PDA

View Full Version : Would they be classed as an under 5?

Lainey Lou
14-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Good morning, just a quick question. My registration states that I can have 2 children under 5 at any one time. A mum rang me the other day asking if I could do a before and after nursery school for her 3 year old, term time only. Would they still be classed as an under 5 with him being at school full time and me only having him for 3 hours a day at the most? :)

Helen79
14-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Sorry he'd still be classed as an under 5.
They're classed as a 'rising 5' so in your over 5 numbers once they're 4 & in reception class full time, 10 sessions a week.

You could always apply for a variation.

christine e
14-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Hi

You would have to include him in your under 5's until he is 4, when he is 4 years old and attending 10 nursery sessions per week (morning and afternoon) he could then be treated as a 5 year old regarding numbers.

Cx

watgem
14-08-2009, 07:07 AM
because he is under 5 and although he will be at nursery school all day this is still classed as "pre-school". school proper starts sometimes at 5 years of age or in many areas the September after a child turns 4 and even then a child is not classed by Ofsted as being of school age until they attend proper school full time-sorry.

Lainey Lou
14-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks for your replies. I thought this would probably be the case but just wanted to double check! x :)

rickysmiths
14-08-2009, 07:44 AM
They are not counted as over five when they are in nursery.

The key is when they start Complusory school. This is the year in which they turn five. Reception Year If you have one of the 'run in' schools where they don't start 10 full time sessions until after half term it is at this point they are classed over five.

Could you not request a Variation to cover the before and after nursery hours?

Mollymop
14-08-2009, 08:09 AM
The child would have to have started school - be in reception which is the very first year of school to be classed as a raising 5 which means they would be 4 but coming 5 in that school year.

Mollymop
14-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi

You would have to include him in your under 5's until he is 4, when he is 4 years old and attending 10 nursery sessions per week (morning and afternoon) he could then be treated as a 5 year old regarding numbers.

Cx

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there, hun

The child would have to be at school to be classed as a "raising 5 year old"

I have a mindee who will be 4 after the new year and will be in 10 sessions at pre-school but she will not be a raising 5 until she has started full time education, in the following september.

Maybe that is what you meant. sorry if so x

christine e
14-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree with you there, hun

The child would have to be at school to be classed as a "raising 5 year old"

I have a mindee who will be 4 after the new year and will be in 10 sessions at pre-school but she will not be a raising 5 until she has started full time education, in the following september.

Maybe that is what you meant. sorry if so x

Sorry I did get that wrong they need to be at school attending 10 sessions - brain not fully in gear when I replied early this morning.

Cx

green puppy
14-08-2009, 06:29 PM
There was a thread about this a while ago. When I had my inspection last november my inspecter told me that my 4 year old after school mindee could be classed as an over 5 for ratio purposes because she attended pre-school 9-3 five days a week. As long as the 4 year old attended ten sessions a week it didn't matter if it was nursery, pre-school or reception. This also counted in the holidays too.