PDA

View Full Version : am i being unfair

disney
22-02-2008, 02:21 PM
:idea: Hi just was wondering what you guys would do , when i first started minding i had a hourly rate per hour but have been looking after a child since sept and she starts at 7am , but when mum came i told her that i didnt want to start untill 8am but she said she was desperate .but the problem is she is the only one as the rest do start at 8 but to be honest im really tired getting up at 6 just for the same money as every other hour . also her contract needs re doing now so was going to mention this it doesnt seem worth while x

berkschick
22-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I would charge her a higher hourly rate before 8 if I were you or if you really dont want to carry on with the early mornings then I would see if she can adjust her hours now she has been with you for a while.

miffy
22-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I'd definitely charge a higher rate for the first hour as I'd class it as unsocial hours

Miffy xx

emler
22-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I agree with Miffy.

Emler x

tulip0803
22-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I agree. It's unsocial and you should charge more.

Juliaxx

son77
22-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Anything before 8am or after 5.30pm I charge at £5.00 per hour (but will be going up in April).

I would just explain how you feel, I would imagine she would struggle to find anyone else to look after her child from 7am without an extra charge.

sarah707
22-02-2008, 02:34 PM
It's not good for you if you are feeling resentful about what you are charging - always best to be honest and open with parents and save any future ill feeling :D

deeb66
22-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Approach the mum again and ask if you can move the start time to 8 am

If she can't then explain that you normally don't do before 8 and that you will have to charge a higher rate for that hour.

If mum really needs that extra hour cover she will probably be ok about having to pay a little extra for it.

Kelly
23-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree with Dee I would have a chat with mum and explain that you would prefer to move to an 8am start, and that if you need that if she cannot you will need to increase the hourly rate.

miss muffit
24-02-2008, 09:39 AM
I think its best to chat with Mum...before 8am you should charge a bit more.......hang on i have one at 7.30 and i dont charge more i will have to review this ummmmmmmm!!!

K :) :) :)

angeldelight
24-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Just wanted to say good luck whatever you decide to do

Angel xx

littletreasures
24-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Mmmm I also start at 7.15/7.30 and don't charge more than by standard hourly rate.

I think it should be more though. I had begun to resent my 7.15 coming early and unbreakfasted. She is my niece. I left a message in the daily diary to feed her before she came as I couldn't fit in giving her breakfast before all the others started (staggered start times). She was waking up at 5.30/6 and they weren't giving her anything not even milk before she came to me. After leaving the note, hey presto, she comes breakfasted and a lot happier!!!

As your contract is due to be reviewed, I would talk to the Mum and see if she could change her hours, even 7.30 would be better than 7 or charge her the higher rate.

Hope you get it sorted.
Jules

Nix
24-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I have children who start at 715 and although I don't charge extra I wonder if I should now!

Perhaps you could speak to the mum, let her know how you're feeling and see if she could arrive later or negotiate an increased hourly charge for that first hour.

I do charge extra after 6pm.

Best regards

miffy
24-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Just wanted to say good luck whatever you've decided to do - hope you get it sorted

Let us know how you get on

Miffy xx

disney
24-02-2008, 11:16 AM
:) Thanks every one i am going to talk with mum , but she just happens to be the most difficult parent i have when it comes to talking money . she once told me that she did not need me to have her child on fridays any more as her dad would have her i said ok but she did not want to pay to keep the place open incase dad changed his mind . but she was contracted to this any way i agreed then after 1 day he changed his mind so shes back with me ./ by the way it was only £ 6 so we will have to see x

miffy
24-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Sounds like you're going to have to be very firm then

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted

Miffy xx

mel
24-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Hope you manage to sort it - I would definitely charge extra before 8 as unsociable hours

Mel x

Rubybubbles
24-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I have always had a £1.50 per 1/4 before 8am and after 6pm so would be an extra £6 for that:D no way would I get up for less:o

Mollymop
24-02-2008, 04:57 PM
I am going to be open early from 5.30am (yes, I am crazy) till 8pm for shift workers, etc, hoping to get a lot of business that way, but I will be charging a £1 more per hour before 8 and after 6pm

flora
24-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I charge for anti social hours before 8 and after 6. Do you have to get up so early??? I did before school care for my two for a bit and they arrived at 7.15 and I used to roll out at 6.45 sometime 7 if I slept thru the alarm :blush: . As they were having breakfast I used to eat with them. At the time of the morning every minute in bed counts. :D

wendywu
24-02-2008, 09:41 PM
If any one wants before 7am in my setting then they pay for them to sleep the night before. Its not fair on a child being got out of a warm bed to be dropped at a minders for 5.30 or 6 am. At least if they sleep the night they can get up at a reasonable time. It would also put out my whole routine of going out to toddlers in the morning, and they get very ratty, to say nothing of me being ratty:censored:

disney
25-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi if i start work at 7 or 8 i have to give myself 1 hour to get ready , before the children arrive as i do like my me time . i have shower every morning and wash my hair and i have to have a cup of tea with my tablets and go toilet ect .infact this hour goes really quick also have to let the dog out for his doings . and lots more xxx:blush: :laughing:

disney
26-02-2008, 01:49 PM
spoken to mum last night and she has agreed to pay the extra hourly rate , as she said that their was no way she could cut her hours . so i will get extra money for it . but still feel awful as she is struggling being divorced . so i recomended for her to try and claim for some child care cost but she said that they would not give her any help because her earnings are to high .

yet she is complaining about paying me when she goes on her holls for 2 wee
ks in april to florida and 2 weeks sept to spain if you see what i mean :(

deeb66
26-02-2008, 01:56 PM
If she can't claim any assistance then her earnings must be pretty high so I would stop worrying about asking her to pay the extra.

She is not exactly short of money if she can afford 2 holidays abroad. Reminder her that the holiday arrangements are in your contact and that is what she agreed to......she knew this when she booked the holidays!!!!!!

Chimps Childminding
26-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree with everyone else, although I start at 7.30 and don't charge extra i wish i did. My problem is the family that come early have been with me for years so i find it a bit difficult now (two eldest children 11 and 9 - baby 8 months) so I have been having them for a while as you can see.

This morning for example I only had the 9 year old before school (baby doesn't come today and elder child doesn't come anymore) but I had to get up and organised just for the one child for an hour 7.30-8.30 - i have got no one the rest of the day and the child has after-school clubs tonight!!!!!!!! :(

LittleMissSparkles
26-02-2008, 02:06 PM
glad mum has agreed to new rate for before 8am, I charge double time for outside the hours of 8am and 6pm as I dont really want to work outside these hours xxx

ChocolateChip
10-03-2008, 11:19 PM
My normal rate is £3 an hour but before 8am or after 6pm is £4.50.

:laughing:

angeldelight
11-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Well done and glad mom is going to pay you extra

I know you feel sorry for her but really its not your problem is it - anyone else would charge the extra so dont worry

Angel xx