PDA

View Full Version : What would you do - filling places

Louise_Oaktree
07-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I always seem to do this - I get so concerned when I have a vacancy that I will struggle to fill them that I jump at every opportunity and then end up letting someone down :(

I have a child booked in from Nov Mon-Wed - paid Deposit and signed contract. Lovely family and baby 10 months old.

I then have a child booked in from Sept Wed-Fri - paid Deposit but no contract yet (took it away and still not dropped it off)

Yesterday I had an enquiry for 5 days :clapping: and although parent will pay me in full only needs 1 in 4 Fridays :D I panicked about the Nov one falling through (was originally 5 days reduced to 3) and the Sept one being part time hours so only £57 per week for 3 days :blush: and I now have too many mindees booked in :eek:

I have been worried about the Sept one as there have been no forms posted back and I have signed nothing so am I ok to just explain and send her deposit back or do I need to give notice?

I'm so rubbish at this :blush:

Please tell me I'm not a horrible person - I feel like I have acted selfishly :(

nannymcflea
07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I guess you are saying you don't have space for 3 under 5's? Do you have a little one of your own?

If a parents has signed and paid then it might be seen as bad form to terminate before starting.

Will these children only cross over on a Wednesday? If so I'd email/phone OFSTED and ask for a variation for that day.

hope I've read it right.

The Juggler
07-08-2009, 01:49 PM
call both original sets of parents and ask them to confirm they still want to go ahead.

Tell mrs September she needs to get contract back pronto as you have had another enquiry and its full-time and you don't want to lose out if she's changed her mind. I think as you've given her a contract it would be a little upsetting that you gave her place away without asking her where it is first.

If she has changed her mind, then you can take on the nearly full-timer (might be nice to have fridays off most weeks!)

If mrs Sept wants the space and you're up for it see what the cross-over is and apply for variation if you want to and have enough buggy space)

Aren't you in demand!

Louise_Oaktree
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
The problem is in my area there are CM's with spaces and one of them is my support CM and has had a vacancy for 6 months. This worries me all the time and when children plan to leave I have always had new ones before they have finished. Parents just seem to like me - and I have tons more resources than a lot of the other CM's in my area.

I only have 2 spaces because of my son who is nearly 4.

Mrs September has an enrollment form but we haven't done contracts because she couldn't find time to come and do it but she has left a deposit. I still have no word about start date or confirmed hours but the last time we spoke she said she works it out at £57 which for 3 days is a bit low :o .

Mrs November has today confirmed no change - she has signed contract and paid Deposit :D .

New mum came today with LO and confirmed she wanted the place!

I know I should say no and stick with 2 part timers but recently my circumstances have changed and I need the money.

Other CM's have said take on newby and Mrs September until Mrs November starts but I don't think it is fair to start Mrs September if I know I am going to finish her in Nov. My instinct is saying let her down gently now while she still has time to arrange an alternative but I'm worried about where I stand legally.

I could ask for variation but I doubt it would be granted for new kids. And would need triple buggy :panic:

The Juggler
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
The problem is in my area there are CM's with spaces and one of them is my support CM and has had a vacancy for 6 months. This worries me all the time and when children plan to leave I have always had new ones before they have finished. Parents just seem to like me - and I have tons more resources than a lot of the other CM's in my area.

THAT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE FAB!

SORRY TO SHOUT IN CAPS BUT HAVEN'T' WORKED OUT HOW TO DO COLOURS!

Mrs September has an enrollment form but we haven't done contracts because she couldn't find time to come and do it but she has left a deposit. I still have no word about start date or confirmed hours but the last time we spoke she said she works it out at £57 which for 3 days is a bit low :o .

YOU WORK OUT WHAT IT SHOULD BE AND TELL HER, DON'T LET HER TELL YOU. WORK IT OUT, CALL HER BACK, TELL HER TO GET ROUND AND SIGN AND THIS IS HOW MUCH IT IS (IN A PARENT FRIENDLY WAY OF COURSE:o )

Mrs November has today confirmed no change - she has signed contract and paid Deposit :D .

New mum came today with LO and confirmed she wanted the place!

CHASE UP MRS SEPT TODAY AND THEN DECIDE WHAT TO TELL NEW MUM

I know I should say no and stick with 2 part timers but recently my circumstances have changed and I need the money.

Other CM's have said take on newby and Mrs September until Mrs November starts but I don't think it is fair to start Mrs September if I know I am going to finish her in Nov. My instinct is saying let her down gently now while she still has time to arrange an alternative but I'm worried about where I stand legally.

IF YOU DON'T WANT MRS SEPT THEN DON'T TAKE HER ON. YOU CAN'T TAKE HER ON AND FINISH SO SOON, THAT WOULDN'T BE FAIR YOU'RE RIGHT. MAYBE RING HER BACK SAYING £57 TOO LOW, THIS IS WHAT YOU'VE WORKED IT OUT TO BE AND TELL HER YOUR TERMS. TRY TO PUT HER OFF MAYBE WITH HIGHER FEE?? I WOULD TAKE THE NOVEMBER AND NEWBIE BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO APPEAR TO HAVE JUST CHANGED YOUR MIND TO MRS SEPT AS THAT WOULD SEEM A LITTLE UNPROFESSIONAL.

YOU DON'T WANT TO RUIN YOUR REPUTATION LOCALLY IF SEPT MUM IS UPSET WITH YOU, WHEN YOU'VE WORKED SO HARD TO GAIN IT

I could ask for variation but I doubt it would be granted for new kids. And would need triple buggy :panic:

I WOULDN'T DO IT EITHER SO UNDERSTAND.

Sort out Mrs Septmber and then take it from there.