PDA

View Full Version : What should we be called

Pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Just flipping through my Who Minds - page 8 a letter called Professional Identity from a CM who thinks we should have a name change.
I know we discussed this several times on here but Who Minds are inviting people to have their say...
mailbag@*************
some of the suggestions are
childcare provider
early years carer and provider
home based child educator and supervisor
day care supervisor

I am still all for being called Registered Childminder!:thumbsup:

FussyElmo
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Can't see what is wrong with being called childminder myself. Lets be honest even if they were to change the names we would still be known as childminder anyhow:)

Minstrel
04-08-2009, 12:39 PM
i agree with childminder although i think the Registered bit should be banded around a bit more as people (parents) dont appreciate that bit of it when they hear the word childminder.

sweets
04-08-2009, 12:43 PM
I think we should have a change especcially now we do a lot more work than we used to like EYFS. people will see us as different, than just babysitters. I quite like Early Years Home Provider (EYHP)

Pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I think we should have a change especcially now we do a lot more work than we used to like EYFS. people will see us as different, than just babysitters. I quite like Early Years Home Provider (EYHP)

Do you think we do more work now than before EYFS??? I don't - I do just the same.
EYHP - but we dont just provide childcare for the Early Years do we - I think we would be cutting ourselves out of a big chunk of the market if.

Sorry don't mean to be critical of your post and thoughts:blush:

Email them everyone.

Daftbat
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
It won't make any difference what we are called - someone called me a babysitter again the other day!:angry:

Pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 12:53 PM
It won't make any difference what we are called - someone called me a babysitter again the other day!:angry:

sorry Penny but lol!!! I must admit that was one of the first things that popped into my head when I read this letter! We will still be called babysitters.
Its the rest of the sector and public that needs educating as to what a childminder actually is/does

sweets
04-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Yes see what you mean but i don't think parents (apart from ones we have) know that childminders do EYFS and all the things that LO's do in nusreries. they see us as just babysitters. I was a nanny for a long time before becoming a CM and didn't have to do any paper work, i was quite shocked when i looked into CM and i will be honest and say that i thought of CM as inferior care to nannies, but now i know different! big time. We are proffessional people whom i think need more of a professional name.

Spangles
04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't mind the name 'childminder' as long as people could understand what the role actually means.

In my opinion, what's the point of changing the name, people will still not know what we do and just think we are coming up with a silly title like 'vision clearance engineer' for a window cleaner!

Chatterbox Childcare
04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I am with you Pip.

deeb66
04-08-2009, 01:41 PM
This subject has been raised so often over the years and never seems to go anywhere.

I too am happy with Registered Childminder :thumbsup:

Dee

Hebs
04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
i think people need educating as to what we actually do :thumbsup:

maybe

Perfessional Childminder, ie NOT babysitter :angry:

ZoeAlli
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I think Registered childminder is ok.
I agree, it's the public and others within the sector that need to be educated about what we do!

Pipsqueak
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
i think people need educating as to what we actually do :thumbsup:

maybe

Perfessional Childminder, ie NOT babysitter :angry:

I have emailed saying as much (about educating and marketing us properly - which I personally think the NCMA could do more of)

Tatjana
04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I think it's to show (educate) the public how much we do now compared to how it used to be. Most people haev no idea about us doing the EYFS, every friend i've mentioned it to are amazed, lol!

I don't mind being called a Childminder either....I met someone at the weekend and when they asked what I did and I replied 'childminder' they didn't have anything to say to me?!

xx

flora
04-08-2009, 03:16 PM
i like reg cm myself.

i think the others are too vague and "fancy" and not descriptive enough.

as pip says ncma should do more to raise our professional profile.

breezy
04-08-2009, 05:08 PM
i like reg cm myself.

i think the others are too vague and "fancy" and not descriptive enough.

as pip says ncma should do more to raise our professional profile.

totally agree!

Hebs
04-08-2009, 05:11 PM
ooh oooh oooh

i know

:D

Skivvy :thumbsup:

Little Pumpkins
05-08-2009, 09:20 AM
miracle drop of a hat workers!

thats how I feel when I have two seconds notice of things lol

Tam's Tribe
05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't mind the name 'childminder' as long as people could understand what the role actually means.

In my opinion, what's the point of changing the name, people will still not know what we do and just think we are coming up with a silly title like 'vision clearance engineer' for a window cleaner!

