PDA

View Full Version : slides

mushpea
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
so you let yours climb up the slide?
I dont due to the potential accidents and an incident today proved my point.
at the park my son was waiting at the top of the slide to come down, another child decided to climb up got nearly to the top then my son decides to come down , normaly he waits till the kids are off the slide but he was fed up with this kid cause he was constantly climbing up it, anyway he knocked the kid of the slide, i instantly went over and made him appologise to the child and parent as did i, i then helped the parent check the child or bumps and bruises which there wernt neither of us saw how he fell so may not of been head first, but she kept saying to the child 'do you feel il or funny , r u ok, do you want to lay down,' talk about pampering, if it were my child i would have said oh dear up you get lets have a look at your bump then cuddled, rub better (apply first aid if needed) then encourage to go and play but keep a close eye but no this parent, major pampering then she anonced that she was taking him to hospital even thoug the kid got up and walked away quite happily. at this point i walked away and refused to get involved further, I cant belive the fuss she made, in my oppinion he shouldnt have been climbing up the slide in the first place which is why i wonded what every one else thought.

Pipsqueak
07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
yes I let mind climb up the slide the wrong way but not if people are waiting to come down.

silly woman (at the park) - she just wanted to make you feel bad, think I would have said to her that if she;d been watching her child properly then she could have stopped him from climbing up the slide where other people were waiting to come down:(

pinklady
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Blimey talk about OTT!!:panic: I'm sure A&E would be delighted to have someone waste their time when there is clearly nothing wrong??? Don't know how you managed to bite your tongue.

Anyway, I never let children climb up the slide at the park BUT I do at home. I know that's probably a bit confusing but I've more control over what happens in my own garden. It annoys me when other children climb up the slide with their muddy shoes and jump in front of my children that have just spent the time scaling the slide in the proper way.

nikki13
07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
same here ok in my garden but not in park

Alibali
07-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Mine are never allowed to climb up the slide either. My dd slipped and fell off when she was 2 doing this ( first time I had left her with my Mum when I went down south for a wedding:( ) Anyway she broke her arm. I was so traumatised because I wasn't there that I have major panic attacks if I see kids doing this, have been known to have a rant or two in the park and we don't have a large slide in our garden.

miffy
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Not when it's busy with other children I don't but if there's only us there then yes, I'd let mine try and climb up. Think it's a natural thing for them to want to try out.

Bet the lady had a very long wait in A&E if she took her child there :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

mushpea
07-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Bet the lady had a very long wait in A&E if she took her child there :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

oh i do hope so (not for her kids sake though), as for biting my tounge, any other day i proabaly wouldnt have done but today i was so chilled out cause only had my two and two mindees who had been great all day not only that i am off on my hols tommoro :D so was in a completley chilled state all day. kept waiting for her to appear round the corner with some great big 6ft 15stone brute of a husband:eek: but she didnt thank goodness:phew:

atmkids
07-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Children climbing up slides is one of my pet hates and I don't let mine do it. I can often be heard at the park bellowing UP THE LADDER AND DOWN THE SLIDE :blush: (slight exaggeration) :laughing:

huggableshelly
07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Children climbing up slides is one of my pet hates and I don't let mine do it. I can often be heard at the park bellowing UP THE LADDER AND DOWN THE SLIDE :blush: (slight exaggeration) :laughing:

same here though if i am supervising in my garden I do allow them to go up the wrong way as it helps with their co-odination balance and confidence.

newandlearning
08-08-2009, 07:38 AM
I don't let mine go up slides the slide way either .. partially because once one of my mindees starts doing this they all want to and then no one can slide down it and partially because of the potential accident risk which can sometimes happen even when you think everyone is good at climbing..

This lady sounds like she was trying to make you feel guilty.. I think you did the best thing walking away.. over time I have realised that sometimes its okay to not enter into certain conversations and this sounds like one of them..

That was very kind of you to help her as much as you did and I wonder if she really went to hospital. :rolleyes: ...
xx

helenlc
08-08-2009, 08:43 AM
UP THE LADDER AND DOWN THE SLIDE

This is me!!!:blush:

At the park definitely and in soft play as they come down the big slide so fast.

I do do it at home as well - only because I have a big slide and dont want the little ones (especially new 14 month old!:eek: ) attempting to do the same.

nannymcflea
08-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes I do:blush: BUT only at my own home(and then only sensibly)... I think this is one of the risks I can allow them to take. My own girls the other day were up and down it at home with a watering can, sliding everywhere (no mindees).

I don't allow it at the park as it's not fair on everyone else trying to go down.

As for the woman taking her son to A&E !!!!!!