PDA

View Full Version : Photographs as evidence

mjw
21-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Just reading my march issue of professional childcare and groaned when I read that it is now not good practice to put photos in observations!
"current practce regarding children's rights and issues of confidentiality is that photographs and videos should not be made" taken from a letter by Sheila Riddall-Leech
I admire this lady and have met her.....but why are we being encouraged to take photos all the time if this is the current train of thought?!:panic:

deeb66
21-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Mary

You have got to be joking :rolleyes:

I really wish they would make up their minds and not keep moving the goal posts all the time!

maybe something we can ask on Saturday at EYFS training?

mjw
21-02-2008, 06:27 PM
It will probably be new to them too!

deeb66
21-02-2008, 06:27 PM
It will probably be new to them too!

I have no doubt :rolleyes:

LittleMissSparkles
21-02-2008, 06:28 PM
do you iknow i dont know if we are coming or going as childminderswith all the different do's and don't ..... I wish just for once they keep to what they have originally said !

deeb66
21-02-2008, 06:29 PM
do you iknow i dont know if we are coming or going as childminderswith all the different do's and don't ..... I wish just for once they keep to what they have originally said !

That would mean that they were being consistent though........not in Ofsted's vocabulary :rolleyes:

ajs
21-02-2008, 06:33 PM
oh it is dee when they are telling us what we have to be

do you know i can't be bothered with it all any more i am going to continue what i do and if they don't like it i won't be classified a good childminder

i bet i don't lose any of my children as i don't even think one of the parents know what the classifications mean anyway.

Banana
21-02-2008, 06:36 PM
What a surprise!!

Yet more conflicting information!!

Im with Mandy.

Im doing what I normally do and if its not liked I dont care anymore. Its stressful enough!

x

manjay
21-02-2008, 06:37 PM
There is a reply to this letter from Sheila Riddall-Leech saying "It is important to make sure that all those involved with the child are happy to give consent for pictures to be taken and used to document children's learning. It is widespread good practice to capture children's learning through photos and is certainly not an issue in many settings"

So two completely different views!

amanda xx

deeb66
21-02-2008, 06:39 PM
There is a reply to this letter from Sheila Riddall-Leech saying "It is important to make sure that all those involved with the child are happy to give consent for pictures to be taken and used to document children's learning. It is widespread good practice to capture children's learning through photos and is certainly not an issue in many settings"

So two completely different views!

amanda xx

Now I am definately confused :eek:

manjay
21-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Now I am definately confused :eek:

Sorry I didn't make that very clear. The original letter was from Sheila Riddall-Leech and she was passing comment on an EYFS article in last months magazine. The reply to her letter was from Ruth Pimental from the National Strategies!

amanda xx

deeb66
21-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Sorry I didn't make that very clear. The original letter was from Sheila Riddall-Leech and she was passing comment on an EYFS article in last months magazine. The reply to her letter was from Ruth Pimental from the National Strategies!

amanda xx

That makes more sense now ;)

Obviously 2 conflicting views then :rolleyes:

angeldelight
21-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Think I will just go to bed ha

Angel xx

Blaze
21-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Well at my next network corse they are giving out digital cameras to help meet EYFS requirments for obs!....the only reason I'm going & one of the only perks of being on the network!
Tasha:)

deeb66
21-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Well at my next network corse they are giving out digital cameras to help meet EYFS requirments for obs!....the only reason I'm going & one of the only perks of being on the network!

Where did you hear this Tasha?

I also heard this but have since heard something else!

Blaze
21-02-2008, 08:12 PM
My network co-ordinator told me...Monday 3rd March in Reigate I think... it's an evening course...I got the impression that everyone in the Surrey Quality Assured Network is getting a digital camera...but those that attend this specific course get first pick as it were (& of course the certificate)!!!!

deeb66
21-02-2008, 08:13 PM
My network co-ordinator told me...Monday 3rd March in Reigate I think... it's an evening course...I got the impression that everyone in the Surrey Quality Assured Network is getting a digital camera...but those that attend this specific course get first pick as it were (& of course the certificate)!!!!

I will send you a PM

Blaze
21-02-2008, 08:18 PM
OK!

Tatia
22-02-2008, 11:49 AM
I know, I read that same letter in Child Care mag and was like "WHAT?!" You can't hardly discuss EYFS with any "expert" without photos and even video being empahasized as good practice, so long as you have permission and make copies available to parents. If it's a matter of using photos strictly as obs (and not promotional) then the questoin of confidentiality doesn't even play into it because all that info on a child is kept under lock and key anyway.

I just want to know whose current practice she is referring to?!:mad:

oakie dokie
22-02-2008, 02:07 PM
i get it! we have to have 2 sets of obs, one with photos and one without. we can just show the one that is current!:laughing:

hazelx

deeb66
22-02-2008, 02:10 PM
i get it! we have to have 2 sets of obs, one with photos and one without. we can just show the one that is current!:laughing:

hazelx

Very good Hazel.

Looks like we all might be adopting this practice :laughing: :laughing:

miffy
22-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I wish I hadn't read this then I could have just drifted along in my own little world la la la la la la la

I wouldn't mind a free digital camera though - will I have to move to Surrey to get one

Miffy xx

sarah707
22-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I wish I hadn't read this then I could have just drifted along in my own little world la la la la la la la

I wouldn't mind a free digital camera though - will I have to move to Surrey to get one

Miffy xx

i used to work in Surrey - is that close? :D

deeb66
22-02-2008, 04:26 PM
i used to work in Surrey - is that close? :D

No sorry Sarah :D

Where abouts did you used to work?

sarah707
22-02-2008, 04:32 PM
No sorry Sarah :D

Where abouts did you used to work?

Well I lived in Chiswick for 7 years and for the last 4 I worked in Camberley for a little company that designed and sold typefaces for apple Macs and PCs called 'Faces'.

They were based in the owner's house to start with - just me and her - she took me on because she needed someone who knew what they were talking about while she took maternity leave.

By the time I left with dd there were 10 of us in an office above a Chinese take away and carpet shop... a real success story! It's still there, I spoke to the guy who replaced me a few weeks ago - he's been there 14 years! :D

deeb66
22-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Well I lived in Chiswick for 7 years and for the last 4 I worked in Camberley for a little company that designed and sold typefaces for apple Macs and PCs called 'Faces'.

They were based in the owner's house to start with - just me and her - she took me on because she needed someone who knew what they were talking about while she took maternity leave.

By the time I left with dd there were 10 of us in an office above a Chinese take away and carpet shop... a real success story! It's still there, I spoke to the guy who replaced me a few weeks ago - he's been there 14 years! :D

I used to work in Chiswick & Hammersmith....in fact being London born and bred I have worked in quite a few areas.

Camberely is not that far from me!