I totally agree . . .

To be honest, when I was in the corporate world I didnt really view childminders as a profession . . . I thought it was mummys staying at home making pocket money and not getting a 'real' job, like me **DONT HATE ME** . . .

BUT now that I decided to become a childminder myself (I want to work for myself, earn money and look after my kids) do I appreciate exactly what being a childminder entails . . . you are all business people, running your own business and know all about marketing, accounts, MIS and so much more!

Plus the most important thing is that you are shaping children and helping them develop to reach their full potential.

You are all FANTASTIC and I am now proud to say I AM A CHILDMINDER!!!

Spangles
06-08-2009, 09:46 AM
you are all business people, running your own business and know all about marketing, accounts, MIS and so much more!

Ha ha! Speak for yourself! I have no idea what MIS is? :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
06-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Ha ha! Speak for yourself! I have no idea what MIS is? :laughing: :laughing:

Moaning in Sync?
Most Idiotic S*ds?
:D

gegele
06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
childminder: stay at home mum who drinks coffee all day, sit on her bum and earn a bit of pocket monnaie but looking after the neighbours kids!!!! come on ladies, looking after kids how hard can it be? at least you stay at home! ....

if only they knew!!!!!!!

we also eat biscuits ah ah ah ah ah ah

don't argue with ignorants.

sweets
06-08-2009, 11:43 AM
childminder: stay at home mum who drinks coffee all day, sit on her bum and earn a bit of pocket monnaie but looking after the neighbours kids!!!! come on ladies, looking after kids how hard can it be? at least you stay at home! ....

if only they knew!!!!!!!

we also eat biscuits ah ah ah ah ah ah

don't argue with ignorants.

Actually thats a big disadvantage for me being at home as i do eat LOTS of biscuits and i am getting FAT!:laughing:

Mollymop
06-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I saw this in Who Minds when i spotted our Mandy! ha
Some of the suggestions were very long and I doubt they would stick.
i like the idea of Homebased childcarer, or as they call them in canada "dayhomes" Sounds so much nicer than "childminder"
We definately need a new title. x

Lady Haha
06-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Hee hee! I was talking about this with one of my parents the other day after getting Who Minds.

I had to laugh at the suggestion we call ourselves 'home-based early years foundation stage carer and provider'. I don't know about you, but I would definately keep forgetting what I was then!!! I said to my parent 'imagine I had to ring you at work for something and they had to tell you that your 'home-based early years foundation stage carer and provider' was on the phone for you!':laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I like the idea in a post a bit further up that included the word 'professional' as that really does sort out the childminders from the babysitters!

How about Professional Home Based Child Carer? Or just Professional Childcarer would be fine.

Mouse
06-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I always refer to myself as a Registered Childminder. So many people say they are 'childminders' when they're not actually registered. I like to think stressing the registered bit shows I am legit!

I have moaned at other childminders who refer to themselves as "just a childminder". There's no just about it!

Willowdancer
06-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Self-employed early years care provider ;)

I think we need something that sounds completely different to "baby sitter" cos I'm sick of people asking me "how's the baby sitting going?" :mad:

zillervalley
06-08-2009, 03:46 PM
nothing wrong with childminder, when I first started 24yrs ago, we were classed as day care parents,

like registered childminder myself

ziller

zillervalley
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Self-employed early years care provider ;)

I think we need something that sounds completely different to "baby sitter" cos I'm sick of people asking me "how's the baby sitting going?" :mad:

Hi , yes that does get up my goat as well

ziller

Lo0py
06-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I think childminder is just fine - otherwise you start going down the route of silly names like crucial appliance engineer (washing machine repairman/woman), public transportation operator (bus driver) that just make it look like you are trying to disguise your role as if it is something to be ashamed of.

Chimps Childminding
06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I think Registered Childminder is good!!!!! won't stop some people thinking we are baby sitters I know, but they would still think that whatever we were called!! I always put REGISTERED childminder on any forms I fill in as opposed to (just) childminder!

Pipsqueak
06-08-2009, 06:39 PM
I think Registered Childminder is good!!!!! won't stop some people thinking we are baby sitters I know, but they would still think that whatever we were called!! I always put REGISTERED childminder on any forms I fill in as opposed to (just) childminder!

