PDA

View Full Version : Should I be offended?

Frostysgal
03-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Afternoon all,

I have been registered since Jan 09 and working since March, I look after 3 children 1 brother and sister and then another little girl. I had my inspection last month and was told unoffically I would be recieving a grade 4 to which I was happy with that as i've only minding for a short period of time. Anyway I have reviewed my contracts as things have changed and wanted to make it clear to parents where they stood with things. When the mindee was being collected today, mum started going on about a few things been on the new contract. She was saying that they had been looking at the rules and regs of minding and that I was doing somethings wrong although she didnt specifiy what these things were but said she just wanted to tell me to cover myself. She even suggested that I leave my husband to look after the children, not sure how that works when he works Monday to Friday..Then she went on about coming back round to sign my contracts and apparently her dad had seen it and said it was wrong and then apparently her husband had jumped in as well saying this, that and the other are wrong on my contract? But yet at the same time she is happy to leave her daughter with me??? I must admit it has upset me a little bit..should i be offended?

Frosty x

mum26
03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Must admit I wouldn't be happy about that. I would want to know exactly what she thought I was doing wrong in order that I could do something about it. I would ask her to arrange a time to go through the contracts together in order to sort things out.

Very strange saying your husband should be looking after the children!

I would feel a bit wary about working with her after saying these things and would want to make sure I had everything covered. I am a bit paranoid though!

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I think if she is saying this sort of thing you need to sit down with her and ask her to specify what she thinks is wrong so you can a. explain it to her and b. defend yourself.

It's likely you know more about minding than she/her hubby does so they might have got wrong end of the stick.

You might want to raise the issue of a complaints procedure with her but if she's doing it more as a friendly warning to you rather than raising issues then might be best to hold off on this for a while.

Ask her what they think is not right. Then you can put it right together. If you word it like this I'm sure it can be sorted in a friendly way. I personally would feel offended as you can't defend yourself without knowing what you are supposed to have done wrong but keep your professional hat on and don't let her know that!

Good luck. Let us know what happens

miffy
03-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I think you need to sit down and have a chat with this parent to find out what her concerns really are.

I agree with the Juggler - keep it professional and hopefully you can sort it out.

Good luck

Miffy xx

nannymcflea
03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Do you call parents in to go through contracts with them? I find it good to have things aired right at the start so we can all get things into the open and clear up any misunderstandings before they start.

Not sure about the husband comment though.:confused:

Frostysgal
04-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi Ladies,

Thank you for the advice,

The mum in question was meant to pop around last night to go through the contract and never came and then i've contacted her to find out if she is coming this afternoon as i've already said it needs doing before the next session i have her daughter and ive got no response.
A childminder friend said pretty much the same as you guys. I have asked her to let me know a time and date for us to have a review to discuss how the minding is going and to iron out any problems or concerns on both sides but i've had no word of this taking place.
I must admit I am beginning to wonder if I have the most awkward parents going and to be honest over the last couple of weeks it's made me sit down on a couple of occassions and think about whether im doing the right thing. I love working with the children and I don't want to give that up but i'm not sure how to handle these things.
My thoughts being that surely if I was doing anything wrong they would of picked up on it whilst they were doing my inspection and I wouldnt of been given a grade 4.
When I finally get in touch with her I will ask her to come and have a chat.

Thanks for the advice.

Alibali
04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
All sounds very cloak and dagger, is she trying to get out of the contract do you think?

Am I reading this right in that she is accusing you of leaving her children with your husband? If this is the case I'd make a point of documenting what has been said and your responses etc as it may turn nasty.

Ask her to be specific in what she thinks is wrong with the contract. If you are using the SCMA contracts there is not much that can be wrong if you follow the guidelines and if you have you will have the full support of SCMA whatever the outcome.

Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss things more specifically.

Lo0py
05-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Are you using a standard contract or one you have written yourself?

Is it possible that she may have misunderstood any references to your husband - ie explaining he has been CRBed or would provide care in an emergency etc?