PDA

View Full Version : Apple butter

Tatia
08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I loooove apple butter! I've never seen it sold over here so I wonder if any of you have ever tasted it? It's very easy though a bit long to make your own.

Start with apples. I always use up the apples that have gone off a bit on the fruit bowl, not rotten but not fit to eat? But you can use apples from shop. I'll give you a small batch recipe but you can double it if need be.

2 pounds whole apples
2 cups apple juice
1 cup sugar (I mix granulated sugar and brown sugar, about half and half but using all granulated is fine too)
heaping tsp of ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
sprinkle of ginger and nutmeg

Core, peel and quarter the apples. Chuck in a heavy saucepan with the juice and cook til soft, bout an hour. Food process this until smooth and then return to saucepan and gently simmer for 1/2 hour. Add the sugar and spices and cook until desired thickness, about 45 minutes or so? Make sure to stir regularly throughout the entire process. Allow to cool and it will thicken nicely. It is fantastic on toast or bread and butter and to die for on scones. It is very sweet so if you prefer, start with tart cooking apples instead of the kind you buy for eating.

This will keep in the fridge for a week or 2 in a container with a lid.

Cammie Doodle
08-08-2009, 07:45 PM
My sister and I love this, never seen it here nor seen a recipe, guess who is going to have to try and make some Yummy Yummy :thumbsup:

sweets
08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
sounds nice. don't suppuse you know a recipe for cinnamon butter do you? i had cinnamon toast in a cafe once and have tried to make it but its never quite right.

Tatia
08-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh good! I hope you enjoy it, June. It's pretty straight forward but if you have any questions, just ask.

I'm waiting for mine to cool right now and then having some with toast!

Tatia
08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Is it just butter with cinnamon and sugar mixed into it? I make something similar but just make toast, spread with butter and then sprinkle my own concoction of cinnamon and sugar onto it. That is total heaven!