PDA

View Full Version : Childminders doing free care

singlewiththree
07-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I have just read an advert in my local paper that in my local surestart area there is a drop in/leave your child event for parents to leave their children with qualified childminders for free to do activities so they can have a break. I just wondered how this would work. I'm assuming that surestart must be paying the childminders to do the work?

Rubybubbles
07-08-2009, 01:11 PM
:panic: what about all the paperwork?? why would you just leave your child without knowing someone:panic:

Mouse
07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Phone up & ask!

Our childminding group was once asked to provide childcare at the local SureStart, where we held a weekly meeting. I didn't take part, partly because I had other commitments, but mainly because no one seemed to know how it would work with numbers, insurance, paperwork etc.

Some of them did do it - they had more children than they should have done, had no contact details (though the parents were all still in the building). They didn't even know the names of some of the children. They also provided lunch, but had no details of allergies etc :panic: They got paid a fair amount for doing it, but EarlyYears put a stop to it after a few weeks.
This was at least a couple of years ago now, so hopefully it's all a lot more organised now.

Helen79
07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
If they're all within their numbers then it sounds like a good idea. Not sure on the paperwork side though, who is responsible for insurance etc in case of an accident?

When dd was little, our sure start had family volunteers, who would pop round to help out, give mum a 5min break etc sounds like a similar scheme but with cm instead.
It sounds similar to a creche in a shopping/leisure centre

The Juggler
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I was going to say the same. If it's being run as a creche then assume that the CC would pay the childminders and insurance would be under CC and their on premises creche facility.

I wouldn't do it for free - unless just to get some experience under my belt as a newbie.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I would ring and ask.

My only thought is that Surestart are paying the childminders and therefore a re responsible for all paperwork and they can do this as long as it is only for 2 hours at a time.

peabo_84
07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Surely registered childminders are registered to do childminding from a specific address. i.e. I am registered for my home address.

Therefore they would not be classed as registered childminders in this instance as they are not registered to mind on these premises.

peabo_84