PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with food

sarah32
22-02-2008, 02:14 PM
You've probably read my previous post about a 11 month little boy I mind, that hes been coughing and being sick, update is finally he's stopped coughing and being sick.

But i've been having another problem with him, when he came to me at 6 months mum had him on dry food and jars which she supplied to me so I carried on but at xmas I mentioned that at 8/9 months we should maybe get him on to proper food as powder is so sloopy. She did this over xmas and he came back to me eating blended food which was great. Hes always been a bit of a problem getting him to eat certain foods, just spits them out but lately Ive been trying to feed him lumpyer food as nearly one. Its been a complete nightmare, he spits it out and when I manage to get him to eat it, he starts heaving and sicks it back up.

Im having a bit of a sick complex, Im not very good as dealing with anyway and now I dread everytime I feed him.:panic:

Ive asked mum a few questions and she says hes eating fine, but I think she blending everything. I put down in his book for mum to see what happens through the day and I always put down when he sick and why.

What do I do, keep blending it for awhile? has anyone else had this with a 11 months old???

sarah

sarah707
22-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Ug! Poor little man... and poor you! I dislike sick as well! :panic:

You need to talk to the mum again - if he's not happy eating what you are providing then she must send it until he is on normal food... save you and him a lot of distress in the long run :D

deeb66
22-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I had a child with much the same problem.

Some younger children just struggle with lumps and the more you push it the worse it will be,

I continued to blend to smooth consistency for a month or two then tried again.....it still didn't work so went back to blending.

A couple of months later I tried again and everything is ok.

I think you just have to go with the flow and don't end up making mealtimes into a battlefield or puking zone!

Noodles
22-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I had a 9mth old whos mum insisted on feeding him the first baby rice stuff. She then started adding this to everything else. I tried talking to her but couldnt get thru to her that he needed more than just baby rice. All she ever wanted to do was fill him up with milk.
In the end she started to change but still fed him mainly liquid food

son77
22-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Its not your problem to get him to eat lump food, its his parents.

Some children do take a while to eat lumpy food so dont worry to much.

I would blend it enough so he will eat it, then every week just make it slightly lumpier, or take out a normal unblended spoonful, blend the rest, then add the lumpier spoon back in again so he's only got a small amount of lumpy food to eat.

Hope this makes sense & good luck xxx

Blaze
22-02-2008, 02:37 PM
My son is 3 in the Summer...he will eat blended smooth foods & normal foods (proper solids)but has NEVER eated in-between without throwing up & has been that way since 9 months despite my best efforts!:rolleyes:

Tasha:)

Schnakes
22-02-2008, 02:52 PM
My (well, not my...you know what I mean!) baby is like this. Shes a really good eater, but wont tolerate any lumps. (She was 1 in Jan). I just go with the flow, tbh...I dont want to force the issue and put her off eating at all. I have started to make the blends thicker...just not lumpy. This has worked suprisingly well. When she first started weaning she wouldnt open her mouth to eat - just suck the food off the spoon. Im sure this is why she hates anything lumpy.

Sx

Mags
22-02-2008, 03:23 PM
i mind a two and a half year old who still has everything blended. Any lumps and thats it she starts to heave and the lot comes back up.

I also spoke to mum who said she fills her up with milk and ceralac at home.

i just decided that as long as she is getting enough of what she needs i will carry on blending her food for now.

gemmcd
22-02-2008, 06:14 PM
The baby I mind (who is nearly 11 mths) and also my own son was like this - they refused to eat anything off a spoon - I ended up BLW with my son from 6 mth old, infact he has never ever eaten off a spoon from me! - and recommended this to the mum when she was worried that her son wasn't eating anything. Now he eats like a monster - we just give him sticks of carrots, brocolli stems, chicken strips etc and he feeds himself - I know it's not quite the same but it is very different to being fed lumpy foods where you can't control - with them feeding themselves they are in complete control. How is he with eating toast say or a rusk? If he likes holding the food himself then forget purees and making them more lumpier - go straight for 'real' food.

P.S. It did take a few weeks for this baby to get the hang of it and parents to realise that though it is messy and it seems like the food is going on the floor, they do eat! Mum swears by it now!

Schnakes
22-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Gem - I had that with my own son and also one of the mindees...they absolutely refused to let me feed them...until I thought, oohh...why dont I try letting them do it themselves. Both now eat like there's now tommorow!

Sx