PDA

View Full Version : just returned home from hospital

littlepixies
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
hello ladies...

god what a night mare! my son has had a funny cough and problems breathing when we went to doctors they refered him to hospital as his tempreture was off scale and he was really struggling to breath!
all the nurses freaked when we arrived saying he had swine flu and they all put on funny masks and gowns like in a alien movie! then decided he had Croup... inflamation of the voice box which can lead to death if not seen too :(

he was given steriods and a chest xray and we stayed in the ward... his oxygen level was sooo low they said if it dropped any more he would have to go on the oxygen.
more steriods werew given and more obs eventually his awful sounding cough stopped and so did his course breathing and were home! now i just have to keep an eye and make sure it dont come back!!!! :(

Pipsqueak
07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
omgoodness, what a scary time for you all.
hope young man is on the mend now, hugs xxx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Oh my goodness poor you and your son, hope he is feeling better.

It's a small world
07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Hope he gets better soon :group hug:

georgie456
07-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Blimey that sounds like a nightmare. I hope he is ok and you are recovering from the experience. My DD had to go in for something similar a couple of years ago and it is very scary.
Fingers crossed it was a one off visit x

deeb66
07-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Oh my goodness - that must have been really scary.

Glad to hear you are back home.......hope he gets better soon and hope you ok.

Dee
xx

Willowdancer
07-08-2009, 09:46 AM
That sounds so scary :(

I hope you are both recovering from the experience now.

:group hug:

Ali
xxx

LOOPYLISA
07-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Glad hes feling a bit better, take care x

angeldelight
07-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Sorry to hear that

Glad to here he has improved

Hope you are all ok

Angel xx

emler
07-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Oh what a fright for you both. Glad to hear he's on the mend now though

nannymcflea
07-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Croup is nasty enough when it's not serious, that must have been really scary.

Glad he's on the mend.

madasahatter
07-08-2009, 02:18 PM
I know exactly what you've been through as my son has suffered with croup from being approx 1 year old and had to be admitted to hospital several times. We were told that he would outgrow it as his throat and tubes into his lungs grew and expanded (probably by the time he was 5ish). He is 12 now and still gets it occasionally!
The thing to remember about croup is that it is actually a side effect of a cold/viral infection (just like a temperature or runny nose), whereby the airways become narrower and breathing more difficult (hence the wheezing and seal like cough). Usually, unless it becomes very bad, it can be eased by a steamy atmosphere. My son now only gets croup when he has a cold and the weather is particularly dry (especially cold and dry). If his cold coincides with wet, damp weather he is fine. When he gets croup he takes his duvet into the bathroom, we set the shower going so the room gets very steamy and he goes to sleep on the bathroom floor (luckily our bathroom is reasonably roomy).
Last year when he had croup several times within a couple of months he was prescribed with an inhaler as the doctor thought that he might also have sports related asthma. I don't think he has asthma at all, but the inhaler did help when he got a cold.

chewy sweets
07-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Croup can be so scary! My lo had it when he was 3 months old! Luckily he was never hospitalised. Steam is supposed to be really good so boild the kettle loads and get him to breath it in. Good excuse to drink lots of tea! :laughing:

SimplyLucy
07-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Glad your son is doing better now.

My son suffers badly with coup too. His started when he was 10 months old, fightened the life out of me as we were on holiday and had no idea where the hospital was, plus I was 7 months pregnant!

Callum is 10 and a half now and still gets regular attacks. He's had a few spells in hospital with it to be put on a steriod drip, usually when the raspy breathing doesn't let up in the day time.

I remember once the GP sent him into Exeter hospital and they had to send an ambulance to Plymouth and back on blues and twos to get the steriods for him (they only had out of date ones in Exeter :panic: ) was the longest 45 minutes of my life. Still to this day don't know why they didn't stick Callum in the abulance to give them to him quicker!

I use this steamer http://www.vicks.com/products/vaporizers It looks like the base of a parasol, you fill it with water and the water gets drawn into the unit and heated to steam. The water in the base stays cold so only a tiny bit it heated at once making it safer.

My son knows how to set it up and switch it on himself now! Just a warning though, it will peel the wallpaper if left on too long, as we found out once!

madasahatter
07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I forgot about the vaporiser. We use one of these then DS has a cold HERE (http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Electric-Vaporiser_5071/) and it seems to help alleviate his croup when he gets it. The refill pads contain menthol and peppermint which help open the airways. We also use a facial steamer during the day (gives the bathroom time to dry out).

miffy
07-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Hope your ds is soon feeling better

Miffy xx

zillervalley
07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
ah bless hope he is feeling better soon

ziller

Blaze
08-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Sending get well soon wishes & hugs for you! I use a steamer too.:thumbsup:

newandlearning
08-08-2009, 07:04 AM
hope he's feeling a lot better today hun..
that must of been scary for you .. sending you a :group hug: xx

FizzysFriends
08-08-2009, 07:16 AM
How is your son now?

helenlc
08-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Hope is feeling better today.

My son had to be taken into hospital when he was 3 as he was having trouble breathing but that was due to his tonsils. He was put on a drip for fluids and they were monitoring his oxygen levels.

It was a very scary time, so I know you feel.

Best wishes to you all

ORKSIE
08-08-2009, 08:57 AM
My DS used to get croup when he was little, it is very scary for the child and parent. Hope he's on the mend, poor little chap.:)