PDA

View Full Version : 5 things about you

Pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 07:58 AM
A feel good (reflective) thread....

5 (minimum) good things about you as a childminder and/or your practice. What makes your setting individual to you or sets you aside from your local colleagues.

1) I care about each and evey child and can honestly say I treat each family as individual and as a human being

2) My 'setting' is homely, fun, exciting, stimulating, interesting - a place where a child can be a child

3) Children and their families are included and integrated into my own family (on a professional and often on a more personal) level

4) I 'do stuff' with the children - eg/ messy play (and in the house), we go out, I listen to their opinions and plan around their interests

5) I am a good listener (children and adults), and am responsive and flexible whilst still offering a professional service.

Now I know that not different to how you all work but believe me its different to how some minders in my area actually are.

We are all good at picking out our bits that we think we don't do well and after my rather yuk start to the week I have been trying to think to myself what it is I do well....... never hurts to remind ourselves

FussyElmo
12-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Okay this is hard.....

1. Mindees are part of the family not just a contract (yes I know should keep them separate).

2. I dont mind looking silly with then when we are out - will join in with anything.

3. I dont put my children in pushchairs when misbehaving and leave them there because I cant cope (pet hate).

4. I dont believe my house should be spotless while the children are here.

5. I love showing them new things just to see them go WOW.

Probably not put very well.........

Pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Aww thats lovely Fussy especially number 2 (and I hate number 3 as well!!!).

Yes it is hard to say something good about yourself isn't it - we don't praise ourselves enough but are quick enough to believe we aren't doing something right!!!

sweets
12-08-2009, 08:16 AM
i find this sort of thing hard!!
I agree with what you have both said, (apart from being silly in public, i just can't do that!)lol.
i can't think of any of my own tho:panic:

Pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I agree with what you have both said, (apart from being silly in public, i just can't do that!)lol.

Bet you can Sweets - don't be modest, blow your own trumpet (go on cuz no one else is going to do it for you) have a think and type it out

sweets
12-08-2009, 08:19 AM
mmm could take a while!!! lol. logging off for a bit now as going tohave a shower, been v lazy this morn, no mindees today. :laughing:

FussyElmo
12-08-2009, 08:19 AM

Cause you can think of everything you see that another cm does that winds you and then compare it to what you do.

PMa - Postive mental attitude is hard but we all should do it.

Pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 08:22 AM
PMa - Postive mental attitude is hard but we all should do it.

oooh I like THAT. PMA (that needs to be our mantra and added to the abbreviations list:thumbsup: )

FussyElmo
12-08-2009, 08:26 AM
PMA was the first thing our NVQ 3 instructer taught us. Told us we all needed to do it and she was right :)

Hebs
12-08-2009, 08:43 AM
ok i'll have a shot at this although i'm no good at looking for the postivies in myself :blush:

1, I am very flexible in regards to my working hours to ensure continity of care for the children (unfortunatly parents abuse this)

2, I love caring for the "hard to care for" kids, ie special needs etc i love the challenge and the rewards are endless as every achievement is a HUGE reward.

3, Mindees are accepted as part of the family, midees even call my mum nana linda :blush: parents love this as it shows that we love having the kids here.

4, I love the relationship i have with (most) of my parents, one even trusting me enough to take a mindee on holiday with us,

5, I love getting messy with the kids and not having to act my age :laughing:

haribo
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
1. i greet parents and mindees with a big smile at the start /end of each day ,even if its been tough 2. i treat each child like an individual and make them feel special . 3. we do fun things in the house and go on an outing every day even if just for a walk 4. my family love having mindees here and often get involved in what we do , 5. i listen to parents woes and am on the way to being a great agony aunt ( not sure thats a positive :laughing: ) gosh it really is hard to think of good things to say about yourself isnt it , but as you say no- ne else will if you dont :thumbsup:

ajs
12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
here goes but after last year my pma is at an all time low so not sure i can find 5

1) like you all the children are absorbed into my family, even though all of mine are teenagers they adore the little ones and often do things for the families even when i am not working and my hubby loves the little ones too

