PDA

View Full Version : Inpection officers

Debbieanne
08-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to ask you all, are you as confused about ofsted inspectors as i am.
It seems to me, they all have different ideals of what makes what grades.

Now I have friends who are childminders,and they all have different grades, mainly 1 and 2s. now 1 in particular has just recently been graded 1, after years of 2s and 3s which suprises me as i've always thought he way of working to be questionable. for instance she changes all her nappies on her lap, puts the babies and toddlers to sleep up the garden in a lie down buggy in all weathers apart from foggy days, she dosn't cook luches they bring lunch boxes, she tells the children to go and stand by the back door if they are miss behaving and dosn't allow the children to sit on her sofa they have to sit on the floor, and thats just things i've noticed...well correct me if im wrong but i am astounded this way of working is graded a 1.
The children overall seem happy enough, if a little robotised.:(

What dos every one else think ??

margimum
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
It all depends on what the inspector sees on the day and also the sef form.
This minder may be able to 'talk the talk' and have super paperwork.
Not all outstanding childminders imho give outstanding care.
However, we must not be judgemental about others, just get on doing what we do best.
I don't think getting grade 1's will fill her places or enable her to charge more so why worry?

huggableshelly
09-08-2009, 09:54 AM
some inspectors seem to pop in for an hour then leave so its easy to bluff an hour especially if paperwork is perfect.

mine was 5 hours long, in a way I resent the 5 hours but at the same time she saw exactly what happens within my setting and how I work which gave me my good. i would be gutted if my inspection was only an hour long but 3 hours would have been enough.. so it depends on how long the inspector stays and what they look at.

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree with others comments, it just depends on what is seen on the day. Remember that the criteria for the current inspections are different to the past and it seems to be mainly on the EYFS and its implementation and Safeguarding Children/

As for putting to children asleep outside there is nothing wrong with this as long as the garden is secure and the HV promote it. Mine slept in the snow on my decking, snug, warm and getting fresh air.

MissTinkerbell
10-08-2009, 04:49 PM
IAs for putting to children asleep outside there is nothing wrong with this as long as the garden is secure and the HV promote it. Mine slept in the snow on my decking, snug, warm and getting fresh air.

Same here with mine - I was praised by my HV and they never suffered a single sniffle that winter, but since then they've had a cold most winters.

As others have said its what the inspector sees on the day which can be very different from what happens most of the time. Being a teacher I've seen that schools do just the same - pull out all the stops for the 2 days that the inspectors are in and then go back to 'normal' after they have gone.

nannymcflea
14-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I agree with the comment on "talking the talk". Those with the gift of the gab can sometimes, though not always, talk their way through an inspection.

I find the inconsistency of it all very frustrating, I know a minder who deserves an outstanding and got a good.Yet others with less EYFS knowledge have been graded outstanding.

ORKSIE
14-08-2009, 06:10 PM
This subject is very close to my heart.
So dont me started.
All I will say is i agree with the comments made.

miffy
14-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I agree with the comment on "talking the talk". Those with the gift of the gab can sometimes, though not always, talk their way through an inspection.

I find the inconsistency of it all very frustrating, I know a minder who deserves an outstanding and got a good.Yet others with less EYFS knowledge have been graded outstanding.

I agree with this.

Despite everything it still usually comes down to one person's subjective judgement

Miffy xx

SYLVIA
14-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi, I dont have a of of faith in inspectors . I know of 4 minders in my area, none of which I feel have outstanding settings all received this grading, from the same inspector! And I have heard recently that a minder graded satisfactory after 23 years of receiving good, then had a personal visit from ofsted bearing an outstanding certificate, offering her their congratulations! It 's a joke. I happy with good because I know that all the parents I work with tell me I'm outstanding to them. That's whats important to me

ZoeAlli
14-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I agree with the comments already made. How can Ofsted expect us to get the EYFS right (iykwim) when they are so inconsistent with their inspection gradings!!?!!
I also put children in the garden (which is completely enclosed) for sleeptime, all weathers and always have done. So long as they are suitably dressed and wrapped then they should be fine- fresh air helps them sleep better. I can put mindee for sleep inside and will only sleep 1hour but if outside can sleep up to 3!!!!:)

zillervalley
14-08-2009, 08:43 PM
i agree with most comments, I also have put mindees outside as my garden is enclosed two, in fact one parent asked me to put her child outside to sleep in the day

well as reguards the inspecters and gradings I AM NOT GOING TO COMMENT

ZILLER

Debbieanne
15-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Thank you for all your interesting comments.

For me the confussion goes on, i recently met another grade 1 childminder who dosn't do any planning.

For years i have never judged a film or book by what the critics say, as i believe everyones deliberation contrary to mine.

As for putting children to sleep in the garden,( i omitted to say, up the garden out of ear shot) i myself put my own children, when babies, in the garden to sleep, on the patio near the house, next to an open door or window, so i could hear them should anything happen or they wake.

surely there is a child protection issue here, should the children be out of ear shot. or am i too protective?