PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a bit down now

Cazz
04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I had some prospective parents come to visit last week and I thought it went really well. Little girl was very confident and happy to play with my dd (who was a little angel!) and the baby was adorable.

The mum has phoned and said that she won't be using me - "please don't take it personally you are really nice and we could see you are more than capable but it's purely for financial reasons".

She is going back 2 days a week but the days would vary from week to week. I thought I was being quite generous (with my dd they would fill my under 5's spaces) as despite the advice given to me on here (sorry!) I said I would charge for 2 full days a week (if she worked on a Wednesday dad finishes at 1.00pm that day). That was one of the issues - the having to pay for 2 full days every week and also paying while her daughter was at nursery (I did say that all the childminders in this area do that to keep space open for holidays).

I tried not to get my hopes up too much but obviously did as I feel really disappointed now! It would have been an ideal starting point for me but I wonder if that may be part of the problem - the fact that I'm a new childminder and they would be my first mindees? If so, let's hope everyone doesn't think like that or I'll never get my business going!

Next thing I'll be worrying about the Ofsted inspector coming to do my pre-reg visit (waiting for a phone call!). I know I'm going about it the wrong way round but I didn't want to put this lady off as she's not returning to work until October!

Sorry to go on a bit, it does make you feel a bit better though! I've been shopping this morning and bought myself a Galaxy bar to enjoy tonight after the kids have gone to bed (chocolate therapy!).

Carole x

Daddy Day Care
04-08-2009, 02:14 PM
:group hug:

Sorry to hear about the mindee, but try and take some possitive from it, its great people are contacting you before your even registered and they did admit how nice you are so just concentrate on that.

As far as you pre reg visit goes, ive not read of a single one on here thats been bad, everybody worries but then they all coem on here afterwards and say how well it went.

You'll be fine hun

Gareth
xx

Daftbat
04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
You can't win them all - don't worry. Look forward to the next enquiry - you got a positive comment from them so you must be brill!

LisaMcNally09
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I think what some parents forget (including myself before I was a minder!!) is that we have numbers that we can't go over!! Some cant get to grips with having to pay for when there lo's arent there!! This is also made more difficult if tax credits arent helping them!!

If you have had positive comments then thats great and its obviously just the finances!!

Stay happy!!!!

:)
Lisa

Blackhorse
04-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree with Gareth...

unfortunately not getting all the mindees you see is how it seems to work and it is very hard...
the first parent I had round was for a 1 1/2 yr old girl full time.. It would have been perfect and she seemed to like me...everything she said while she was here was positive so I thought I would have a chance...and then guess what..I never heard of her again..I tried to phone her back at her work and left a message but she never phoned back..so I didnt bother anymore either...I was really really disappointed..more so with the fact she didnt even bother to call after she has spent time at my house....

but it will get better...and it is good experience to talk to parents...so next time you will be even better prepared...if you see what I mean..

and you got good feedback so dont worry about it...(and I know how hard that can be)

about the inspection...you are a member of this forum and will be better prepared then most people that aren't so dont worry you will be fine!!

Hope you'll have many more inquiries soon !!

cuffleygirl
04-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Has the parent picked alternative childcare yet? If they were lovely kids and parents that fitted in well - could you give them a ring and negotiate on price perhaps don't sell yourself short - poss offer to take childcare vouchers if that saves them financial outlay.

Sometimes a little less money for the right family is better than lots and nightmare mindees!

Chatterbox Childcare
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I had some prospective parents come to visit last week and I thought it went really well. Little girl was very confident and happy to play with my dd (who was a little angel!) and the baby was adorable.

The mum has phoned and said that she won't be using me - "please don't take it personally you are really nice and we could see you are more than capable but it's purely for financial reasons".

She is going back 2 days a week but the days would vary from week to week. I thought I was being quite generous (with my dd they would fill my under 5's spaces) as despite the advice given to me on here (sorry!) I said I would charge for 2 full days a week (if she worked on a Wednesday dad finishes at 1.00pm that day). That was one of the issues - the having to pay for 2 full days every week and also paying while her daughter was at nursery (I did say that all the childminders in this area do that to keep space open for holidays).

I tried not to get my hopes up too much but obviously did as I feel really disappointed now! It would have been an ideal starting point for me but I wonder if that may be part of the problem - the fact that I'm a new childminder and they would be my first mindees? If so, let's hope everyone doesn't think like that or I'll never get my business going!

Next thing I'll be worrying about the Ofsted inspector coming to do my pre-reg visit (waiting for a phone call!). I know I'm going about it the wrong way round but I didn't want to put this lady off as she's not returning to work until October!

Sorry to go on a bit, it does make you feel a bit better though! I've been shopping this morning and bought myself a Galaxy bar to enjoy tonight after the kids have gone to bed (chocolate therapy!).

Carole x

Sorry to hear the news but I am sure something will come up soon

How does the chocolate bar last until tonight???????????????????????:jump for joy:

Tatjana
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Of course it's upsetting not to be picked, it's natural no one likes rejection, we all get like that at times.

It's great getting lots of advice on here, but sometime you have to do what suits your business and if that means charging for hours worked instead of a full day then do what you think is acceptable for you.

Good luck in getting that first mindee asap :thumbsup:

xx

Cazz
04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry to hear the news but I am sure something will come up soon

How does the chocolate bar last until tonight???????????????????????:jump for joy:

I have been tempted a couple of times but I've been too busy this afternoon to stop and eat it! I'm telling myself I'll enjoy it all the more later on!

Thanks everyone for your nice replies - I know you shouldn't take these things personally and hopefully it will get easier as I get more experienced!

At least I've got the first parent meeting out of the way!

The Ofsted inspector phoned about an hour ago though and is coming next Thursday :panic: She sounded really nice (I think she's the same one my friend had a few months ago so fingers crossed it will go well!)

Carole x

youarewhatyoueat
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Don't feel down about it, you can't blame a parent for wanting to keep the cost down, it may not be worth her working if she has to pay for childcare. She has to look at her own financial position, its not worth taking it personally.Someone will come along often better.
You also should get your pre reg visit done as you may have found you weren't even registered by october, not sure how long it takes these days.

Cazz
04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
My pre-reg visit is next Thursday and I sent my references off with the application form so I'm hoping that will speed things along a bit. I know it will be the CRB checks that take the time but I'm working on the theory that because the schools are closed at the moment they may not be so busy :huh:

The chocolate helped and I feel much better now - I thought I was going to have to resort to reading some of Gareth's jokes!!! :D

Carole x

nannymcflea
04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Good luck with your pre-inspection visit I'm sure you'll do fine. If you have parents visiting before you are registered then I'm sure you'll be sorted quickly, it only takes one word from them to a friend and you're up and running.:D

zillervalley
04-08-2009, 09:03 PM
sorry about mindees, and good luck with your inspection I hope all goes well for you

ziller

Cazz
04-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Good luck with your pre-inspection visit I'm sure you'll do fine. If you have parents visiting before you are registered then I'm sure you'll be sorted quickly, it only takes one word from them to a friend and you're up and running.:D

This lady enquired via a childminder I know that lives nearby who couldn't accommodate her.

I know that she'll give my number to others who enquire that she can't help, so fingers crossed there'll be some more on the phone in the next few weeks ready for when I'm registered.