PDA

View Full Version : My Baby has hurt her arm:(

katickles
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
My dd (2 years) has hurt her arm :( She was sat at the end of our bed this morning & has toppled off the end, flipping over on her landing.

She was crying(obviously) & said her arm hurt. Checked her & theres now swelling or cuts or brusing but she was saying it hurt. We have kept an eye on her & she's been using it but its obviously hurting her like any weight baring she's crying & wimpering:( :(

Theres still now bruising that we can see & it doesn'y feel swollen, but when we tried to get her to straighten it, thats when it hurts.

If its the same tomorrow do you think a trip to a&e or would you just put it down to brusing???

sweets
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
a trip to a+e def. my friends daughter broke her arm in this way, she carried on using it but in pain! at this they forget that it hurts to do something and will carry on using it even tho there was no swelling or bruising. she only had to have a plaster cast on for 2 weeks
Hope she's ok

LOOPYLISA
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I would pop her up there just in case, but thats just me, she may have a small break, hope shes feeling better soon x

Spangles
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I would give the gp's a ring in the morning and see if the nurse could take a look.

Hope she is able to sleep okay with it and that it feels better by morning.

xx

(Just thought - are you sure that it hurts her really as my son (and I did this too when I was little apparently) really acts like something hurts even to the point of refusing to use it or move it when actually it's perfectly fine. I think it's just the fear that it will hurt if it's touched/moved? Once he didn't walk for 2 days after he fell down on one of his knees. I knew it was okay because when he forgot about it he used his leg but when he remembered he was totally unable to walk and just moaned! He actually does this quite often and it's a little embarrassing! )

katickles
09-08-2009, 08:01 PM
I would give the gp's a ring in the morning and see if the nurse could take a look.

Hope she is able to sleep okay with it and that it feels better by morning.

xx

(Just thought - are you sure that it hurts her really as my son (and I did this too when I was little apparently) really acts like something hurts even to the point of refusing to use it or move it when actually it's perfectly fine. I think it's just the fear that it will hurt if it's touched/moved? Once he didn't walk for 2 days after he fell down on one of his knees. I knew it was okay because when he forgot about it he used his leg but when he remembered he was totally unable to walk and just moaned! He actually does this quite often and it's a little embarrassing! )

She's sleeping fine:)

She does actually seem to be in pain as she's not been aware of us watching her. She also seems to almost be lifting her arm like as if it were in a sling kind of position, as if its helping???

I think it is generally hurting, hubby says it will because it will be bruised inside. I just hate the thought that it could be fractured or something & we haven't had her checked over! Hubby also says that if it were fractured then she would be crying in pain, which I guess is right. She is tired today so she's maybe more emotional.

sweets
09-08-2009, 08:02 PM
if she's not asleep now then i would be tempted to take her to a=e tonight as it will prob be quieter than a monday morn! if she's sleeping ok tho i would wait.

LOOPYLISA
09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
if she's not asleep now then i would be tempted to take her to a=e tonight as it will prob be quieter than a monday morn! if she's sleeping ok tho i would wait.

I was gonna say pop her down now, thats just me though, im a worry pot :thumbsup:

Spangles
09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh bless her heart.

I would do whatever you think is best and whatever you are most comfortable with. You could phone NHS Direct I suppose and see what they say, they're bound to tell you to go to A&E.

I hope that she is okay.

xxx

katickles
09-08-2009, 08:14 PM
She's fast asleep - another thing hubby says that if she was in pain or discomfort then she wouldn't be sleeping.

Think i'll see how she is in the morning & if its still hurting go from there

sweets
09-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Let us know how she is in the morn:)

miffy
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd definitely take her to a&e, tonight if she wakes in pain or tomorrow, and get it x-rayed - she might have a fracture.

My youngest son got a greenstick fracture whilst skiing one year, fortunately it was the last day and he didn't ski again but hubby brought him all the way home and then we got him to a&e and x-ray confirmed it - it wasn't swollen and he wasn't crying in pain either but you could tell from the way he was holding it, it wasn't right. Better safe than sorry

Hope she's OK
Miffy xx

TheBTeam
09-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Just to let you know that it doesn't always leave a child crying in pain when something is broken my son has had a broken elbow and thumb and not cried with either, just moving and holding it slightly funny.

ORKSIE
09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Bless her heart, hopre she's ok, let us know:)

LOOPYLISA
09-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Let us know, i hope she sleeps through :thumbsup:

katickles
10-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Well I ended up taking her to A&E last night. She woke & was really unsettled & complaining her arm was hurting (along with her tummy, toes & finger mind:rolleyes: ), so i just took her up.

Oh the joys of Blackpool Victoria Hospital!!:eek:

Anyway - they were really good with us, I think because of the time & her age they actually rushed us through a bit quicker. She had her x-rays & then we had to wait for what felt like ever for the results of them. The nurse felt sorry for us as Megan was clearly knackered, explained that there was no free rooms for a doctor to see us, she'd spoken to him & got him to look over the x-rays & luckily it didn't look like there was a break. Apparently due to all the little bones & parts in childrens elbows, it can be hard to tell. He thought she may have "pulled Elbow" & so she has to go back to the fracture clinic today at 11:40. She's not had much sleep at all, but she seems ok today. She woke at 8:30 & so I am just going to try & keep her out of mischief & as still as possible for a two year old!

peanuts
10-08-2009, 08:28 AM
a trip to a+e to get it checked out would be a good idea.