I always put Registered childminder on stuff as well!:)

Mollymop
06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I always put Registered childminder on stuff as well!:)

Yep me too and alway say it too!

I am fed up of being asked how my babysitting is going as well, but then they are usually from people who don't do anything or bother to have any ambitions so all I think is, well at least I do something worth while with my life, love!

LOOPYLISA
06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Yep me too and alway say it too!

I am fed up of being asked how my babysitting is going as well, but then they are usually from people who don't do anything or bother to have any ambitions so all I think is, well at least I do something worth while with my life, love!

Hubbys a plumber

I always say corgi registered heating engineer ! (well he is) :thumbsup:

Mollymop
06-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Like our local lollypop lady I forget what they are called now but something like "road crossing safety personel" Bless em

Darren is a water road worker but has the title of "utilities supervisor" and when he is working a digger, instead of Digger driver he is "Plant operator"

:clapping: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Like our local lollypop lady I forget what they are called now but something like "road crossing safety personel" Bless em

Darren is a water road worker but has the title of "utilities supervisor" and when he is working a digger, instead of Digger driver he is "Plant operator"

Dunno what i am!!!!, was a nursery nurse then REGISTERED childminder, now

.................................................i have no name :laughing:

Daddy Day Care
06-08-2009, 09:13 PM

Hope hes not still working here with the thunder and lightning wev'e had today, loads of roads have flooded

Mollymop
06-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Hope hes not still working here with the thunder and lightning wev'e had today, loads of roads have flooded

In kettering? he was hoping he would get rained off so he can come home. Me too, cos i miss him when he working nights. boo hoo:(

childmind04
07-08-2009, 07:00 AM
I always refer to myself as a Registered Childminder. So many people say they are 'childminders' when they're not actually registered. I like to think stressing the registered bit shows I am legit!

I have moaned at other childminders who refer to themselves as "just a childminder". There's no just about it!

I also stress the registered bit too :)

miss muffit
07-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Registered childminder sounds ok to me as i have been one for 23yrs now!

What makes me laugh is when you go collect the kiddies from school and the

other children ask them who i am, they say "oh thats my childminder"

Have i lost my christian name?!!!!

The Juggler
07-08-2009, 01:58 PM
mine do that too but my dd says proudly, that's my mum ,she's a childminder. She's told me lots of times that she wants to be a childminder when she grows up. How sweet is that.

kellym3
07-08-2009, 02:48 PM
registered childminder that it thats the 1.

sweets
07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
registered childminder that it thats the 1.

yes but isn't saying 'registered childminder' defeating the point as by law we should ALL be registered. So to me saying registered childminder is like saying 'i am registered but some childminders aren't'. Its like saying qualified doctor, or registered accountant, qualified nurse. its something that you should just be able to assume.
Not sure ive explained what i mean very well!
Anybody get what i'm saying?:blush:

cabby
07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

my partner builds gearboxes, he calls himself a "transmission technician" :laughing:

ChocolateChip
07-08-2009, 05:22 PM
yes but isn't saying 'registered childminder' defeating the point as by law we should ALL be registered. So to me saying registered childminder is like saying 'i am registered but some childminders aren't'. Its like saying qualified doctor, or registered accountant, qualified nurse. its something that you should just be able to assume.
Not sure ive explained what i mean very well!
Anybody get what i'm saying?:blush:

Yes, I do get what you are saying Sweets, but there are differences e.g a chartered accountant, or between an SEN, SRN, etc. and we all know we are professional, it's the general public who don't. So I also stress the Registered bit. We have worked hard to get it so why not make use of it!:D
And there are unfortunately still a few out there who aren't registered.:mad:

Spangles
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't bother to say 'registered' because people that think we are babysitters wouldn't have a clue that that meant anything anyway.

I know I'm registered and they can ask me if I am if they know such a thing exists! I honestly don't think that means much to most people.

We are babysitters who just sit around all day being lazy and being paid for it waaaay more than we deserve - that's what it seems like anyway sometimes!

Hey ho!

watgem
08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
my hubbies a plumber and we call him a heating engineer too cos everyone thinks plumbers are" grease monkeys" or "rogue traders" and I for one am fed up of being called a babysitter or asked how my babysitting jobs going. I really like the Americans name of family daycarer, or professional childcarer-after all we don't just "mind" children. I think a change would be good:)