PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Inspection after just 3 weeks of working

Manda L
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi All,
i wanted to share my Oftsed story with you.
I was called just 2 weeks into commencing work by an Inspector to arrange my first graded visit. I informed her that even though i had been registered since Nov 08 i had only just taken on my first child, and could the visit be postponed.. No -each new childminder has to be graded within the first 6 months of registration.
She also told me that as i'd only been working 2 weeks and only looked after one child i would only get Satisfactory. This i did not want to hear and got me worried. So i phoned my local Early years team, which tried to get to the bottom of that comment.:(
In the meantime i just got on with it, filled my SEF and she arrived the 2nd day into my 4th week. I had one 8 month old boy.
The visit was good and she was here for 5 hours, which funnily enough flew by, but guess what at the end of that i only got Satisfactory.
I told her that i was quite upset by this and that i was doing a good job, which she agreed with.
She understood my frustration, but as i only looked after one child and dealt with one set of parents she could not give me a different grade, but would write the report favourably.:(
This she did, but with the support of my early years team and other childminders i appealled against the grade, as this would be with me for 3 years.
I wrote a very detailed and constructive objection letter, taking each point and highlighting the contradictions.
Well all you new childminders out there.... it proves to stand up for yourself and have confidence in what you do, because the upgraded my result to Good.:clapping:
How fantastic is that. I also made a suggestion, which as been passed onto the early years director.
"I understood why each new childminder has to graded within the first 6 months of registration, but surely it should be within the first 6 months of working, as i took my time getting all my qualifications first and my house ready, before i started advertising vacancies."

Good news all round... :laughing:

nannymcflea
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Well done to you to stand up for what you knew to be right.:clapping:

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I currently have one little boy at the moment 2 days a week. He's then going down to 1 day in October. Hoping to have my friends little boy in Novemeber (5mths at the moment). Also have my own little boy at home 2yr. I am doing a leraning journal /EYFS/Obs on my mindee and also on my son then I have 2 to show Ofsted.Plus if no children that day will still have my lo . Hopefully I will have another child then can work wth 2 (hopefully using my lo in calculations counts as they are included in my registration numbers so should be!!!!)

Well done you. I think its bad that your grade is affected because youonly have one child and have only been actually working for a few weeks.
I'm dreading Ofsted coming...although Xmas is a good theme/topic,,lol

Congratulations on being string and standing your ground though....:clapping: :clapping:

MissTinkerbell
07-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Oh well done on getting it overturned. I only had 1 child on my first graded inspection but it was never mentioned about only getting a satisfactory (I'd been minding 8 weeks and got a good).

Manda L
07-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I currently have one little boy at the moment 2 days a week. He's then going down to 1 day in October. Hoping to have my friends little boy in Novemeber (5mths at the moment). Also have my own little boy at home 2yr. I am doing a leraning journal /EYFS/Obs on my mindee and also on my son then I have 2 to show Ofsted.Plus if no children that day will still have my lo . Hopefully I will have another child then can work wth 2 (hopefully using my lo in calculations counts as they are included in my registration numbers so should be!!!!)

Well done you. I think its bad that your grade is affected because youonly have one child and have only been actually working for a few weeks.
I'm dreading Ofsted coming...although Xmas is a good theme/topic,,lol

Congratulations on being string and standing your ground though....:clapping: :clapping:

Hi K,
dont dread them coming, the inspector was really nice.
I have been informed that what i was told by her was incorrect.
There's no secret to inspections - just be prepared, the SEF really helped.
M x

devoncm
15-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Havent read all posts yet as wanted to reply first, a cm in our got inspected with only one child and got outstanding, I dont understand how you can be graded just satisfactory when you are actually working, i got this grade only due to not having children at the time, can you not ring ofsted and see if this is fair? im not sure it is right

Read to end of post now:blush: congrats on your good grade:clapping:

ORKSIE
15-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Well done you!!!!:clapping:

mummyroysof3
15-08-2009, 07:39 AM
hi, ive been registered since last september but due to having a baby im not taking on mindees till at least after november and ofsted have been fine with that, they should not be telling you what your grade will be before even coming to see you thats not fair:angry:

glad you challenged them though and congratulations on your good:thumbsup:

charlotte x

gegele
15-08-2009, 07:54 AM
well done:clapping: :clapping:

sarah707
15-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Congratulations for having the decision overturned.

It is not acceptable for inspectors to get away with making sweeping statements like that.

However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a satisfactory grade.

A lot of childminders I know are very pleased with satisfactory as it means they are achieving to an extremely high standard.

:D

Debbieanne
16-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Well done you for getting your grade changed.

I personally I have no faith in ofsted..they remind me of the csa, and they were rubbish...left arm dosnt know what the right arm is doing.
Official body my :censored:
I've seen more competant chimps.

miffy
16-08-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm really pleased you got your good.

I don't understand why the fact that you only looked after one child and worked with one set of parents meant you could only get a satisfactory grade.

Miffy xx

Tatjana
20-08-2009, 05:54 PM
How utterly ridiculous, well done to your for fighting your corner and winning:thumbsup:

xx

Monkey1
20-08-2009, 06:57 PM
well done! :clapping: :clapping:

Allie
10-09-2009, 06:21 PM
So glad you got upgraded, Ofsted aren't always right they just think they are!

Allie