LOOPYLISA
10-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Good luck today :thumbsup:

helenlc
10-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Hope all goes well this morning.

When my son broke his arm, we went via a & e and then the fracture clinic. They were really good.

Hope all goes well this morning and let us know how she gets on.

Andrea08
10-08-2009, 08:38 AM
good luck hope all works out ok let us know how megan is xx

sweets
10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
aah poor little mite! bit of a bad night then.
this is exactly what happened to my friends daughter at the same age. they weren't sure if it was broke or not but decided to put a cast on, she only had it on for 2 weeks though and they manage suprisingly well with them! they soon adapt.
Gives us an update later.
I'm near the vic too and know what its like! lol

Blaze
10-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Aghhh bless her - hope it's goes well at the clinic today.x

sweets
10-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi how did you get on at the clinic?

katickles
10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I am sat here waiting to find out:( Hubby has taken her coz I have mindee today & then Imogen to look after aswell, so no way was I going there with 3 of them!

Mindee is lost - keeps looking for her bless her, saying that both her & my baby dd are fast asleep! Until the wirlwind that is Megan arrives home that is!

I think they will be there a while as the nurse told me last night that everyone with fractures & brakes from Friday, Saturday & Sunday will be at the clinic today - great!

Thanks for asking though:)

ORKSIE
10-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Hope all is well sending a hug for you all.

LOOPYLISA
10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Hope shes ok, keep us posted x

Toothfairy
10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
When my daughter was about 2, she was sat on the coffee table watching TV and eating an ice pop. Some how she toppled forwards and because she didn't want to drop her ice pop, she landed on her elbow.

She only cried for a few seconds, she could wiggle her fingers and move her arm so I thought she was ok.

After about an hour she began to cry again, her hand and fingers had swollen up and she was in pain when she tried to move her arm.

When she was xrayed at A&E she had fractured her elbow and dislocated it too!

I felt realy bad.

katickles
10-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Well she is now the proud owner of her new fashion must have, a bright pink plaster cast!!!:eek:

They are still unsure if there is a break or fracture, saying that there are so many bones & bones behind that that they can see on the xrays - but because of the pain she's in when its touched on & around the elbow, they said she's done something wether it be a break, fracture, pulled or sprain & that the best thing to do is have a cast on for a couple of weeks so that she rests it:(

I feel a terrible mummy now!! Fancy not taking her till last night. I wouldn't mind, but I was thinking if that were a minded child I bet I would have taken them, to be on the safe side, but because she's my own & she could move everything & that I thought it was ok:blush:

LOOPYLISA
10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Ah don't be silly, don't blame yourself, i said last night i would of taken her if it were me, but it would of been my hubby, im scared to death of hospitals :D

Glad its sorted x

sweets
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
aah bless! don't feel bad about it, my friend waited 2 days before taking her DD! you just can't tell at this age how bad they are hurt and can't go to a+e for every little thing, it could have just been bruised.
is she plastered up to her armpit? my friends daughter had damaged her wrist but they still put a full cast on because docs said at this age and because there arms are so skinny they just take the casts off themselves!! so have to have a full one on.
Just wait till she is whacking you with it, it hurts! lol

ORKSIE
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh bless her.
Dont feel guilty we have all been in this boat.
Glad they took it seriously tho and are getting it sorted:thumbsup:
Hope she sleeps better tonight:)

Spangles
11-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Don't feel bad, I probably would have done exactly the same as you.

It's so hard to tell if they've really hurt themselves or they are just afraid of using the hurt area.

Bet she's proud of her pink plastercast!

Hope it gets better quickly.

xx

nannymcflea
11-08-2009, 11:53 AM
When you said she was holding it in a sling position I was going to suggest pulled elbow as this is what my daughter would do when she did hers.(frequently)

It is very painful and requires manipulation but once it's back in it sorted.

I hope she's ok and pain free soon. Though why they didn't pop it back in there and then if it is pulled elbow is a mystery!

big hugs to your little one.

just read your last posting..don't know how I missed it!

Even bigger hugs coming your way.

sweets
11-08-2009, 12:23 PM
How is your DD managing with the cast?

mertonparker
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
hi, dont beat yourself up about it, these things happen.

I allowed my then 11 year son to walk on his fractured and chipped ankle for a whole 2 weeks :blush: He could rotate it round and wriggle all his toes and to be honest it didnt swell that much so i suspected he'd just sprained it. whats ironic is he actually did it in the hospital visiting a neighbour. After about a week the bruising started to appear and well it did look nasty then but again he was walking on it abeit with a slight limp it was only when the school rang to say go collect him as he couldnt participate in games because of it that he then complained it really hurt him... so off we went to A & E and had it confirmed :eek:
Yes I did feel very bad but well i am not a nurse and do not have xray eyes (even if i do keep telling the children every now and again :laughing: ) and if the children seem fine then we all follow our instincts.

Hope your daughter is feeling better and enjoying her bright pink cast.
mertonparker.x