PDA

View Full Version : So what do you do if Daily Dairy never gets returned?

Bitsy Beans
07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I appreciate that a daily diary is a good way of showing Ofsted your communication etc with parents. I've done one for my single mindee and it's not being returned.
Are Ofsted happy for us to keep things verbal between parents and ourselves. I always take time before and after a session to update my parents as to how the day has been, what foods been eaten etc.

mumof4
07-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Ive had this problem and short of giving new diaries for parents to forget again theres not much you can do about it. I always make sure ive verbally said whats in the diary in case a parent doesnt have time to read it. Luckily all my parents now are great and send it back but rarely write in it themsevles! Ofsted like to see a two way communication thing going but you can only do your best:D

singlewiththree
07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
I used to do sheets when they didn't return the daily diary and then I gave up on that and just don't do anything if they don't send it they obviously can't be bothered and I just tell them verbally.

Bitsy Beans
07-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks. I doubt my parents are really that interested and since I tell them verbally anyway its more a vehicle for proving to Ofsted that I have a 2 way communication with parents.
Nowt much I can do if they aren't interested in a) reading it or b) returning it.

Rach30
07-08-2009, 09:07 PM
My daily diary is a small folder with inserts that i print myself. I fill one in everyday and then if the diary is here then i put it in otherwise i just give them the loose sheet.

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
My mindees mum has a quick glance through and then leaves it here. I also tell her what mindee has done that day (shes a friend) she's not into all this paperwork just glad he';s got someone to play with (my son).

tulip0803
08-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I have had the same problem with daily diaries and now do a sheet. I carbon copy (remember cardon paper:laughing: ) one for myself and put it into the child's file and send the original home.

FussyElmo
08-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I told my mindee it was her special dairy book to show mummy and daddy what she did at T's.

Dont forget its been forgotten once and she makes sure it gets taken home.

I use the sheets from here with the characters on and made a few more and ask mindee which one she wants:)

Winnie
08-08-2009, 06:11 PM
I copy the the sheets before i stick them into a A5 book. One parent did lose their book but i just started another and pasted the copied ones in. Of course if they lost 2 i'd probably just carry on with the sheets and forget about pasting them into another book- i want every parent to have sheets- its up to them if they read them.

SandCastles
09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I told my mindee it was her special dairy book to show mummy and daddy what she did at T's.

Dont forget its been forgotten once and she makes sure it gets taken home.

I use the sheets from here with the characters on and made a few more and ask mindee which one she wants:)

Ohh - this caught my attention, what other characters have you done? I was trying to make my own the other night but gave up as nothing would go into the correct place and all the bubbles overlapped.
Would you share an new example we me?

You can pm me if you prefer.

Thanks

Pudding Girl
09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I switched to daily sheets then after a week was told to not bother they weren't reading them. My inspector last week said as long as we are providing plenty of opportunities for participation/feedback/two way comms then that is fine, we cannot force the parents to participate if they have no wish to!

sarah707
09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I switched to daily sheets then after a week was told to not bother they weren't reading them. My inspector last week said as long as we are providing plenty of opportunities for participation/feedback/two way comms then that is fine, we cannot force the parents to participate if they have no wish to!

Sounds like Scotland have sensible inspectors!!

I know there are some childminders in England who do not write a diary for the children and this has not affected their grade.

It does depend on the inspector though... and how confident you are that during your inspection you will be able to show how else you ensure parent communication :D

Sally G
09-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I have had the same problem with daily diaries and now do a sheet. I carbon copy (remember cardon paper:laughing: ) one for myself and put it into the child's file and send the original home.

thats a fab idea