PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? or..........

Hebs
10-08-2009, 11:31 AM
do kids these days have no manners??

I was brought up to say please and thank you, not to disrespect an adult, and mum's word was final.

why do you think kids don't do these anymore??

fionamal
10-08-2009, 11:33 AM
I so know what you mean.

My 2 have been brought up to always remember their manners but some of the mindees are just terrible. No matter how hard i try to install the basics they just never seem to remember and its my biggest bug bear.

Cant stand ill mannered kids.

Pipsqueak
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
There are a lot of kids with no manners or respect - they aren't raised that way. Many of them have parents who think that the world owes them instead!:(

Thats not to say ALL kids are like that though - I have come across lots of polite, well mannered children!

uf353432
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
too many parents wanting to be their kids friends in my humble opinion.

Hebs
10-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I have brought my kids up to be as polite as possible, but i've noticed some are so rude it's unbelievable.

I try to instill manners into mindees but 5 mins laters it's back to the YOU WILL demands :panic:

even my 2 year old mindee refuses to say Ta (thank you) :(

Roseolivia
10-08-2009, 11:38 AM
too many parents wanting to be their kids friends in my humble opinion.

I agree and too many parents either feeling guilty about working or can't be bothered to discipline or correct their children.

julie w
10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I totally agree with you. It drives me mad. I thought it was just my mindees. They dont need to say please or thankyou at home and have no idea. I also hate it if I give them an ice lolly or chocolate as a treat, when they say they dont want it and want another one instead. I'd never dream of saying that to an adult when I was a child. I gave a mindee an easter egg and she said, i dont want that one i want another one, and her mother said nothing.:angry: You,ve got me on a roll now. I could go on this subject for pages. Still we can try with them. One parent thinks I'm posh because I expect manners.lol.

Gizmo
10-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I am always getting told that my kids have lovely manners, but some of my dds friends are terrible, and my mindee started last week not saying please and thank you by the end of the week she was like a robot everytime I gave her something
Doesnt cost anything to be polite:thumbsup:

sweets
10-08-2009, 11:42 AM
nearly all the children i know have generally good manners, yes they sometimes forget and sometimes the littlies are just to stubborn to say thankyou sometimes! i usually just let it go with them and just try to lead by example and they soon get over it.

katickles
10-08-2009, 11:52 AM
I am big on manners & drum it into my dd like I am a broken record!!

It frustrates me when children who are old enough & capable do not use them, like you i think its so rude.

LOOPYLISA
10-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Manners don't cost anything :thumbsup:

My dd has lovely manners thank goodness :thumbsup:

mummyof3
10-08-2009, 12:19 PM
My three children are all well mannered and do it without prompting. My mindees are awful they NEVER say thank you or please (I've now stopped handing them things until they do). My newest mindee (6yr) often tells me he needs a pee :eek: :eek: I told mum I do not wish him to use that word in my house I'd rather him say toilet or wee. Then mum announces have you had a pee before we go home - I GIVE UP!!!!! :rolleyes:

sweets
10-08-2009, 12:21 PM
My three children are all well mannered and do it without prompting. My mindees are awful they NEVER say thank you or please (I've now stopped handing them things until they do). My newest mindee (6yr) often tells me he needs a pee :eek: :eek: I told mum I do not wish him to use that word in my house I'd rather him say toilet or wee. Then mum announces have you had a pee before we go home - I GIVE UP!!!!! :rolleyes:

i'm sorry i know thats not funny really but it did make me laugh!:laughing:

LOOPYLISA
10-08-2009, 12:21 PM

I really hate that word too :angry:

Hebs
10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm disgusted by my 7 year old language :eek:

he thinks nothing of calling him mum a :censored: idiot, or a useless :censored:

and she never repremands him.

When i do overnights, he is in bed AND asleep by 9pm, yet at home he REFUSES to go to bed until mum does :panic:

I dread to think about the next generation :panic: :panic:

misst104
10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm disgusted by my 7 year old language :eek:

he thinks nothing of calling him mum a :censored: idiot, or a useless :censored:

and she never repremands him.

When i do overnights, he is in bed AND asleep by 9pm, yet at home he REFUSES to go to bed until mum does :panic:

I dread to think about the next generation :panic: :panic:

:eek: Thats appaling. i am in total agreement with you about manners being important. I would be horrifird if my children didn't say please and thank you. They are very polite boys but I do know what you mean. Very Sad that some people don't class this as important :(

xxx jo

ZoeAlli
10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
My children have been taught manners since they were very small and have been expected to use them since they could talk!!- sometimes they need a prompt but mostly are good.
I think manners are a mark of honour and respect!! We as children were taught to respect our elders and honour her parents!
I think alot goes back to the lack of discipline given to children!!

Tatjana
10-08-2009, 01:14 PM
My children have been taught manners since they were very small and have been expected to use them since they could talk!!- sometimes they need a prompt but mostly are good.
I think manners are a mark of honour and respect!! We as children were taught to respect our elders and honour her parents!
I think alot goes back to the lack of discipline given to children!!

My dh and I very strict with our children and always tell them to say plese and thank you. They do this in public, however they don't always to us, I just don't get it, we're always telling them they must say please and thank you as we do to them.

