PDA

View Full Version : OH DEAR tamiflu................

Hebs
10-08-2009, 01:11 PM
:panic: :angry: :panic: :angry:

this is why i never trust the government over health advice ;)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090810/tuk-tamiflu-harmful-to-children-dba1618.html

FussyElmo
10-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Now my friends doctor told her this - that the tamiflu side effects could be worse than the flu itself.....

I dont think we ever get the full truth just want they want us to know!!!!

But apparantley Im cynical!!!!

Hebs
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Now my friends doctor told her this - that the tamiflu side effects could be worse than the flu itself.....

I dont think we ever get the full truth just want they want us to know!!!!

But apparantley Im cynical!!!!

no you are 100% correct, too many mistruths have cost my son dearly, never again will i take the advice of a government advisor :thumbsup:

ORKSIE
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I heard about this on the news this morning!

zillervalley
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
dear me, thanks for that hebs
ziller

cher25
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't trust the government or doctor's. They are always contradicting themselves.
1 of dp's workmates was diagnosed with swine flu at the weekend, he had rang the nhs and they said it wasn't that. Went to docs on sat, and the doctor said for him to just keep taking ibruprofen and paracetamol as he had been doing. But he could have tamiflu if he wanted!

Blackhorse
10-08-2009, 03:49 PM
to be honest they have been saying this in austria all along.
nobody there gets tamiflu at all. it is not something that you can get through your health service. you would have to get it privately...
they have also been reporting for a while on the side effects of tamiflu on children in england..:-(

the best advice has been given to my mum by an austrian farmacist.

she said she wouldnt use tamiflu herself. She said best thing is to make sure you have enough vitamin c and iron so you dont catch anything in the first place but if you do..get it treated with normal flu medication (like keeping fever down etc) and to make sure you see a gp if you need to.
she also said as far as she has been told through her profession, the swine flu is not worse than any other flu...but of course there can be complications if people have health issues or dont get treated or get treated to late...

I think the media has a lot to answer for as well but I am seriously worried about the NHS as well..

being used to austrian healthcare standards I find the british one quite bad... but that is a whole other thread...

LOOPYLISA
10-08-2009, 03:55 PM
My hubby saw the doc last week (not for flu)

They were generally chatting and hubby asked what he thought about this flu?

The doc said in all his years practicing he had never seen all this palaver!!

He said he has only given out one dose of tamiflu and that was to a 75 yr old woman 'in case' to cover him :rolleyes:

My neighbours son has been given tamiflu, hes just got back from egypt, 'not feeling well' so he gets tamiflu given to him, saw him walking up the shop that day :panic: sorry when i had the flu i was in bed for 3 weeks !

louise
10-08-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm not suprised. My friends dd 15 months was given it luckily no problems but my other friend who is a nurse said she wouldn't give it to her dd.
My other friend took tamiflu and reacted very badly to it. She ended up in ICU!

margimum
10-08-2009, 07:43 PM
What about the proposal to vaccinate school age children before going back to school?
Not sure where I read this but it scares me:panic:
The vaccine has not been properly tested yet, so I don't think children are the best to test it on. Especially as they change their minds after a few weeks:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hebs
10-08-2009, 08:18 PM
What about the proposal to vaccinate school age children before going back to school?

not a cat in :censored: chance are they vaccinating ANY of my children for swine flu,

and vaccination gone wrong is why my son has mercury posioning :angry:

margimum
10-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Sorry to hit a sore point Hebs.
Why do I always feel the gov is trying to trick us all the time?
I feel so cynical and then something is 'leaked' which proves I was right to distrust them. Not being party political, cos all parties as bad :mad:
Hope your son will make a full recovery

margi x

Mollymop
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I heard this today as well and thought "oh, here we go again"

I thought the effects were mainly to do with the new swine flu vaccinations that were supposed to be going ahead soon, but I guess I was wrong.

