog and trust it but a parent will not and for them not to want to take the risk with your staffy does not mean they are uneducated about your breed of dog.

Point taken, this is true that some may know fully about breed and still not choose to leave their child with a staffy or any dog, so yes i now realise that was a bit of a sweeping statement, they just arent any worse then any other dog was more the point i wanted to make, i should have made it more clear. No matter what some people just do not want to leave their child with any dogs which is totally their call. I just wanted to say that Staffys are not listed as a dangerous breed but they get a bad name because of pitbulls, sorry if i offended YOU:)

Sharon-H-E
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I agree these dogs can be great with kids/people, but my two dogs (whippets) were attacked by two of these blasted dogs just before Christmas and I have seen the damage that they can do :panic: £250 vet bills and countless staples they were lucky to be alive
It nearly happened again 2 weeks later, different staff
And 3 weeks ago my friends greyhound was nearly killed, another different staff
I can only walk my dogs early in the mornings, I do not understand why so many of these staffs are so dog aggressive? There are so many of them too :(

Unfortunately its usually a combination of the fact that the pitbull is banned in this country and some people want a threatening guard dog type that is similar to look at with a stocky solid body so they go for a Staffy to train to behave this way through cruel means, if raised from a puppy in a home Staffys are usually well tempered, honest:) im sorry to hear that you know of and have experienced so many horrible incidents involving them though:( hope your whippets are doing well now:)

Bitsy Beans
08-03-2010, 05:52 PM
the only thing that puts me off about Staffies is the fact that you cannot prise their jaws off anything once locked on. We always had labradors and pinching their muzzle always made them release. I went to a BBQ many years ago and a puppy staffie there was litterally hanging in mid air holding onto a big stick I was carrying :eek:
As an aside is this the only breed who lock their jaws?

In answer to the OP yes I am afraid a Staffie would put me off. But then again I'd also be looking at any CM with a dog very carefully too.
Sorry that's not meant to offend anyone just that not everyone goes to training etc.

cas2805
09-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Sorry just thought I would mention that I had heard that cats kill more children than dogs, they lay on top of them to keep them warm and smother them. Not sure if this is true, or another chinese whisper?

Caroline (Rottweiler owner)

Dare4Distance
09-03-2010, 03:42 PM
the only thing that puts me off about Staffies is the fact that you cannot prise their jaws off anything once locked on. We always had labradors and pinching their muzzle always made them release. I went to a BBQ many years ago and a puppy staffie there was litterally hanging in mid air holding onto a big stick I was carrying :eek:
As an aside is this the only breed who lock their jaws?

Dogs can't lock their jaws. No dog. Apparently the only animal that can lock its jaws is a crocodile.

They have strong jaws but so do all dogs. I have known tiny dogs that can hang onto a stick the same way you say the puppy staffie did.

mrsbish01
09-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I absolutely love Staffy's and as someone said before they are known as the 'nanny dog' for their loving caring nature. They are also one of ONLY two breeds, registered with the kennel club as being 'good with children'... it really gets me mad when they talk about dangerous dogs on the tv (especially as they did today) and they use pics of this breed - the media make the breed seem a million times worse than they could ever be and its such a shame. :angry:
I've had a staffy and hubbys family have all had them too (including his 70yr old grandparents).
If i was going to entrust my son with someone who had dogs, it would only be with a staffy - but i would expect them to only be present with an adult (not left in the room alone) and not for long periods... this is mainly as i know that my son would pester it something cronic and everyone has a breaking point :panic: and perhaps wait until you've got to know the dog more (as you dont know who it was with in the past or how it was treated)
I think it would be such a shame to give up on this dog because of others ignorance, it is the owners that make any dog bad.. not they breed. Just make it clear how or when they may have contact and its up to them to choose.

Dare4Distance
09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
it really gets me mad when they talk about dangerous dogs on the tv (especially as they did today) and they use pics of this breed - the media make the breed seem a million times worse than they could ever be and its such a shame. :angry:

I saw this too and pointed it out to my partner, it really made me mad. Whenever they talk about "dangerous dogs" they tend to show pictures of a Staffie. The thing is, the bit I saw, while they were talking about dangerous dogs, was of a woman holding, what looked like the sweetest staffie in her arms while it was being microchipped. It didn't look any more dangerous than any other dog :(

Mrs Book
09-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm standing up for Staffie dogs. My sister has a staff & she is as doppy as anything. She comes to stay and is very gentle with the boys.

I know quite a few people with staffie dogs & all have been gentle.

Like has been said I think it is the way people treat there dogs & bring their dogs up.

russell
09-03-2010, 10:50 PM
All dogs are dangerous if not looked after and trained properly,and yes lets be honest some dogs have a worse reputation than others but bare in mind any dog could attack and most dog bites inflicted are by the snappy little dogs and yes I have 2 dogs both staffordshire bull terriers and both adored by my mindees. They are not left on their own with them but neither were my other dogs which were not staffies I think the benefits that mindees get from being around animals far outweighs most other problems. I woud be a little more cautious if I did not know full history of animal but that would go for any breed. Enjoy your pets and you will gt parents who enjoy animals coming to you. I have not had problems at all.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JJAY
13-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi
just from my point of view as a parent myself, I wouldn't be happy leaving my child in a house with any dog.

mamasheshe
13-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm quite scared of dogs (and so are my DDS have tried unsuccessfully not to pass this fear onto them) I've been bitten twice as a child both times minding my own business! i think as long as you don't leave them unsupervised with mindees i wouldn't have a problem leaving my dds at a childminders with dogs if that makes sense ?