PDA

View Full Version : picnics??

mushpea
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
how much food do you all take on picnics for each child, i try to be fair and give them all the same amount, the 1yrold and 2yrold and a 5yrold who eats very little has 1 round of bread, half bag crisps , fruit and dessert and the 8yrold and 10yrold have the same but full bag of crisps and more fruit, tommoro i have ran out of fruit so am going to give them all sandwichs and crisps and dessert then taking breadstics and packs of rasins for them all to snack on.
obvously older children eat more but when i give the older ones more the younger ones moan that they get 'other things' which is why i try to give them al the same but in variying amounts
how do you all do it?

oh and do you let them have a choice from the fruit bowl through the day as they want it or just at regular times.

zillervalley
04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I make up food bags to suit the different mindees,and no they dont have pick of the fruit bowl when they like just at snack times, water on offer all times

ziller

nannymcflea
04-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Whatever you do don't forget to take food for yourself!

I don't let children graze constantly on fruit as I find they don't eat their lunch.

childmind04
04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I tend to take a bit of everything and share it out like you do, the older ones are the hardest to please :panic:

No they dont get free range of the fruit bowl just get snacks unless i think they are really hungry :)

sweets
04-08-2009, 09:05 PM
i had to move my friut bowl out of reach as i kept finding apples with little bites out of them!

Lincsminder
04-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I tend to pack one large cool box with sandwhiches, crisps, cut fruit, sausage rolls, scotch eggs, breadsticks and everyone just helps themselves.

mushpea
05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Whatever you do don't forget to take food for yourself!

I don't let children graze constantly on fruit as I find they don't eat their lunch.

i did this the first picnic we took and now everytime i am packing the picnic they all remind me:laughing:

they have all choosen their sandwichs and crisps and i have packed a load of other bits today cause they all get ravenous at the zoo, find it difficult with picnics somtimes as i have two fussy eaters one cause hes stubbon and one cause of special needs so good fun with any meal times in our house.:rolleyes:

tashaleee
05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
I tend to take a bit of everything - then share it out depending on who eats what (some will only eat certain fruit and 2 of mine hate raisins) and who has what appetite - have a 2 year old that will out eat a 5 year old ;)

As for fruit - we have that as a snack and not a constant graze and its never really been a problem for me

Roseolivia
05-08-2009, 08:58 AM
For picnics i take what i know the child will eat. Mindees aren't allowed to take fruit when they want, we have snack times twice through the day and they have a choice of fruit, raisins, biscuit, bread. Water is on offer all the time as we have one of those fridges where the water is on the outside so mindees help themselves when they want a drink.

Alibali
06-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I make up individual boxes for each child, so much easier at lunch time as I just take the lid off and put it infront of them:thumbsup: