PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite books?

Mouse
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Following on from my thread asking for reading suggestions, what are your favourite books - as a child and as an adult?

My favourite childhood reads were:

the Mallory Towers books (I soooo wanted to go to boarding school :laughing: )

The Hardy Boys books

I Am David

Dear Daddy Longlegs

As an adult my favourite books are:

Papillon

Banco

The Eagle Has Landed

The Queen & I

There aren't many books that I re-read, but all those I have.

LOOPYLISA
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Following on from my thread asking for reading suggestions, what are your favourite books - as a child and as an adult?

My favourite childhood reads were:

the Mallory Towers books (I soooo wanted to go to boarding school :laughing: )

The Hardy Boys books

I Am David

Dear Daddy Longlegs

As an adult my favourite books are:

Papillon

Banco

The Eagle Has Landed

The Queen & I

There aren't many books that I re-read, but all those I have.

I remember mallory towers :thumbsup: :laughing:

FussyElmo
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
As a child :-

The wierdstone of bridgeagarmen(sp) by Alan Garner.

The Chalet School books. (I also wanted to go to boarding schoo)

Anything Enid Blyton.

As an adult:-

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

Anything by Karin Slaughter.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

The Womens Room by Marilyn French.:)

zillervalley
07-08-2009, 09:04 PM
hi dont read much,, read my guiding msg esch month and thats about it

ziller

Daddy Day Care
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Ohhhhhhhh I loved the hardy boys, my love of books started with the famous five, then the secret seven once I thoguht i was to old for those i moved on to the ahrdy boys.

No fav books now, very rare i read one, but one i hate with a passion is little red riding hood cus dd always wants it read to her :( anytihng but that

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I quite enjoy autobiographies - Graham Nortons was good... my dh read it and enjoyed it too :laughing: or anything by Danielle Stelle.

Quite enjoy The Hungry Caterpillar / The Enormous Turnip / Little Red Hen and anything by Juila Donaldson:clapping:

Angela234
07-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I loved these books as a child

Malory towers

Mysteries (five find outers) Enid Blyton books

Haven't read a book for years except childminding books

nannymcflea
08-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Enid Blyton was my absolute fave as a kid.

Now my first choice would have to be Lord of the Rings.

Gizmo
08-08-2009, 01:30 PM
As a kid I loved the Faraway Tree Stories by Enid Blyton I got them for my dd and sat and read it again myself and still enjoyed them.

As an adult I will read anything love chick lit and the Twilight books of course and Harry Potter, could never get into Lord of the Rings tho (please dont shout at me) lol

It's a small world
08-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Each Peach Pear Plum....

Am I supposed to saying adult books.... sorry I just love kids books :blush:

Spangles
08-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I loved the Narnia books and I only read them a few years back! Could not put them down!

I have also loved every single James Patterson book that I've ever read. He's fantastic!

nannymcflea
08-08-2009, 04:49 PM
As a kid I loved the Faraway Tree Stories by Enid Blyton I got them for my dd and sat and read it again myself and still enjoyed them.

As an adult I will read anything love chick lit and the Twilight books of course and Harry Potter, could never get into Lord of the Rings tho (please dont shout at me) lol

I love HP too but LOTR would be my first choice.

I remember the Faraway tree, it was the Wishing Tree series wasn't it? My eldest isn't a great reader, hoping my youngest will love these ones in a couple of years.

louise
08-08-2009, 05:19 PM
As a kid i really got into the babysitters club, point horror and Roald Dahl. I can't wait to start reading them to ds but i think he may loss interest at the moment as he is only 5. Last week we read a book over 3 days but i think Roald Dahl will be to long at the mo and it has no pics. I have been buying ds my old faves when i see them like burglar bill and not now bernard.

Now i really like Jodi Picoult and Torey Hayden. I have read all of those at the moment and i'm going to start reading some classics i think for a change. Must admit never read Harry Potter oR Lord of the rings as they don't interest me.

Bazza
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I quite enjoy autobiographies - Graham Nortons was good... my dh read it and enjoyed it too :laughing: or anything by Danielle Stelle.

Quite enjoy The Hungry Caterpillar / The Enormous Turnip / Little Red Hen and anything by Juila Donaldson:clapping:

Wow. That takes me back to my school days! The Hungry Catapillar is my all time favourite childrens book. So much so that i bought it for my daughter along with the soft toy catapillar. She loves it, mostly because she can put her fingers through the holes in the book!

Otherwise, books i have enjoyed reading in the past:

Most Stephen King
Most James Herbert
Most John Wyndham (Loved Day of the Triffids and The Kraken Wakes)

I have a copy of Moby Dick i keep meaning to read when i get round to it.

Currently reading:

CSS for Dummies
Dreamweaver for Dummies