PDA

View Full Version : Accounts listings for meals / snacks etc

Spangles
21-02-2008, 08:18 PM
I went to a business paperwork / accounts meeting for childminders the other evening and we were told that under no circumstances are you supposed to enter rounded up or ball park figures down on your accounts for food and drinks that mindees have from you.

We were told that you absolutely MUST put on the exact amounts using a receipt from your shopping as back up and divided to show food quantities used for yourself and for mindees.

I thought I would put this on here as I'm sure I've read before that some people just put a general average figure down. Apparently, according to the NCMA speakers, this is not acceptable to the tax office should you be inspected.

?????

deeb66
21-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for that Lorri

Because i do not seperate the kids food from ours and we all can eat what is in the house I usually take a percentage of my shopping bill and claim that.

Obviously the percentage I use depends on how many kids I have at that time.

sarah707
21-02-2008, 08:27 PM
:laughing: The tax office have told me at a number of meetings over the years exactly the opposite... they don't need food bills, never have, never will... they are perfectly happy with a rounded amount!

They say just do an estimate and work it out from there...

When will these people make up their minds and leave us alone to get on with our jobs? :angry:

Spangles
21-02-2008, 08:29 PM
I know, it makes me so confused. I just don't know who to believe anymore.

flora
21-02-2008, 08:37 PM
:laughing: The tax office have told me at a number of meetings over the years exactly the opposite... they don't need food bills, never have, never will... they are perfectly happy with a rounded amount!

When will these people make up their minds and leave us alone to get on with our jobs? :angry:

I've been told the same. I keep all my tesco delivery notes just in case they try and be awkward all the same. Some times you don't know whether you are coming or going with all this do you. We have to deal with DEFRA too and a bigger bunch of muppets you could not find anywhere. They really do make OFTSED look capable............:ROFL1:

sarah707
21-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I just had a thought!

If you don't have to keep receipts for under £10 and no child portion meal would be over £10 (I would hope!) then what's the point in them saying you have to work out meals to the penny - how on earth are they ever going to check!?! :rolleyes:

LittleMissSparkles
21-02-2008, 08:45 PM

my accountant has told me this too Sarah x

Spangles
21-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, that's what I think but they absolutely insisted that this was the case. Doesn't bother me because I don't provide meals and I don't bother to put down snacks as they don't cost much at all. Actually, I guess I should as it all adds up doesn't it!

Oh, I'm going to get a cup of tea and watch Big Bro USA!

berkschick
21-02-2008, 08:49 PM

This is what I was told in December on my course thingy by the tax office!

Monkey1
21-02-2008, 08:53 PM
I claim 1.40 for a meal and 70p per child per day for snacks and drinks in that day

crazybones
21-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I claim 1.40 for a meal and 70p per child per day for snacks and drinks in that day

Oh I am cheap mine is 1.00 and 50p. :laughing: That must be what hubby means then ..........
Annie x

sarah707
21-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Oh I am cheap mine is 1.00 and 50p. :laughing: That must be what hubby means then ..........
Annie x

Ouch! i'd belt him for that if I were you! :laughing:

Heaven Scent
22-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I've been told on three occasions to work out an average but to keep all food receipts to prove that my average is reasonable if they want to query it they can plough throuh all my receipts especially the faded ones that I have never been told by them that I need to photo copy - If that is what makes them tick well leave them to it I say. All my shopping goes in one basket and is paid for at once and the mindees eat what we eat like it or not. Everything is cooked from scratch as far as possible and I've had no complaints from any so far.

Tatia
24-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't claim per child. I use my grocery bill and highlight what I use for mindees plus a 1/4 of the expense of things like toilet roll, washing up liquid and such. The total for this week (just finished it) is £37.70. I find this way easier than itemizing per child because my husband does my accounts on the computer and we just enter the weekly total and throw the receipt in a big pocket folder.