PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Evacuation Advice please?!

harrysgirl
13-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi
I'm in desperate need of inspiration!!
I have a 2 yr old & a 3 yr old who in the past have been very co-operative when it comes to practice emergency evacuations - curious about the smoke alarm sound, following instructions to the word and leaving the house calmly with me all to plan and running smoothly.......until this week!!!!!!!!!
....This week they have not wanted to co-operate at all!
We did our monthly practice on Monday - the alarm went off as usual - they looked up from their play for a second, laughed at me and continued playing :panic: Even with gentle persuasion and me explaining what they need to do & why, just as have done in the past (but with a little more urgency in my voice!) they were having none of it :(
So I made note of it in my records & re-scheduled another for the following day......and guess what the little darlings did exactly the same thing :panic: :panic: :panic:

.....Any suggestions on how I can promote the need for them to be taking this seriously without frightening them?????

sweets
13-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Don't do it for a while, so the novelty of it wears off, i don't do it monthly, just now and again.

Helen79
13-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't do mine monthly either, just whenever I feel we need to.
I would still have made them go outside though, what would happen if they did this if there was a fire & they decide to laugh about it & not want to leave?

I would've scooped them both up, one under each arm & got them out the house as fast as possible as I would in a real fire.

Have you read 'Frances the Firefly' to them, I found that really good for when my dd was younger to start to understand the danger of fire.

sweets
13-08-2009, 02:56 PM
one of mine often says "is it the toast or do we have to go outside":blush: :blush:

sarah707
13-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I put loads of fire activities in free downloads.

Maybe you could have a 'people who help us' week and check for clues as the policeman, check the fire alarm as the fireman etc...

I do mine once a month with various children. They are all involved at least every 2 months.

I have issues with 2 of them but we keep plugging on :D

harrysgirl
13-08-2009, 03:40 PM
I knew I could rely on you for some ideas...thanks! :thumbsup:

I'll look up the Frances the Firefly book & a bit of role-play sounds good - they'll love that.

Of course in a real emergency situation they would be scooped up no questions asked - probably still clinging on to whichever toy they were playing with at the time as well!!

I will keep persevering ;)