They also ignore house rules, eg jumping on the sofa, we are consistent in our methods but still they take the mick. I really don't understand it. They are currently on time out for jumping on the sofa again. :angry: :angry:

Just saying, maybe some of these parents have the same problem?

xx

Tatjana
10-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Oh and whilst i'm ranting, I find when i'm telling my children off when we're out I often get someone saying 'they're children' :angry: YES, they are my children and i will tell them off when it's necessary, so butt out, grrrrrr :angry:

xx

Hebs
10-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Oh and whilst i'm ranting, I find when i'm telling my children off when we're out I often get someone saying 'they're children' :angry: YES, they are my children and i will tell them off when it's necessary, so butt out, grrrrrr :angry:

xx

my 7 year old mindee copies me like a parrot, even tries to tell my almost 13 year old daughter off :mad:

LittleAcorns
10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I completely agree with you, a lot of children dont have manners and are aloud to get away with all sorts, being aloud to run riot!!

Im very strict when it comes to behaviour and manners (Im also very stubborn and dont give in easy :p )

Its so funny when I get on a bus, you can picture it, me, double buggy, 1 walking toddler, my dd, and 2 some times 4 after schoolers...the eyes start to roll, everyone presumes the kids are going to be monsters....nope not my lot, they would get the wrath of weeze :laughing: and know Im not afraid to "have words" in a public place. As I get off the bus again you can see the amazement that I managed to control half a creche LOL loads of people talk to me now, we must make an impression.

FizzysFriends
10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I totally agree with you. Some children are raised to think they have a god given right to whatever they want when they want it!!!

My DD does occasionally need reminding (usually when shes excited) but shes basically polite and well mannered.

kellywestie
10-08-2009, 03:32 PM
No it's not just you - what is scary is how many have replied saying that the children they look after, or friends of their children, have no manners! It really is one of my bug bears.

It also annoys me when they don't ask to leave the table after meals and just walk away leaving plates and cups behind!! (Not that they get away with it - back they come and do it the proper way!!)

Daddy Day Care
10-08-2009, 03:42 PM
My daughter has lovley manners at home, she always says please and thnak you, when she sits down for her dinner she must thnak me a dozen times by the times shes finished, it gets to the stage where it annoys me.

Yet when were out and about, if anyone does anything nice for her I always have to tlel her to say please or thank you. She knows shes suppose to, and I always make her say it.

Just dont understand it how she so polite at home and towards me but not others.

Gareth
xx

ORKSIE
10-08-2009, 04:02 PM
My daughter has lovley manners at home, she always says please and thnak you, when she sits down for her dinner she must thnak me a dozen times by the times shes finished, it gets to the stage where it annoys me.

Yet when were out and about, if anyone does anything nice for her I always have to tlel her to say please or thank you. She knows shes suppose to, and I always make her say it.

Just dont understand it how she so polite at home and towards me but not others.

Gareth
xx

Maybe she's shy.:)

ajs
10-08-2009, 04:43 PM

xx

this is the only thing my mother and i argue over, the way she tells me how to discipline my children
considering we used to get the coat hanger to us if we didn't toe the line it never ceases to amaze me when she tells me off for being too hard on them

mummyroysof3
10-08-2009, 04:48 PM
i get my mil talking over me when im trying to jack off when he does something wrong it drives me mad and he then ignores me :angry:

charlotte x

Lainey Lou
10-08-2009, 05:50 PM
so know what you mean, one thing that used to totally grate on me was before I became a childminder I used to travel into Manchester every day on the bus and the amount of kids (when sat next to you) that used to just stand up when they wanted to get off and not say EXCUSE ME, OMG it used to drive me mad. It happened so many times that in the end I wouldn't move and then say 'do you want to get off, oh right I didn't hear you say excuse me?' he he :laughing:

Minstrel
11-08-2009, 08:39 PM
i get my mil talking over me when im trying to jack off

sorry but your typo made me snigger like a immature teenager :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sweets
11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
sorry but your typo made me snigger like a immature teenager :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i noticed that too! but didn't like to comment lol:laughing: :laughing:

Mari
11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
I find that if you keep at it from day one it will sink in eventually, and even if they drop their p's and q's when they leave, they pick them back up again when they return to me, it';s like they know that they won't get it if they dont ask nicely.

I have had most trouble from older children though, some are quite rude and disrespectful and have really made me feel annoyed, it's the backchat in the school yard that really annoys me, they make me feel so inadequate in front of other parents, I had one just stomp off and I was left standing there with 3 under 5 and two older ones and really wanting to shout and scream at this 10 year old, but I didn't, I just walked until I caught up with him, told him I didnt like his behaviour, then gave his mother notice when she collected him!!!! (It hadn't been the first time) but I don;'t know why older children feel the need to try to show me up.

nannymcflea
11-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I find that if you keep at it from day one it will sink in eventually, and even if they drop their p's and q's when they leave, they pick them back up again when they return to me, it';s like they know that they won't get it if they dont ask nicely.

I have had most trouble from older children though, some are quite rude and disrespectful and have really made me feel annoyed, it's the backchat in the school yard that really annoys me, they make me feel so inadequate in front of other parents, I had one just stomp off and I was left standing there with 3 under 5 and two older ones and really wanting to shout and scream at this 10 year old, but I didn't, I just walked until I caught up with him, told him I didnt like his behaviour, then gave his mother notice when she collected him!!!! (It hadn't been the first time) but I don;'t know why older children feel the need to try to show me up.

I'm afraid thats just 10 year olds! They are called tweenagers now!
Though mine wouldn't dare do it to anyone else apart from me!:laughing: They are polite to everyone else but let off steam with me. Though I'd rather have it that way.

mummyroysof3
12-08-2009, 06:14 AM

oops :laughing:

charlotte x

Bitsy Beans
12-08-2009, 06:39 AM
My mindee is 3 and my son is nearly 4. Neither of them have grasped the concept of saying please automatically yet so I find myself endlessly repreating "what's the magic word?".................