PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone set up their own playgroup?

Ben10mad
10-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi, ive been talking to hubby and hes gave me a crazy idea to set up my own playgroup.
does anyone run their own play group, if so could you let me know how you go about doing it, ie, where to look to set up, will i have to pay ect, will i have to provide toys, games ect.

Any reply would be much apprechiated.
Thanx :)

helenlc
10-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Do you mean a play group or parent toddler group?

I have set up a toddler group but its run at the childrens centre so all toys, equipment are already there and they have their own insurance etc, so all I really do is set up the toys and activities and be on hand.

ZoeAlli
10-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I have set up and run a mother and toddler group. We ran it through the church. We used a room/ village hall which already had toys that we could share or use. All those that were leaders had to be CRB checked, we had to have our own insurance, the hall we used had insurance only for the building. We also had to sign an agreement with them for the hire!
I have worked in playgroups before but as yet have not set up my own, however have thought about it!
Could your local Families Information Service help?

:)

fionamal
10-08-2009, 08:57 AM
I have and its more hassle than being a childminder.

If your planning on having the playgroup open for 2 hours or more per day then you have to have it registered with Care Commission/Ofsted etc.

I had to hire a hall, have regsitration, insurances, toys and equipment. We lasted for 2 years and then had to give it all up as it was costing too much to keep it running. Its a lot of hard work but was great fun but wouldnt do it again to be honest.

I dont want to put you off but probably a mother and toddler group would be easier as no registration is required.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
10-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I run a mother and toddler group with two other childminders and we have to pay for the hire of the hall and all the insurance we were thinking of packing it up around 18 months ago as it was costing us money but now it has picked up :clapping: and we are really busy but it is hard work. We do try to get people to help out as it can be difficult when you are trying to look after the children, make drinks and sort out the craft table. I must say I do enjoy and it is fun but it is very very hard work, you really need to do it with a few good friends or childminding friends.

Good luck let us know what you decide.

xx

Sarahbelle
10-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I set up a childminding support group in January. We have rooms at the local Childrens Centre which are free and the toys and art and craft supplies are there already. We are also covered by the centre's insurance so no outlay there either. We run a very relaxed session with free play, craft table, snack and finish with music and singing time.