PDA

View Full Version : How to .....

Saranotts
12-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Tactfully discuss with a parent weaning without making her feel incompetent or that I am bossing her about?

I feel awful but yesterday I had to explain to the parent of a four month old that they aren't meant to have gravy due to the salt content. They started weaning two weeks ago and are already giving the baby a wide variety of foods which in one way is great but my belief has always been that you should introduce new foods a day or two apart so that you can look out for allergies and to not overload the senses. I also think there really isn't a need to flavour babies food as it is already full of new flavours to their taste buds anyway.

The mother is very intelligent and very laid back, which a lot of the time I like but on this issue I do think that she needs to perhaps find out more info and not just do what her mother and sister say they did many years ago.

Sooo how do I go about it? I really don't want to offend or upset her as I do think that being a new mum is a difficult job and I don't want to knock her confidence.

I got a government download off the internet yesterday about weaning and I wondered if anyone knew of any good little books about weaning that I could perhaps buy and lend to her. Or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Many thanks

Sara

Roseolivia
12-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Lorraine Kelly has a childrens book and Annabel Karmel. Could you not contact your local surestart centre as they'll have leaflets on weaning for parents.

flora
12-08-2009, 07:35 AM
hi sarah,

difiicult one, as to how not ot offend mum.

as for books i like annabel karmel's recipes, they have loads of lovely combinations to try and also she gives nutritional advice so that mums can make informed choices :thumbsup:

mummyroysof3
12-08-2009, 07:42 AM
id just give her some info you find and say something along the lines of i found some info and recipies that i thought you might like, see how that goes:)

i agree that its difficult when someone is doing something you concider against government advice etc but i guess the best you can do is provide info she may not have seen and not give the gravy when baby is with you:)

charlotte x

sweets
12-08-2009, 07:44 AM
i'm not sure as hasn't weaned a baby for a while, but i think you can get baby gravy that doesn't have much salt in! still 4mnths does seem a bit young for it.

sarah707
12-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Aren't they supposed to wait until 6 months nowadays? That's what the parents of my little ones told me.

I'd express concern in a 'think you should ask your HV' type of way as things have changed since my 2 were small but other parents tell me it's really strict what you can give to babies nowadays blah blah...

There's only so much you can do really though except make sure he doesn't eat it with you like mummy roys says.

Hth :D

kindredspirits
12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
i'd just say that your own safety guidelines suggest that you should not be feeding a little baby salty gravy etc so could she please refrain from bringing it to your house as you don't want to give the baby something that might harm her - that way you're not telling her what to do and she might get the message that what she is giving to the baby is not healthy! ;)

Saranotts
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Aren't they supposed to wait until 6 months nowadays? That's what the parents of my little ones told me.

I'd express concern in a 'think you should ask your HV' type of way as things have changed since my 2 were small but other parents tell me it's really strict what you can give to babies nowadays blah blah...

There's only so much you can do really though except make sure he doesn't eat it with you like mummy roys says.

Hi Sarah, they were the lines I went along, so hopefully it was ok and you are right the guidelines do suggest six months but she spoke to HV who said that if she wanted she could start early but to take it steady and gave her some leaflets (they were in the nappy bag) but I don't think she has really bothered with them and is just listening to her family, whose youngest child is a 11 years old and who have perhaps forgotten all the advice they were given (iyswim).

She is also giving the baby calpol on virtually a daily basis as he gets grouchy in the afternoon (and she thinks its his teeth) but I haven't and wont do this and he certainly hasn't been a problem for me. I just find it so difficult to say things as I don't want to offend but I also don't want the baby to end up with a problem.

Sara

louise
12-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Its so hard isn't it. Mindee was 6 months when she started so she had always started. Untill 2 months ago they where sending 1 large jar and a pud a day. This was to be split between lunch and dinner! I was having to give her loads of snacks as she was hungry at home she would have what the parents ate. I tried to approach them loads with her being hungry and needing to eat more. I said many a time that its no problem for me to reheat food they had made. Suddenly they started to give 2 jars a day and last week they started to send a lunch and home cooked dinner. The food they send now is way too much and she really is not keen on bread.

I also thought she was drinking to much milk as she had it 5 times a day. I thought by the time my son was 1 he only had in morning and night. This has now been reduced.

rickysmiths
12-08-2009, 10:07 AM

That is what I understood and what I have seen parents following until the last three I have had and all started on solids at 4months!

However the mums did start with pureed fruit and veg and introduce new things slowly. I think like the original poster I would have pointed out about the gravy. I would just have a fairly general conversation and maybe offer the loan of one of my books to see if she finds some more ideas. Also suggest a check visit to the HV .