PDA

View Full Version : How do you let someone down gently???

Adiamond
11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Sorry, but I know this is going to be a long one :blush:
Ok, about a month after I registered I received a call from a mum wanting childcare for her 7 year old daughter for 2 hours after school on a Thursday including school pick up, I said I couldn't do it as it was a totally different school to where my son goes but she said that it can be done as she picks up her nephew from my sons school and makes it to her daughters school on time. I felt desperate for mindees so I agreed for her to come and see me, the first meeting mum came on her own she is lovely but she was questioning me about any children I have had with special needs? I said I haven't had any as I am newly registered, she then told me that her daughter is slightly autistic I said that is no problem whatsoever.
Anyway a few weeks later mum came back and brought D with her, she is lovely she seemed to really take to me. I had D for a couple of hours on my own last week and everything was fine and she is coming again in a week or so.

But here is my dilema, I got a call last week from a friend of my little boys mum asking me if I can have her 2 boys 2-3 nights a week after school + school hols same school as my son!!! 1 boy is 7 and the other is 4 going into reception.I said I didn't know if I will have the space for the 4 year old but would let her know this week.
Well after reading on here I rang Ofsted and the 4 year old will count in my 5-8's group as he will be in full time education and I do have those spaces available but only if I don't have the girl!!!!!!
The boys will be ALOT easier and be a better business decision.

Omg what am I going to do????
How do I go about letting this mum down? I feel awful :(

ps. Nothing has been signed and no money has been handed over.
pps. I hope this makes sense, sorry it is soooo long :blush: x x x

Hebs
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
i would email mum and explain that you've had a good think and that it is not possible to collect your own child and collect mindee due to the distance, that you may not always have a car available to do collections

Alibali
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I would say that after considering pick up from 2 schools you have assessed the situation and have decided that it will not be suitable as sometimes children are late out of school or you have to speak to a teacher about something after school and you would always be worried that you'd be late for the other one.

sweets
11-08-2009, 08:17 PM
i'd tell her that you did a dummy run of the school pick up and you didn't make it on time! or say that you only just did it but didn't want to risk getting stuck in traffic and being late at second school.

Pipsqueak
11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Biggest bit of advice - go with what your gut/heart/instincts are telling you (and I think you don't want to do this first enquiry) - don't get sucked into sob stories/convincing and pleading acts. If you don't want to do it - then don't.

I would also say that have done a couple of dummy runs and you really feel its not going to be possible and stick to your guns.