PDA

View Full Version : HELP WITH OBS PLEASE

Sarahbelle
12-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Ok, I have a new mindee who is only 5 months. It is a long time since I had a baby. I have noticed that he is pulling the objects on the baby gym towards him and putting them in his mouth. This comes under PD, Using Equipment and Materials - "reach out for, touch and begin to hold objects".

But what next steps do I put? What about putting toys to side and adjusting length of those above so that he has to explore more? Does this sound right?

Any help would be good. Thanks.

mummyroysof3
12-08-2009, 08:06 AM
that sounds ok to me but not minding yet so not sure, but with 3 children under 5 of my own thats what id do next :)

sarah707
12-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Forget about the Eyfs for a minute...

Ok, so you have a baby in the house and he's reaching out for toys - what would you do? How would you support him?

You'd put them slightly out of reach to promote movement; use a baby arch so he can kick them; play peepo behind them; provide safe things for him to bite; give him a range of textures to explore; lay him outside so he can watch the sky; talk to him about the toys he is holding; give him a texture book to prod and suck...

Right now back to the Eyfs... and you've done it already :D

Rubybubbles
12-08-2009, 08:36 AM

Ok, so you have a baby in the house and he's reaching out for toys - what would you do? How would you support him?

You'd put them slightly out of reach to promote movement; use a baby arch so he can kick them; play peepo behind them; provide safe things for him to bite; give him a range of textures to explore; lay him outside so he can watch the sky; talk to him about the toys he is holding; give him a texture book to prod and suck...

welcome back sarah;) have a nice break

Sarahbelle
12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks Sarah

Excellent advice as usual. You were right. Better to stand back and think about how I can support this rather than think about where it comes in the EYFS. :)

Bitsy Beans
12-08-2009, 10:26 AM

That is such a good way of looking at it :clapping: :laughing:
Now this is why I can't see the wood for the trees ;)

Sarahbelle
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
That is such a good way of looking at it :clapping: :laughing:
Now this is why I can't see the wood for the trees ;)

Same with me. I am so busy trying to see how it all fits in with the EYFS I have forgotten to just concentrate on providing the support required which I did without thinking about it pre-EYFS!

Just needed Sarah to give us all a reminder and terrific advice as always. I wonder if I can bribe her to come and live near me?;)