PDA

View Full Version : POTTY TRAINING

It's a small world
04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi

My mindee is potty training at the moment and has been doing quite well. However mum told me today that they've had a few accidents over the weekend :(
I tend to ask him every half hour or so if he needs the potty and he tells me yes or no. This has been working quite well. Anyway this morning been asking him and he's said no . Went into kitchen to make lunch and he's wee'd on my carpet.:eek: ( all new to me as my son was out of nappies in a weekend and altogether in 3 weeks - never:eek: used potty and stood up :p, only ever had about 5 accidents in that time too ) So need advice. I've changed him and not made a big deal about it , wanted a sticker but told him needs to use potty. What do I do about wet pants etc. Do I wash them and put in a bag or what. Would be happy to dry them but don't think I'll have time and tumble dryer waiting to be fixed :( ..

Never had to potty train so this is all new to me.....

FussyElmo
04-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Im potty training my son at the moment. All last week completely dry no accidents yesterday 2 accidents within half an hour. I just cleaned him up changed him and just said try to use potty/toilet. Today back to no accidents (fingers crossed).

I dont wash my mindees pants when she has had an accident - they are put into an nappy and put in her bag.

He's probably testing the water with you (sorry no pun intended). How old is he?

sweets
04-08-2009, 12:40 PM
They are all different about potty training, i am doing a little girl at mo thats just turned 2, good so far but went all morning without a wee then nearly filled the potty at lunchtime, she must have a BIG bladder! lol.
I think the key is to not make a fuss and def no sticker unless they wee in potty or toilet. i prefer them to use the toilet really as its more hyginic and easier when out and about, i had a boy once that was only used to a potty at home and was scared of the toilet so i now use both from day one. LO using both at mo but as i have no downstairs loo the potty is sometimes easier.
How old is your mindee? and are you sure he is really ready for training? if so then just persevere and have cloths at the ready! lol

~Chelle~
04-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I am potty training 2 mindees at the moment, they have surprised me and done very well, definately ready. We even had a poo on the potty yesterday:clapping: Both are doing well at home too. I may try them on the toilet next week to see if they get on well with that.

We had just two accidents last week, put their dirty clothes into a carrier bag and mum took them home, I wouldnt wash them in case they dont have the same washing powder at you etc, it may cause a rash if they arent used to it, had this with my son a lot when he was younger.

Parents really need to work with the kids at home too, it is no point if you are working hard trying to teach them and they are not getting the same encouragement at home.

Try not to compare them to other children, every child is different. My oldest DS wouldnt go near the potty till he was 2 and a half and was toilet trained within 2 weeks. My yoiungest DS was 2 and went straight onto the toilet, I think it is because he saw his brother using the toilet and knew what to do.

Happy potty training!!!:jump for joy:

Daftbat
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Its completely normal for a slight regression at some stage in potty training. The lo i mind who has just got the hang of it had a bit of a backward step at one point. Keep doing what you have been doing, and, yes i would just put the soiled clothes in a bag for mum. I do unless i am doing some washing anyway and i will shove them in with my load.

little chickee
04-08-2009, 01:00 PM
i prefer kids to go straight to the toilet and not use potties at all. this is because some kids can refuse to use a toilet at all and i have minded a big for his age 3 1/2 yo who would only use the potty but he was far too big for it and the wee would go all over the floor etc!

no sticker if they have an accident but no "punishment " either. the wet clothes go into a carrier bag to be given to parents to wash - poopy pants however go straight in the bin - i would not want to receive dirty pants that have been lying in a sweaty carrier bag all day so i assume the parents wouldnt either!

It's a small world
04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
He's 2 years 5mths. To be honest I think he's been pressured into doing it ..My eldest was 2yrs 7 mths and his nursery tried and didn't have any luck said would try again after we came back from our weekend in Barcelona anyway that weekend my son decided didn't want nappies anymore and 3 weeks later he was out of nappies altogether I think we were very lucky !!!!

Anyway mindee is off to Oz later this year and mum has told him they have no nappies over there :eek: :eek: Anyway he has been pretty good and even said if he needs the potty.. she said today that he's had a few accidents this weekend both types (tmi sorry) but doesn't want to buy nappies anymore..she can cope with a few accidents :eek: She's also a friend so want to be careful on what I say plus I'm no expert as didn't really train my son...so :eek: (Quite shocked about her attitude and wouldn't threat no nappies over there...also promised toys if does in certain time.. what shocked me most was she gave him sweets last week before coming to my house (8am) becsuse he went on potty :eek: )

Def no stickers unless uses potty or toilet.....felt sorry for him and think mum either wants to show off that he's young and using potty/toilet or just thinking cost if out of nappies , but then you do have the hassle of having potty with you or finding a toilet (planning)....

Well don't want to be calling her but just think her approach is wrong...
Sorry to have gone on...

cuffleygirl
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
I had a nightmare with one mindee who parents insisted was ready but there is a difference between potty/toilet training and weeing in pants!

