PDA

View Full Version : What to do with qualifications?

Mari
03-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I have been childminding for 3 years. I began because I could not afford childcare for my daughter and to be honest I didn't really want her to be looked after by anyone else. The past three years have been both beneficial for myself and my family, financially and because I can care for them myself, but also it has been rewarding for me, I have been involved with lovely families and cared for fantastic children, I have met great people and my childminding friends will stay with me forever.
However, during my childminding I have undertaken some training and in addition to the DHC which I have now completed I have also nearly completed my NVQ level 4 in children's care development and learning. I had an idea when I started this course that I was going to open a creche. Well, two years down the line and I am not sure if I want to do that now. I don't know if I can do that financillay to start with, but also not sure if that's what I want to do either. I want to work with children, I'd ideally like to work within an early years environment, but the hours have to suit school, I'd like to continue to childmind before and after school.

So, the question is, what do I do, are there any jobs for me? Surely there is something out there for me with a level 4 qualification? What do you all think?

Pipsqueak
03-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Check with local nurseries and agencies. you might also want to check with your council and see if they have any jobs in the schools or nurseries.

good luck

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 02:43 PM
what about a TA role in school. Pay is not great but it is term-time only and short-day hours.

Or, work in a children's centre (not t-t only though)

Mari
03-08-2009, 03:10 PM
what about a TA role in school. Pay is not great but it is term-time only and short-day hours.

Or, work in a children's centre (not t-t only though)

I am looking at the schools, although there have only been level 2 roles recently, I did apply but didn't hear anything back (I hate that don't you!)

I feel as lost as when I was 16! I need a careers adviser!

The nurseries seem to be employing from within, sort of promoting rather than recruiting management staff. I'm still looking but want ideas also, TBH I think I want a job to just land on my lap!:rolleyes:

tammerisk
03-08-2009, 03:32 PM
ta is good but i think with a level 4 they will think you to qualified.
this happen to me with a level 3

do you not just want to carry on a bit a study to degree level then you could be a nursery school teacher or something along those lines

Mari
03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=tammerisk;489733]ta is good but i think with a level 4 they will think you to qualified.
this happen to me with a level 3

do you not just want to carry on a bit a study to degree level then you could be a nursery school teacher or something along those lines[/QUOTE

To do a degree wouldn't I have to go to college full time? I don't think I could commit to that amount of study. And also, I have been studying for the best part of 3 years now and really want to settle into a suitable career now that both my children will be in full time education. I'd love to do nursery teaching though, and if a degree was within relatively easy reach then I would do it, but I think it would be difficult for me, and too long!

I'm in such a turmoil! But thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep them coming.

sweets
03-08-2009, 04:49 PM
i may be wrong but with your qual you may be able to manage a childrens centre or even become a Development Officer. :)

manjay
03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
You can do part time degree courses. I am starting a Foundation Degree in September which will give me a level 5 qualification. I will then be able to go on to top it up to a full degree (also part time). I will be attending Uni 1 night a week. Not much use though if you want to start a job straight away. The one I am doing is also available to do completely by distance learning so you don't have to attend at all:D

Pipsqueak
03-08-2009, 05:15 PM
[
To do a degree wouldn't I have to go to college full time? .

I only study my FD part time at Uni, the rest of the hours is up to me

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I only study my FD part time at Uni, the rest of the hours is up to me

me too. just finished my level 5 and now doing my final year of degree part-time. One day per week for autumn then two evenings per week in Spring term.

However, don't worry about your level 4 for a TA. If you want to go on and teach it would be brilliant experience.

Our local school have lots of TA's being asked to now do their level 3 and level 4's. Lots of them are then going on to do the degree and graduate teacher placements. Because they have lots of classroom experience the schools are sponsoring them to do their GTP in their schools. This means you don't need to do your PGCE which is a full-year out of employment and in study/placement.

If you don't fancy teaching then definately look at DO roles. lots are looking for level 3 and above. Family support work in a children's centre = also level 3. Some of these are part-time hours so you could maybe do flexi and work more hours during term-time and then have most days off in school hols.

Good luck

sdean
03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I am starting the Foundation Degree through open university in October - if you contact them you may be able to get credits from your Level 4 and save you doing some of it? Worth looking into and you could get a job and carry on studying?:) :)

Demonjill
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Only wanted to say that you can get excellent careers advice from Careers Scotland - the job centre put me in touch with them when i was made redundant although you dont need to be out of work to use them. They have helped me loads cos im not sure what i want to do for the rest of my life!

And its free :thumbsup: :thumbsup: