PDA

View Full Version : At What Age do I Introduce Multi-Cultural Themes

BlossomCC
13-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Hello

This feel like a bit of a daft question but I am currently putting together a long term plan and am in the middle of adding a series of religious and secular festivals that occur during the latter part of 2009.

My question is, once I'm registered (fingers crossed September) I will have a two x 22 month olds and a 10 month old.

Obviously they will have no idea what these festivals are about but will Ofsted expect me to include age-appropriate activities based around these events.

Or, is it just enough at this stage to ensure the children have lots of positive and interesting images of people from all around the world?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

sarah707
14-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Positive images all around is the way to go with that age children - here are some threads...

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=41&highlight=multicultural

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=40&highlight=disability

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=211&highlight=multicultural

As they move towards 3 ish you will find they are more restless and ready to learn and have a little structure in their days.

When this happens, you can start introducing activities to follow what they are doing elsewhere such as fun things with shapes and numbers or a 'people who help us' theme to match with the local fire station open day.

You will celebrate major festivals in yours and the children's and your local area's religions and cultures simply by going to see the Chinese lanterns in February or making a Christmas cake together or doing mothers / fathers / grandparents day cards or having birthday parties or watching an episode of a children's programme that talks about Diwali and copying the sand pictures... all this is organic and part of your daily and weekly planning anyway.

The thing with planning is that it must meet the children's individual needs at the time, so whatever you do has to be geared to them. That's why you can't do things too far in advance :D

miffy
14-08-2009, 07:02 AM
Hello

This feel like a bit of a daft question but I am currently putting together a long term plan and am in the middle of adding a series of religious and secular festivals that occur during the latter part of 2009.

Keep it to a simple, outline plan just to show your awareness of different festivals and what you might celebrate with the children as they get older

Or, is it just enough at this stage to ensure the children have lots of positive and interesting images of people from all around the world?
Definitely the way to go at this age!
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Hope that helps
Miffy xx

sweets
14-08-2009, 08:08 AM
i don't think that multi cultural issues and themes should really be introduced, it should be just part of every day life. Do you watch something special? that introduces them signing, they see black people on tv and out and about. Yes you can celebrate the festivals but do it age appropriate, for under two,s i wouldn't do a lot, maybe something like just making a dragon picture when its chinese new year.

BlossomCC
14-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi All

Once again, thanks again for your brilliant feedback. It's saved me hours of worrying about what I should or shouldn't be doing.

I will definitely use all of the ideas you've given me :clapping:

Have a lovely weekend.

Emma
X