PDA

View Full Version : soft play areas

sweets
03-08-2009, 09:10 AM
We go to a soft play area usually once a fortnight, my little mindee who is 2 often goes into the big area for over 3's. do you think that is ok? i am not always with her as she can get up independantly but can see her most of the time. The under 3's bit is a bit boring really and she is one of those children who is very active and is actually more capable and co-ordinated as my 3 year old!
Do you allow your littlies to go up on the big stuff?

little chickee
03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
i would let a 2 yo in the area for over 3's if i felt that they were competent enough. kids all grow at different pacees and some are able to do more than others of the same age.

the under 3 areas can become not interesting or challenging enough for some kids and whats the point of going to soft play if they are not going to enjoy it.

mum26
03-08-2009, 09:33 AM
I probably would let her but keep a very close eye on her and if too many older children were there then maybe try to persuade her to go in the younger area-especially if it becomes very busy in our rainy school holidays.

I would also ask for signed permission from parents to let them know that this is what I am doing. After reading about the childminder being sued for the accident on the trampoline I am going to be a lot more cautious-although hopefully I know my parents and they trust my judgement. Saying that the childminder did have signed permission from the parents for trampoline use - so who knows what protection signed forms give us?

helenlc
03-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I would also ask for signed permission from parents to let them know that this is what I am doing. After reading about the childminder being sued for the accident on the trampoline I am going to be a lot more cautious-although hopefully I know my parents and they trust my judgement. Saying that the childminder did have signed permission from the parents for trampoline use - so who knows what protection signed forms give us?

I agree - I am so much more paranoid about age related things for the children now.

I had a mum who didnt tick Yes to giving permission for her LO to go on large outdoor equipment and soft play etc. I discussed it with her and explained that I would only allow her daughter (2 this coming weekend) to go on age and stage appropriate equipment.

Our soft play area has Under 3 and over 3 sections, as most have it would seem. I think she will be ok in the Under 3 bit but not for long - soon she will get frustrated. But with another 3 yr old and 14 month old I cannot really go in with her.

However, we go to our soft play every Wednesday morning in term time for a cheaper rate. It is their quietest day and I would be inclined to let her try the big bit out every now and then on those days. Certainly not on busy days. I also go with other childminders on this day, so this may be my opportunity to ask them to watch the 14 month old while I go round the bigger bit with the 2 yr old to get her used to it.

I would explain that the little area is fine but you think LO might be ready for the next bit. Ask parents to sign a permission form - I think that other childminder's case was extreme and permission forms aree definitely still worth getting. Explain to parents that you will show the LO how to get about in there and to call you if they need you. Explain that you will attempt to keep them in sight at all times and try to get them to periodically come and say hello.

When I first allowed the twins I was a nanny for to go in the bigger bit, I showed them the basic way up and to the blue slide which they wanted to use to get down. Slowly I encouraged them to do it by themselves and before long, they were exploring all over by themselves. They are almost 5 now and I took them last week and didnt see them for 2 hours - except when they wanted food!!!:laughing:

sweets
03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks i only go to the play area in term time as can't stand them when they are busy and full of big kids! I will get her mum to sign a permission form though. there is no way LO would stay in the under 3 bit! lol. She knows the way up to the big bit better than me as her mum takes her and lets her up. I do go up with her sometimes but i'm a bit slow at climbing and she just dashes off and i end up looking stupid because it looks like i am on my own!!:laughing:

helenlc
03-08-2009, 12:32 PM
She knows the way up to the big bit better than me as her mum takes her and lets her up.

I would write this into your permission form - something along the lines of "I, parent of XXXX, hereby give permission for my child to go in Over 3s section in the soft play place. She goes in there when I am with her and happy for her to do the same with her childminder XXXXX"

That way Mum cannot plead ignorance about what the over 3 section is like in there nor make out that her LO has never been in there before.

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
i would let a 2 yo in the area for over 3's if i felt that they were competent enough. kids all grow at different pacees and some are able to do more than others of the same age.

the under 3 areas can become not interesting or challenging enough for some kids and whats the point of going to soft play if they are not going to enjoy it.

I would have until recently when I heard about the lady with the trampoline and ofsted took away her registration. She had parental permission as well but then the parents sued her!

FizzysFriends
03-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I let them in any of the sections they want (but not big ones in baby section), but I tend to go to the toddler sessions which are in school hours and in the holidays my DD acts as bodyguard to the littlest so none of the old children in there can be silly and hurt them.

angiemog
03-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I agree with The Juggler I would have done until I too read about the lady with the trampoline..... permission forms become void it seems if guidelines aren't followed regardless of what parents say. x

Blackhorse
03-08-2009, 02:00 PM
our softplay says under 3s need to be accompanied..so that's what I do with my dd...there is no holding her back..or we might as well not go to softplay as the baby bit does nothing for her..

so as long as I am with her..I think I am following the regulations of the soft play area we go to.
so I think with mindees would do the same...

mushpea
03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I stopped going to these when my kds where little becuase one time my daughter came back saying that some big kids had asked her and my son to pull their pants down so they could have a look:angry: :eek: it made me realise that when you are not with the children you can not see what is going on when they are amongst the equpitment so i have never gone back.
on relfection i should have spoke to the staff and had the kids thrown out but hine sight is a wonder ful thing

Deb
03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
why in god's name would you have them thrown out? How old were they? 17? seems a bit harsh.

I would let the 3 year old go in the over 3's bit, but keep an eye on her and take her out if it got too busy. I dont see the point in getting parents to sign endless bits of paper, doesnt seem to count for much anyway.

mushpea
03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
why in god's name would you have them thrown out? How old were they? 17? seems a bit harsh.

I would let the 3 year old go in the over 3's bit, but keep an eye on her and take her out if it got too busy. I dont see the point in getting parents to sign endless bits of paper, doesnt seem to count for much anyway.

they ask my children to pull their pants down and you wonder why i would want them thrown out??? is that acceptable behaviour then??? they were probably about 8 and 10yrs of age against my 2yrold and 4yrold, certainly old enough to know they shouldnt be doing it

Deb
03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
yeah they probably were - they did need speaking too.