PDA

View Full Version : Collection by a 14 year old?

Sadie's Mum
05-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I have just signed contracts for a new mindee to start in September :jump for joy:

She is 3 years old and will be coming 1 day a week all day. Mum said it will be her older sister who is 14 years old who will be collecting her at the end of the day. Is there a legal minimum age for collecting? Or is it ok for me to hand over the care of a 3 year old to a 14 year old providing I have got the parent to sign something? :panic:

FussyElmo
05-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I know there is no legal age for a child to babaysit depends on the maturity of the child. However you can be had up for neglect if the child does have an accident while the older child is looking after lo.

Hope someone comes along with a definate answer for you if not ring ofsted and see what they say:)

Mouse
05-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I know the nursery where I collect from will only hand over to someone 16 years old or older.

I'm not sure if that's their choice or if it's a regulation.

I'm sure someone who knows will soon be along!

Sadie's Mum
05-08-2009, 05:33 PM

She not long left so I have emailed Ofsted but obviously not going to get a reply from them until at least tomorrow so just wondered if anyone else on here knew whilst I waited to hear back from them.

I'm also going to ring my NCMA insurers in the morning to see what they say

nannymcflea
05-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm sure it's over 16's only unless they are the parent, I'm probably wrong but I'd be unhappy to do this myself.

balloon
05-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Don't know about the law but I wont hand a child over to anybody under 16 either (unless it was their parent obviously).

I was asked by one of my parents to let her 14 YO dd pick up several times but just kept refusing

(why? well, what happens if 14 yo drops a baby and severely bruises him, and then tries to cover herself form getting into trouble with parents by saying she picked up like that, how can you prove differently?)

cuffleygirl
05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Would be interested to know the answer - 14 year old sibling brings my mindee but does not collect but parents have asked. My worry what if something out of the ordinary happens?

zillervalley
05-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I was put in this position a few years ago, i myself was not keen on the positition so said no,

you have done the right thing checking with ofsted, it was the local authority I WAS WITH WHEN IT HAPPENED TO ME THEY BACKED ME ALL THE WAY

ZILLER

MissTinkerbell
05-08-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure of the legalities and who would be responsible if something were to happen. If you had it in writing from the parents that once child handed over yu were no longer responsible then that should cover your back. However like others I do think it depends upon the maturity of the older sister. I was regularly babysitting at 14 for my goddaughter and her sister.

I used to occasionally let my 11 year old mindee go home with her 14 year old sister but this was only when mum was going to be late (and it was a 7pm pick-up) - think I can count on one hand the number of times she picked her up and mum was on her way and she would text me as soon as she got home. However I had this in writing on the contract that older sister could pick up in an emergency.

Mind you I don't think I'd be happy with a 14 year old regularly picking up a 3 year old. Occasionally maybe. How long is the 3 year old going to be in the care of the sister?

Lady Haha
05-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I was told by my development worker that I was not allowed to release any mindees to people under the age of 18! This was because a 14 year old sister of one of my 5 year old mindees sometime picked him up and walked him home, (they live a five minute walk away).

I do think it's daft though, cos I see so many older siblings picking up their younger siblings at school and the teachers happily wave them off with an 11 year old!!

sweets
05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
i think if ofsted ok'd it and you weren't responsible after they had gone then i wouldn't mind, how long a walk home do they have? some girls especcially those with younger siblings are very responsible, i babysat at 14 and often took children out for the afternoon.

Hebs
05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I do think it's daft though, cos I see so many older siblings picking up their younger siblings at school and the teachers happily wave them off with an 11 year old!!

not in my son's school :)

they won't let them go with anyone younger than 16 :thumbsup:

peanuts
05-08-2009, 06:18 PM
i have it in my policy document that no-one under the age of 16 is allowed to collect. only had to say this once a few years back and said that it was a requirement to parent.

Bananabrain
05-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I currently have a 14 yr old boy pick up his ten yr old brother sometimes.

I have it in writing that the parent has agreed. It's a single parent and sometimes there is no choice because he doesn't have any childcare backup or extended family.

I have to say that I am not entirely happy,but it is only occasionally and I don't drive so wouldn't be able to drop the child off.

Gizmo
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
My mindees mum has asked if her 12year old can pick the lo up she is 2 I have told her no and on the days she is late I will walk round to her mums (just the next street) to drop her off

Pipsqueak
05-08-2009, 08:48 PM
There is no age limit - you would need parents signed permission as you would for anyone else collecting. I would get who ever is collecting to sign the child out as well.

Defo worth getting Ofsted/NCMA take on it but a cm friend had this and was told that as long as the parents gave written permission then there is nothing we can do about it.

I stipulate in my P&P's that no child will be handed over to an under 16 (unless it was a parent).

Its like we cannot refuse to hand over a child to an intoxicated parent.

nokidshere
06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't allow anyone under 16 to collect a child from my home. Nor would I let a child leave with a seriously intoxicated parent. There may or may not be a legal age limit but my house my rules. If the parents don't agree then I don't take them on.

Pipsqueak
06-08-2009, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't allow anyone under 16 to collect a child from my home. Nor would I let a child leave with a seriously intoxicated parent. There may or may not be a legal age limit but my house my rules. If the parents don't agree then I don't take them on.

There are ways around not letting a child leave the house with an intoxicated parent (especially if they are driving) but we cannot refuse to let a child go with their parent - it would be classed as abduction.

Sadie's Mum
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know what Ofsted and NCMA said about this

Ofsted said it was outside their legal remit and couldn't advise :rolleyes:

NCMA said it was absolutely fine and in fact a very common question that they get asked. She said just make sure the parent understands and has signed something saying that once the mindee has left me she is no longer my responsibility and not insured.

Mari
11-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a child being collected by a 15 year old, I rang CSSIW who advised that I get a letter from the parent to say that it is ok. I had my inspection last Wednesday and he was ok with the letter that was signed by both parents. I would ring Ofsted to check though as different inspectors have different ideas.

TheBTeam
11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know what Ofsted and NCMA said about this

Ofsted said it was outside their legal remit and couldn't advise :rolleyes:

NCMA said it was absolutely fine and in fact a very common question that they get asked. She said just make sure the parent understands and has signed something saying that once the mindee has left me she is no longer my responsibility and not insured.

I think in that case if you are happy to go ahead with the care, I would point out to the parents to protect yourself that your procedure on collection, will be when the child is collected that they sign the child out and on the sign out sheet have it typed that the child was collected and space for any issues that you had notified the carer of and any injuries on the child leaving were recorded, if you get this signed by whoever collects adult or otherwise then you should be protected.

Mari
11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
What do ofsted mean by 'outside their legal remit'?

Pipsqueak
11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
What do ofsted mean by 'outside their legal remit'?

its a technical, Ofsted speak phrase meaning:

do not know
not their concern (until a complaint comes in)

Rubybubbles
12-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Okay this is interesting as I start with a 8 yr old in Sept, 2 hours afterschool, and when we went through contracts, her older sister (14) was put down as a name for collecting. I do know this family well, and also know the older sibling she is very grown up for her age. I will do a letter out to new mum to sign, not that she should be collecting that often, only if dad is working late and mum running late

thanks