My mindee still had accidents a year after starting to try wet and dirty he would tell his parents most of the time (not all), me and nursery never! My sofa was his favourite place it drove me mad all clothes went home up to 3 sets in a day I was constantly watching him for signs and the sake of my furniture. If I asked him did he want to go he would always say no and tantrum if I took him - spoke to the parents on numerous occasions got nowhere I think I was doing it on their behalf to save their sofa. I have potty/toilet trained my own four children plus about half a dozen more all when ready its not an issue at all a couple of days and there you are!

I also asked on here for advice someone also suggested being prepared to potty train when the child is able to indicate the need to use the toilet which is what I have written into my contracts.

Will work for parents on this one not for them as for doing their washing no way and the volume also gives the parents an idea of what a mess it can make if the child is not ready.

little chickee
04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
It does sound a bit like its the parents who have decided he should be toilet trained rather than waiting for him to be ready - because they dont want to be buying nappies anymore - my experience is that if you push it too early it just takes so much longer.

my sister still trots out to anyone who will listen ( not me!) that her son was toilet trained at 26 months - now there is a big difference between being out of nappies and being toilet trained which he most definatly wasnt - accidents all the time and in a nappy for sleeps and being in the car.

Its just that she wanted people to think that he was advanced for his age and was somehow better than kids who train later. Used to pee me off no end as my oldest 2 boys are older than her boy and i felt like she was trying to be in some sort of " my son is better than yours" competition.

I fully accept that toilet training is all part of our job and i am happy to do it but when a child clearly isnt ready and are peeing all over my carpets and furniture all day and their mum just says "oh well , never mind" and then i find out that she is putting the child in pull ups at home to save her carpets its all a wee bit frustrating!:(

ZoeAlli
04-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I am with you on the frustrations of potty training. My LO is three next month and will pooh more often than not on the toilet but will only use the toilet to wee on if they have nothing on their lower half. Over the last couple of days has taken to weeing where it falls!! :mad: Have put them back in pull-ups. All my other children were trained by three- but I didn't have to push them and they were dry within a week!
The LO I mind was started last september and it took them 6 months (and lots of carpet cleaner & disinfectant on my carpets) before they were fully trained!!!- Mum's response when I said that they were having alot of accidents was that they weren't like that at home!!
I hope you can come to some agreement with the mum!! could you suggest that you give the LO a break from it for a couple of weeks and try again? - may they will be a bit more ready then! :blush:

It's a small world
04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I am potty training 2 mindees at the moment, they have surprised me and done very well, definately ready. We even had a poo on the potty yesterday:clapping: Both are doing well at home too. I may try them on the toilet next week to see if they get on well with that.

We had just two accidents last week, put their dirty clothes into a carrier bag and mum took them home, I wouldnt wash them in case they dont have the same washing powder at you etc, it may cause a rash if they arent used to it, had this with my son a lot when he was younger.

Parents really need to work with the kids at home too, it is no point if you are working hard trying to teach them and they are not getting the same encouragement at home.

Try not to compare them to other children, every child is different. My oldest DS wouldnt go near the potty till he was 2 and a half and was toilet trained within 2 weeks. My yoiungest DS was 2 and went straight onto the toilet, I think it is because he saw his brother using the toilet and knew what to do.

Happy potty training!!!:jump for joy:

Don't worry I never compare I know everyones different. I only mentioned my son was quick to explain that even though I have a 6 year old this potty training is all new to me.. I'm hoping my youngest will copy his older brother and make it easy a second time. lol

mindee is pretty good usually but like I said think its been drummed into him. Don't think he initiated the training iykwim... He can go a couple of hours without going..just feel sorry for him as it wsa like he was embarrassed when he had his accident :blush: .I'd say he's half way thier but told mum don't expect nights to be quick as I've heard nights take longer (again lucky with my own)and unless she's going to get up every couple of hours it might take longer otherwise lots of washing lol Thanks for the tips...I suppose its practice for when my lo is ready (unless I'm lucky to have two miracles.....:jump for joy: if only ...

Hebs
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
interested post :thumbsup:

my mindee C has just gone 2, and when she's having a poo she hides :o

but doesn't indicate when having a wee,

mum wants to try toilet training her but she's no where near ready :panic:

have advised her to take a week or 2 off work to start her off ;)

as i don't mind continuing it if she can do it at home, but i refuse to be the only one trying :thumbsup:

my daughter was dry during the day by the time she turned 2, my son was a week off his 3rd birthday :laughing:
kids are ready at different times :D

sweets
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
the little one i am training used to hide behind sofa to do a poo then come out and say 'sorry'! her mum said she doesn't know why as nobody has ever said anything negative about it. Now she is training though she is happy to do it on the toilet, me and mum were relieved as thought she may have a problem with it. But so far so good. only had one small accident today and wasn't bothered about it.:thumbsup:

nannymcflea
04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
I state on my policies that when we both feel the child is ready we can work out the best way to work together...do they take notice...yeah right!:angry:

I have one at the moment that isn't really ready but parents insist they are. I hate changing poo pants, especially when it smears over the legs when you take them off.:eek:

Kids are all different and it's a shame that parents feel pressured by whatever reason that their child should be dry at such young ages.

My girls were dry E at 19 months A at 3 1/2 so I have experienced a lot of pressure from preschool/parents etc with A.