2) i gave up on my house in 2000 when i registered

3) i have a special bond with my families even to the point of being mum's birth partner when j was born last year

4) if i am out and need time out for one of the kids i try to sit them on my lap rather than put them in a buggy and turn them to a wall

5) we have fun......i love not having to act my age too, in fact today as it's one of the little ones last day we are in our pyjamas and are off out to a play centre for lunch.

sweets
12-08-2009, 09:16 AM
5) we have fun......i love not having to act my age too, in fact today as it's one of the little ones last day we are in our pyjamas and are off out to a play centre for lunch

are you going to the play centre in pj's?:laughing:

ajs
12-08-2009, 09:19 AM
5) we have fun......i love not having to act my age too, in fact today as it's one of the little ones last day we are in our pyjamas and are off out to a play centre for lunch

are you going to the play centre in pj's?:laughing:

yes of course lol:laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Well done everyone - we are doing great - keep them coming.:clapping:

tammerisk
12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
well here goes

1 i love and treat all the children i care for as my own
2 i teach all the children thing i know they will never learn anywhere else(all good and how to look after mother earth)
3 i am here to listern to all the problems of the parents (even when i really would like someone to listern to me)
4 i belive all the children that end up in my care are here for a reson and will lear a valuble life lesson for me
5 my perpose in live is to inprove the life of the children i care for even if they are only with me for a short while

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
12-08-2009, 07:59 PM
1. I love "naughty" and mischevious children and see them as a challenge
2. I dont mind singing, dancing and generally looking silly in public
3. During minded hours the house is a mess and looks like an overturned toy shop
4. I have my mindees for free! One is on maternity leave with his mum but i have organised a teddy bears picnic for all the local cm's really dont want this child to miss out seeing all his old friends so asked if i can borrow him for the morning
5, I take the children out every single day rain or shine to either a toddler group or a soft play session

LittleMissSparkles
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
gosh this is hard isnt it ...

I always great parents/mindees with a big smile inthe morning and when they are collected no matter how i actually feel ( this has been noted on parent questionaires too :) )

I to the best of my ability provide a diverse setting with lots of choice and activities for the children to do

I always take the children out regularly especially in the school hols on day trips etc

I spoil them rotten at christmas time with a gift and trip to the panto which we ALL love including me :D

really bad answers i no especially no 4 but its hard to big up yourself isnt it lol

nannymcflea
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
This is really hard, though it shouldn't be.

1. I am VERY flexible regarding days/hours that my children attend.

2. I "care" for them and worry about them too.(although sometimes I'm glad to hand them back!)

3.I have been a shoulder to cry on for the older ones.

4.I plan activities for "them", even if I don't particually want to do them!

5.I shall probably cry when I finish in 3 weeks.:(

helenlc
12-08-2009, 08:12 PM
1. I plan activities and buy toys/craft things for the children's individual interests

2. We go out every day and I try to make sure the outing suits everyone of every age and interest

3. We sit down at all meal times TOGETHER which some children dont get at home

4. Children have their own coat hooks, boxes for stuff, cups, beakers etc at my house so they all feel like they belong here

5. Parents leave their children in the morning knowing they are in for a fun, safe and full day - children leave at the end of the day knowing they can do it all over again the next time they come!!!

Bitsy Beans
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I've only just officially started but the one thing that I can say with confidence is that after a day with me and my two kids my mindee doesn't want to go home :D She actually has a paddy about going home. Her mum says she's not like this with many people which I take as a huuuuuuuge compliment.

It's not much of a list but it makes me feel really good to know that she's enjoying being here so much she doesn't want it to end.
Am dreading the day when she doesn't paddy about going home :eek: :o

Pipsqueak
12-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I've only just officially started but the one thing that I can say with confidence is that after a day with me and my two kids my mindee doesn't want to go home :D She actually has a paddy about going home. Her mum says she's not like this with many people which I take as a huuuuuuuge compliment.

