PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

helenlc
08-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I have been approached by an ex-colleague of my DH about having his grand daughter when mum (J) goes back to college in September. She will be going 3 days a week and college/care to learn will pay for me.

However, he also said that sometimes J's mum might want to have the baby for a day week, depending on her work patterns. The other nan might want her too 1 day. But neither grandparent are able to do all 3 days as they work (and also not prepared to do all 3 with no pay). Basically they are not able &/or willing to committ to doing the 3 days every week.

So of course I would apply for the 3 days pay but how would it stand with Nan(s) having her a day or two sometimes? In theory I should get paid as they have booked the space but are choosing not to use it.

But what if it becomes a situation where I only end up with her 1 day a week and I am getting paid for 3? Should I then tell college that I am not having her as much as I am booked in to do? My friend used to do Care to Learn and they just used to send her a form every month asking if she was still caring for the child (but didnt actually ask what hours and days she had attended that month).

Part of me just think Kerching - get paid for not a lot! But then part of me feels I would be being a fraud by claiming money for work I was not doing.

Just wondering what to do and what other people would do................

Tinglesnark
08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Tbh i wouldn't do it simply because you know them....i have had so many problems working for/with friends/family/aquaintances that regardless of anything els i would just say that i hadnt the space...perhaps you could recommend someone else?

as my granny always says
"if in doubt, do nowt"

don't agree to it if you feel uncomfortable helen

x

:D

RachelE
08-08-2009, 08:03 PM
I too care for child through care to learn.

You say that 'sometimes' the Nannas may want the LO. - this may not actually happen every week.

You are being paid to keep the space available.

I really wouldnt worry too much about it.

I dont have my LO everyday - study days, dad/nanna wanting her for the day. But the money keeps the place open.

HTH,
Good Luck, Rachel x

helenlc
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I only know the grandad really and dont know the mum of the baby and either nan, so its not too personal as such. That part doesnt bother me.

I have worked for friends before and wouldnt do it again but like I say, I dont actually know the people involved ie mum and dad of baby at all.

Tinglesnark
08-08-2009, 08:16 PM
oh right...well what does your heart say?

hello kitty
08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
As Rachel says they are paying to keep the space which will be needed and do not want you to reallocate it to another child. Don't worry it's all above board. :)

Tatjana
08-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Go for it...you would NOT be commiting fraud under these circumstances. :)

xx

helenlc
08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
oh right...well what does your heart say?

My heart says Yes, I do want to do it. Mum is only 16 and baby will be 8 weeks (:eek: ). I want to help Mum as I think its great she is going to college and getting herself more qualifications as she doesnt want to live on benfits. I feel confident having such a young baby and want to do it for them as I know Grandad and it means baby wont be with a complete stranger.

I just wanted to check that I wouldnt get in trouble if baby didn't come to me occassionally.

Thank you - yet again everyone has made me feel better!!:clapping: lol

Chimps Childminding
08-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I would have thought that if they are paying you to keep a space open for the times the Nan(s) can't/won't cover, then you should get the 3 days as you can't fill the space!