PDA

View Full Version : Myths about resources

Heaven Scent
22-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Hi This is my first new Thread finally worked out how to do it.

I was looking on the HSE website yesterday and noticed that they had a list of myths that are going around about H&S issues in various areas and there was an article there about it being a myth that we can no longer use cardboard rolls from toilet tissue or empty egg cartons. I heard these myths while on courses last year and it turns out to be scare mongering again so people go ahead use egg cartons for your spring daffodils and toilet roll insides for musical instruments etc etc.

Happy crafting,

Love Celine

miffy
22-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Yes Celine you are right about some of the myths surrounding items we could use for crafts

Some of these have been posted before but it's good to let new members know

Thankyou

Miffy xx

oakie dokie
22-02-2008, 07:11 AM
omg so its just a myth! now im mythed! i was told this a least 3 years ago and never used them.:eek:

hazelx

crazybones
22-02-2008, 07:15 AM
I didnt know it was a myth either. Well the little stack in upstairs bathroom that hubby and sons leave because they never put them in the bin can be used then. I am actually leaving them just to see how long it takes before someone realises that they dont actualy climb into the bin by themselves.

Annie x

angeldelight
22-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah we had a lot about this in the old forum

I have always used them anyway to be honest and will continue to do so

Thanks for that

Angel xx

ajs
22-02-2008, 08:15 AM
to be honest i've always used them but thought i was being naughty

i like your thinking annie
it's exactly the same in our house except they leave them on the holder and put the new loo roll on the floor
we even bought handle type holders so the clean roll just slots on and they still leave the clean roll on the floor

LittleMissSparkles
22-02-2008, 08:17 AM
typical men that happens in my house too !!!

I was told kitchen rolls were ok but not toilet rolls for hygiene purposes....... another mixed message from the heavens above xxx

sarah707
22-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Here's the archive -

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/

There are some great pictures as well! :D

angeldelight
22-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I love the conker one

Mind you the way I play conkers its prob best that everyone wears goggles my aim is terrible haha

xx

Twinkles
22-02-2008, 10:30 AM
to be honest i've always used them but thought i was being naughty

i like your thinking annie
it's exactly the same in our house except they leave them on the holder and put the new loo roll on the floor
we even bought handle type holders so the clean roll just slots on and they still leave the clean roll on the floor

Snap - the same thing happens in my house. I have a rare and wonderful tallent 'cos I'm the only one in my house who can change the loo roll - and one of my lot has a degree in engineering!!

berkschick
22-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Naughty me then!

I had NO idea about any of that!

hello kitty
22-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I can't believe that for the last 7 years I have thrown away egg boxes and toilet rolls tubes and used my expensive card to make stuff instead.

Unbelievable :rolleyes:

Sarah.

Mollymop
22-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I never knew this, thanks for the in sight.
I have been collecting egg boxes and loo roll tubes for weeks, (I'm getting a bit too many I must add):D

Tily Bud
22-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info. i will start using them again now x

Pauline
25-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Somewhere on the forum is a link to research done by a university into whether egg boxes were a salmonella risk - they found that they were not at all risky so at least it has been properly checked out so we can feel safe.

elaineg
25-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Egg boxes to make daffodils, never thought of that. thanks.

love Elaine XXX

jaz
02-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Thank you so much for this info, like others n this forum, I had been throwing them away - now they can be used :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

BTW did you know you are not allowed to refer to 'junk modeling' as 'junk modeling' any more, but 'recyled modeling' :rolleyes:

J
x

sarah707
02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
BTW did you know you are not allowed to refer to 'junk modeling' as 'junk modeling' any more, but 'recyled modeling' :rolleyes:
J
x

Oh for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

flora
02-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Thank you so much for this info, like others n this forum, I had been throwing them away - now they can be used :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

J
x

we call it "box modelling" round here. Probably not technically correct as not all items used are boxes :rolleyes: :D

Heaven Scent
02-03-2008, 05:59 PM
"Junk Modelling thing"

Bet thats an urban myth just like the fact that we couldn't use certain junk.

I cant make those box things with quotes from other peoples posts!!!!!!!!!!!

Celine

ajs
02-03-2008, 06:05 PM
hi celine

on an post there is a box that says quote click on that and then continue to type your message when you submit the quote wil be in a box on your reply

Annie_T
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
my kids school wont let us take toilet rolls in to them for arts and crafts due to germs etc that could be on them - being from a loo.

i understand it really but does get bit silly at time with what they ont take or will.

i cant see a problem really but them i guess the school dont want to risk it.

Tatia
03-03-2008, 03:51 PM
We can't donate toilet rolls or egg cartons to our school or playgroup either for junk..*ahem*cough* I mean, recycled modelling.

Myth busers (except we didn't get to blow anything up)!

miffy
04-03-2008, 07:39 AM

J
x

Says who? The world gets sillier and sillier

Miffy xx