It's not much of a list but it makes me feel really good to know that she's enjoying being here so much she doesn't want it to end.
Am dreading the day when she doesn't paddy about going home :eek: :o

That is a really lovely start and its good to start giving yourself a pat on the back:thumbsup:

Lady Haha
13-08-2009, 08:37 PM
There are minders I have met local to me that provide the 'same' service.....apart from:

1. I put 110% into my work and am forever patting myself on the back for stuff I do that I really don't have to do!

2. I genuinely feel I will now leave a mark on a small part of the world when I peg it, as hopefully I will have touched and helped to shape so many little personalities who will be better adults because of me:D .

3. For parents I am extremely approachable, friendly and will help out whenever humanly possible, but also able to remain business like (which I'm sure must be reassuring as well as annoying!)

4. I am able to have a 'buddy' type relationship with the kids, but also maintain a level of authority!!!!

5. And I am geniunely not in the job for the money! I spend it all on the bloomin' kids!!! Outings, new toys, dress up stuff, etc!!!

I enjoyed doing that, makes you feel good don't it!!!!

ORKSIE
13-08-2009, 08:46 PM
1. I love watching the babies grow and develope physically and mentally.

2. I have enjoyed the diversity of the children in my care and have learnt from them.

3.makes me proud when parents say " I go to work knowing my child is safe"

4. I took a little one out today to a paddling pool at the Central Park, the sounds she made filled me with pride.

5. I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katickles
13-08-2009, 10:18 PM
1, each child I have ever minded has ment alot to me & I have hopefully left that child with some lovely memories

2, I get such a buzz from seeing the childrens big happy faces when they turn up at my house in the mornings

3, I enjoy seeing a child learn things & when we show mummy & daddy seeing how proud they are of their lo

4, When I am out & about at the weekends I am often buying little bits & pieces that I see for the children as I know how much they will enjoy them

5, I am very very proud of each child I care for :D

(hope I have actually done that right!:blush: )

uf353432
14-08-2009, 09:47 AM
1) for those children who lack stability in their life I offer a stable pontoon to sit and dangle their feet in the calm water. For the rest I offer a place in which children can be children, give them space to expore and play without the confines of time and keeping clean. Let them make decisions for themselves and encourage them bit by bit to try new things. Every laugh and smile is etched in my head and is reward that I am doing a good job.

2) I work very hard with parents, I am organised, efficient, I communicate effectively and I offer a good level of flexibility and value for money. Parents know that they can trust me, but they also know that I don't take their trust lightly - I consider it a massive honour that my parents entrust their most important family members to my care.

3) In the unlikeliest of places I find opportunity to play with children. A walk, in the garden, in the car - we'll turn it into a game to while away the time.

4) The food I prepare for kids is all home made, not from jars or packets. Every child who eats a my house has a good meal and a variety of meals.

5) and finally - and this is a biggy - i'm actually just a big kid myself - I love spending time with the children - because actually I never grew up lol!

jeanybeany
14-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Well, this is just the kind of thread I need at the moment (lol)

1. I treat all my minded children like family and look on their parents as extended family. It pleases me that the children are confident enough to go in the kitchen cupboard to get a beaker for juice etc and it pleases me that parents come in and want to sit and chat (I often have to kick one out so I can do the school run).

2. I plan and provide for all their individual needs to the best of my ability and took a recent comment of one of my mindees mums as a huge compliment. I had made x a treasure basket etc and X's mums friend works for a Childrens Centre. She went for a visit recently with X to use the sensory room. Whilst there she was shown around and her friend had commented on what a wonderful childminder she must have as everything she was shown X mum said "oh he does that at the CM and X CM has done that for him etc" I was really pleased as her friend said she doesn't know any other childminders that do all that and her mum is a CM!

3. I take the children to toddler groups, outings and other places (not like some others I know).

4. Forever buying toys and equipment I know they would like!

5. I try to look after them to a high standard and many people have often come up to me and said " you are always so caring towards the other children, not only your own"(I should hope so can't imagine being any other way). A lady has to me that if she ever goes back to work then she wants her children to come to me!

I don't know if this is what you were looking for but the main things for me are that I meet the needs of the children, provide excellent care for them whilst here and that they feel safe and secure.
I hope I am doing this...

Jeanybeany:D