PDA

View Full Version : 3 days on 3 days off

twiggy
11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I put a post on a few weeks ago asking for advice on what to charge for a child who's mother works 3 days on and 3 days off. The child takes up a full time space for a maximum of 3 days. I have taken the advise and decided to charge a 1/2 retainer for the days she does not use and have written the following to the parents.

Your contract for E's childcare is now due to be reviewed.

From 1st September 2009 I will be charging a half retainer for the days E does not attend Monday to Friday. E.g. If E attends 2 days, I will charge ½ fee for 3 days and full fee for 2 days.

I have been forced to charge a retainer as I have to keep a full time space available for E for a maximum attendance of 3 days a week.

A new contract will follow in due course. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this matter.

Do you think this sounds o.k. I have increased my rate for all the other children from £3 to £3.20 but kept this child at £3. Don't want to seem greedy.

Tatjana
11-08-2009, 03:02 PM
It sounds fine, the only thing I would say is not to put 'you have been forced' as no-one is forcing you, it's your decision. Perhaps put something like 'I can see no alternative but to charge a retainer....'

Hope it goes well!

hth
xx

twiggy
11-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Many thanks for your advice, have just amended the letter as you suggested and put it in the child's bag. I hate doing things like this but i'm sure they would do the same if they were in my shoes.

Tatjana
11-08-2009, 08:59 PM
The money side of things can be tricky!

xx

ZoeAlli
11-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Letter sounded ok particularly with ammendment!
Hope all goes well with the letter!

twiggy
12-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks all for your help. Mum turned up this morning and said she will speak to tax credits, although she can't claim for childcare at the moment. She tried to make me feel bad by saying her bill of £400 would be nearly as much as she earns a month! (which I don't believe as she works 36hours a week. )
and I bet she earns a lot more an hour than the £3 I charge.

John
12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I have a child that as a week on and a week off so the parents were happy to pay the half fee retainer. Just explan to parent that you will have to charge as it would be hard to get another child to place the days your child is off.

John.