If my kiddies had swine flu and became really really poorly I would give the them tamiflu no matter the "nightmares and nauesa side effects"

Swine flu is supposidly mild, milder than seasonal flu, so I would only give my child the tablet if I was really worried about their heath. If you are really worried I think that the side effects of the drug would outweigh the aches and pains and illness that comes with flu. "Proper" flu is very bad and I would hate to see my kids feeling as I did once, only once, in my life when I had flu.

what would you do if the child was really ill with swine flu? Send them to hospital and what would they do? They would give them Tamiful first, i guess, whether we give it to them at home or not.

As I think I have pointed out, i think it all depends on how unwell the child is

Scarey though, still x

Hebs
10-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Hope your son will make a full recovery

margi x

he will be affected for life :(

margimum
10-08-2009, 08:50 PM
So sorry Hebs.
Just read another post from you where you've had lots of trouble getting your babies:( :(
Bet you fight like a tiger for your kid(s?)

Hebs
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM
So sorry Hebs.
Just read another post from you where you've had lots of trouble getting your babies:( :(
Bet you fight like a tiger for your kid(s?)

:blush: :blush: :blush:

yeah, even had the old headmaster pinned up to the wall when my daughter was bullied for 2 years, suffered migrains with stress, and much to his disgust the education dept sided with me :o

Hebs
10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
If my kiddies had swine flu and became really really poorly I would give the them tamiflu no matter the "nightmares and nauesa side effects"

they've just said on the news that Tamiflu reduces the illness by 1 day, and DOESN'T reduce the effects of the infection nor does it stop the side effects

so

why give it??? :panic:

Pipsqueak
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
my mindee was given it because she had been in contact with a suspected case of SF (my mindee E they diagnosed as having it which his mum thinks he didn't have!!!) to - as the doctors told her mum prevent her getting SF.

me and mine won't be having this vaccination either.
I think all this brouhaha about SF is overblown, over/mis- diagnosed and hyped up tbh.

Blackhorse
11-08-2009, 06:38 AM
I dont think I would take tamiflu or let my dd have it.
I have heard to many GPs, nurses etc say they wouldnt take it themselves...and to be honest that made me wonder...

As far as I heard it isnt curing it, it isnt preventing side effects or complications but can reduce the time you have the flu by 1.5 days...that makes me wonder if any side effect is worth an additional 1.5 days..iyswim

what worries me the most I think is the fact that this will cast a big shadow of doubt in a lot of peoples minds over advice given on health issues...I mean how will the media, nhs etc react if we are facing a serious pandemic.(I know swine flu can have bad effects on some people but I guess no different to seasonal flu in that respect) and who will believe them...on the lines of the boy who cried wolf...?????

Blackhorse
11-08-2009, 07:00 AM
one more thing to add...

this is coming from austria as well...or the news and fears there...

there they say that when there was the fear of the avian flu a couple of years back they made all the tamiflu at a high cost..but never had to use it as the avian flu never amounted to the pandemic they had throught.
some now think that the swine flu is hyped up to get the tamifu sold before it goes past its sell by date to recoup some of the money they had spent making it...

I know that is pretty much consipiracy theory but it is what has been going through peoples minds and the news back home...

interesting I guess...

Mollymop
11-08-2009, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't be at all suprised Nicole!

Rach30
11-08-2009, 09:25 AM
one of my mindees has SF (ageD 2 ) and was given tamiflu. On the perscription label it gave the dose. When the parenst read the inclosed instructions it said for a child his weight should have half the dose that he had been prescribed. Had the parents not read the instructions (and many people wont) then they would have overdoesed there child. How much of an overdose would it take to kill a child ? it dosen't bear thinking about. They queried it with the doctor who said she would look into it as they had raised a good point. If me or my children get it we will not be taking tamiflu nor having any vactination. BTW the vacine has never been tested for adults only children. After MMR i NEVER trust the goverments health advice , only my instincts.

Hebs
11-08-2009, 10:59 AM
A mothers instinct is never wrong!

louise
11-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I forgot to mention in my earlier reply my bil gf works for Beechams all staff have had a vacine for SF if they wanted and they were all given an inhaler. When i asked about the inhaler as i hadnt heard about it she said that if she thinks she has sf she has to phone gp to see if she is to use the inhaler.

Ahh just done a google the inhaler seems to be being given to people who are pregnant