PDA

View Full Version : do you always feel in control?

newandlearning
14-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure.. I could have asked this before but I'm finding my own LO is going into the full swing of being a 2 year old and as such is sometimes having major tantrums, not always sharing, demanding specific food, and running whenever he sees a window to do so :panic: ... if my own LO is doing this then he's happy :phew: ... but then the 2 year old mindee kicks in and has his own dingdong tantrum which includes screaming 'I want mummy/daddy/the postman':laughing: ... well .. not really the postman but you get me gist...

I'm wondering how you's who have been a doing this a while have managed these types of moments.. I'm thinking I've just got to ride this rough waves...
putting either of them in a quiet space doesn't always work...

do you think its simpler just to accept this too will pass? xx

Pipsqueak
14-08-2009, 05:44 PM
You learn to let it just wash over you and not be too hard on yourself.

Today my own three have behaved badly and i felt like wringing their necks - it actually made me feel like i had no control what so ever.

nannymcflea
14-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Like most testing times, it will pass, though it takes forever when it's happening.Keep the boundaries the same for all children and stick with them.

It will probably settle when the schoolies have gone back.

ORKSIE
14-08-2009, 05:50 PM
My DS is 17 and my DD is 15 and sometimes I could quite easily ring their necks.
But you still have to stick to your guns when they are this age.
They can be challenging at a young age so set the boundaries and stick to them. ESTD::)

newandlearning
14-08-2009, 05:52 PM
NannyMcFlea said..It will probably settle when the schoolies have gone back.

oddly its almost feels like a little like they don't feel like they are getting enough attention and so are revolting... maybe things do change when schoolies go back..

why does it make a difference .. the group of children I have ultimately are really great together .. hmm?

Adiamond
14-08-2009, 06:38 PM
This is wierd I was just going to ask this same question (well nearly) I have had a nightmare day today actually couple of days. I am feeling like I am definatley NOT in control, my ds (7) has really been pushing the boundaries, if I say black he's says white I could scream at him :angry: he has been put to bed early tonight for not doing as I asked!!!!! and all he says is "or well" :angry: :angry:
Myself and dh have had a long discussion and both said that we need to follow through with the punishments cause he just runs rings around us, more so since I have been minding I am worried that the lo's will pick up some of the things he is doing :panic:
Roll on 3rd September :clapping: :clapping: I am hoping I can get into a proper routine then but it is good to know I am not the only one feeling like this :)

youarewhatyoueat
14-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I hate to say this but it got a lot easier when my youngest ds started playgroup at 2 for 1 morning building up to the 5 free sessions at 3.It gave me time to concentrate on work and not having to worry about keeping him and the mindees happy. I felt very guilty at first but it was so much easier, I took on an extra child to pay for extra sessions.

FussyElmo
14-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Would it be wrong of me to say that I've considered hanging one of mine as an example to their siblings!!!!

ZoeAlli
14-08-2009, 09:49 PM
No!! I don't always feel in control! The older DC's have not been too bad so far this holiday but youngest DC is going through aukward stage!! they have taken worst traits of older dc's and projected them on mindees!:eek: Presently throwing things, hitting and being difficult!! arrrgh! I am seriously hoping this "stage" will not last long!
Mindees are ok, although 3yr old copies my youngest dc's moves!!
I would say make sure they are safe and not going to hurt anyone else and let them get on with it-ignoring the behaviour! You could try distraction too!

mushpea
15-08-2009, 07:51 PM
there are days when i feel i could scream, pull my hair out and bounce of the walls, but not too often thank goodness
i have found that smileing and letting it all go over my head helps, ignoring tantrums and not replying to the i want mum/dad etc and be consistant,
i once had a mindee who was 3yrsold want a biscuit, i said no he had a paddy , we were going out to the local morrisons which was about 1/2 mile away and we were walking, he started of down the street yelling 'i want a biscuit' then it changed to ' i want my daddy' to which i replied you cant hes at work' then it changed to ' i want my mummyyyy' same reply' thenat the shop it was ' i want to hold the basket' i said' you can when you stop crying' he didnt so no basket, on the way home it was i want a buggy' sorry but your to big, by the time we got home my neighbhour stuck her head out and said 'still going then' to which he stopped looked at her then me and that was it, think he forgot what he was screaming for in the end:laughing:
i must admit i feel more in control when i have 6 or children than when i have only 3 cause the 3 of them argue but the more you have the more they seem to play and get on