PDA

View Full Version : are you doing lots of 'organised' stuff over summer?

newandlearning
14-08-2009, 05:22 PM
hi everyone.. I don't quite know why am feeling a bit inadequate this week..
we've got out everyday to the park, farm, country walk etc etc.. come home after a picnic.. watched a film and then rather mindees have gone home or free played...

now normally on school days we seem to do more adult-led activities after school etc. but I feel like doing adult led activities are a day out and about all seems a bit much...

all that said and done I feel like I'm being lazy not 'entertaining' more and then my other self feels that sometimes its good for everyone to have time to do their own thing especially when I've 5-6 every day...

does this all sound enough??

ORKSIE
14-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Sounds to me like your doing a grand job.
Lucky children.
You should be feeling proud of yourself.
Its hard work keeping children entertained and you are doing just that.
You dont have to go out every day, although I like to try to at least get to the park or they get a little stir crazy.
:thumbsup:

nannymcflea
14-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I do a similar thing over the summer. I go with them(as usual) but tend not to do planning, though do still take photos and write up their books,do daily diaries. As I see it they get me for the rest of the year, 6 weeks of no planning is doing them no harm! Plus usually I loose 1 for 6 weeks, though have had him this holiday. With my girls and extras there is no way I want to spend THEIR holidays sticking to a plan.

Don't worry, get back into gear when they go back to school.:thumbsup:

Trouble
14-08-2009, 05:31 PM
i think most childminders feel they should be doing things all day everyday but sometimes it nice to stop and watch and let the kids do the rest iykwim:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

FizzysFriends
14-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Its a lot more relaxed here in the holidays, mainly because the ages of the children vary so much.

tinkerbelle
14-08-2009, 05:58 PM
i haven't done nor intend doing any planning what so ever schools dont do the EYFS in the holidays so im having a break from it as well :blush:
my kids are all entertained, taken out somewhere daily have a brilliant time with the older ones and go home extremely happy talking about where we have been and what we have done so to me job done
EYFS can come back in september until then were having a ball

sue
14-08-2009, 06:20 PM
i haven't done nor intend doing any planning what so ever schools dont do the EYFS in the holidays so im having a break from it as well :blush:
my kids are all entertained, taken out somewhere daily have a brilliant time with the older ones and go home extremely happy talking about where we have been and what we have done so to me job done
EYFS can come back in september until then were having a ball

hear hear l agree

Playmate
14-08-2009, 06:28 PM
hear hear l agree

I agree to that too! I've had a great week my 9 year old has organised most of the activites, she's been kept amused , the little ones have loved her and hubby and I have supervised from a distance whilst catching up on some of those other little jobs that needed doing!

uf353432
14-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I haven't done any planning since my inspection end of July which just happened to coordinate with school being out for summer :)

When I had my inspection I showed her my written planning but also told her of my verbal planning for my youngest mindee and she said that was evidence enough - that it wasn't always necessary to document next steps and planning etc as long as when asked you could articulate it.

I prefer for children to lead the activities, I plan for example to take them out somewhere - like a walk - but what happens on that walk is down to the kids - today we picked blackberries and went home and made cakes. I planned to just take the kids out to walk the dog in the woods, they turned it into the afternoon it became.

Lady Haha
14-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I tend to have a rough structure for school holiday full day care.

Breakfast
Free play
Activity (craft/cooking etc)
Dinner
Outing (softplay/park etc)
Free play
Tea
Free play

Sometimes, the activity and outings get swapped round, but if I didn't have that breakdown for the day, I would go mad!!!

Twinkles
14-08-2009, 10:30 PM
I plan............I plan six picnics,six sunhats,six pairs of wellies, spare clothes, six coats,suncream,first aid kit, six bottles of water...................