PDA

View Full Version : SEF ... is this behaviour normal?

Lainey Lou
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Hiya, I am due my first grading inspection v shortly (I registered last year but due to circumstances have only just started childminding). Anyway, I've made a start on my SEF, I've filled in bits and bobs (easyish bits) but when I get to the learning and development bit, my eyes start to glaze over and I just sit and stare at the screen with a gormless hazy expression, is this normal? Seriously I am really beginning to panic, it just seems like a minefield, I really don't know where to start ... I worked in an office for 20 years before registering as a childminder and now I feel like Ofsted expect me to be a childcare expert? Do you see where I am coming from? Any tips? xx :(

katickles
10-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Buy a copy of Sarah Nev's ebook:D

sweets
10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
or do what i did and don't do it! lol:laughing:

sarah707
10-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Totally normal behaviour!

It took me absolutely ages to write the e-book because I kept putting it off! :laughing:

The trick is to take it in bite sized chunks and if you feel you've already answered a question, say so and move on :D

harrysgirl
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
I highly recommend Sarah Nev's e-book too!!

I have just hit the 'submit' button of my SEF form after 5 long evenings working on it and if it hadn't been for Sarah's book for reference, giving me a nudge in the right direction and keeping me on track with my answers, I too would still be sitting glazed at it all.

THANK YOU SARAH!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Just hope and pray I've put enough in it to please the Inspector who's due at my door any day now.... :panic:

Ruth Saxelbye
11-08-2009, 02:22 PM
I used Sarah's ebook - couldnt have done it without her help, and I have 16 years experience as a childminder! I spent many hours staring at a blank screen, but managed to complete it eventually. It did take a couple of months for me to get it right, (I am a bit of a perfectionist!) I was very relieved when I hit the submit button - and Im sure it helped me to get my Outstanding grade.

MissTinkerbell
12-08-2009, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=harrysgirl;497239]I highly recommend Sarah Nev's e-book too!!

I have just hit the 'submit' button of my SEF form after 5 long evenings working on it and if it hadn't been for Sarah's book for reference, giving me a nudge in the right direction and keeping me on track with my answers, I too would still be sitting glazed at it all.

THANK YOU SARAH!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

QUOTE]

Can second this - without Sarah's book it would have been so hard and I was a teacher for 12 years!!!!

My inspector said mine was the best example of a SEF that she'd seen and its all thanks to Sarah's e-book - money well spent.

LouiseM2009
12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Just started "tryng" to complete the SEF and decided within minutes that i needed to come on here and look for help and advice.

needless to say sarah, the order for book 18 is in your inbox!:)

tashaleee
14-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Have to admit to that being totally normal behaviour :laughing:

Sat here doing mine today (have looked at it loads before, drawn a blank and put the forms away again lol) - and yep I gave in and bought Sarahs book even though I have been childminding for 9 years and was graded outstanding last time. The book was well worth the money and has made my life so much easier - well ive only completed the first section but so far so good.... :)

Lainey Lou
14-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks, I've still not made a start on it properly, its sooo involved. I'm going to buy Sarah's book but waiting for funds to clear in my Paypal account before I order ... aaarrrggg ... its taking ages, said it will clear on the 18th so I've got my fingers crossed that Ofsted don't ring until the week after next!! XX :)