PDA

View Full Version : anyone good at explaining ?

mabel
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I am thinking of apply for a job (bit nervous but ready for change)
I have ran my minding business for 15 years.
Have 10 children on my books, work full time but my own children are
all grown up and I kinda want my house and garden back.

the job request an NVQ2 in business studies or equivalent, I have not got this.
but after running a very successful childminding business for 15 years feel I do have the ability
but how do I convice an employer ??
can anyone help me put this into words
any help ? thanks

MissTinkerbell
10-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Something along the lines of...

Although I do not possess an NVQ2 in Business Studies I am willing to undertake this training although having run a successful childminding business for 15 years I feel that I have the necessary skills and experience that you are looking for.

Whilst running my own bussiness I was solely responsible for all of the administrative duties including tax returns; ordering and purchasing resources; writing and sending out invoices and following up any unpaid invoices; and general book keeping.

I have also had experience in promoting my business using various advertising strategies over the past 15 years.

Not sure what else you could put but I'm sure someone else will come along and add more.

I hope this helps.

CCJD
10-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I would look at the course detail for a nvq 2 in business studies (open universty has very comprehensive descriptions of what you will be studying) and link that in with what you can show you can already do. This way they will have no doubts about your full abilities.
I recently took the plunge as I too have decided I am ready after 10 yrs to have my home as my home . I was very honest in my application and said that some people may see childminding as a "soft job" but that I ran my business with the same professionalism that I had 10 years ago at the bank. This way I was Pre-empting their thoughts if they took a look and said "oh she's only a Childminder".
Lucky for me it got me an interview and there I could really sell myself. I start 7 sept!!!!!!!!

mabel
10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks
yes I am approaching it in another way by writing a list of all the skills I have had to have to run the business...its quite a lot isn't it !

Chimps Childminding
10-08-2009, 04:18 PM
No other advice really, just wanted to say, I know how you feel about getting your home back and good luck:thumbsup:

mabel
10-08-2009, 04:21 PM
by the way Congratulations
this job is literally in some offices 5 mins from my house, finish time is 5pm so I can walk home and be in a nice tidy house by 5.05pm

like now, I should have finished at 5pm but awaiting one more collection
this parent is continually late, I don't want the extra money I just want to finish !

georgie456
10-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Something along the lines of...

Although I do not possess an NVQ2 in Business Studies I am willing to undertake this training although having run a successful childminding business for 15 years I feel that I have the necessary skills and experience that you are looking for.

Whilst running my own bussiness I was solely responsible for all of the administrative duties including tax returns; ordering and purchasing resources; writing and sending out invoices and following up any unpaid invoices; and general book keeping.

I have also had experience in promoting my business using various advertising strategies over the past 15 years.

Not sure what else you could put but I'm sure someone else will come along and add more.

I hope this helps.

WOW - you are good!!! I'm coming to you when I need something written!!!

jeanybeany
10-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Good luck to you all, applying and starting new jobs.

I've only been minding for a few years and still have young children but have found myself looking for another job! Not sure what to do, as I like being at home but at the same time feel like I need my home back. The only thing is I still need to be at home for my lo's. Have seen a delivery job but the money is not so good but atleast when you've done your runs, your done and your house is your own again! Decisions.....................

margimum
10-08-2009, 05:19 PM
After being registered for about 10 years I thought exactly the same way.....
clean house, get rid of high chairs, buggies etc. and my youngest was ready for senior school.
I was offered a job in college as an NVQ assessor.
I absolutely hated it! :( :(
Every time I went into a nursery in my posh suit I wanted to get on the floor to play!
I stuck it for 6 months and came back to childminding:clapping: :clapping:
At least I tried and 8 years on I KNOW this is the job for me.
Good luck to you all with a change in career. :thumbsup:

CCJD
10-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I am very aware that the grass may be no greener - I can remember a time , years ago, out at work, when I used to think "I don't want to he here!" but 10 years on I am ready for a change and have got a job that I have been interested in for a long time. Am off to be a family support worker for a neighbouring boroughs child protection team - working with families where children are in need or in long term care placements - thanks to 10 years of working with families and a level 4 childcare qualification ( thanks to training I have received on this job and paid for by my borough ), I start in 4 weeks. I am not however giving up my registration or selling ALL my equipment until I have been in the job for a while - just to be safe. I don't think I will go back but it would be silly to burn that bridge right now .
Wish any others taking the plunge good luck.